Fridge pocket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trebor English

Reaction score
When adding insulation to a fridge or ice chest has anyone left a pocket where a laptop could go?  Inside my van it often gets to 105 and I think it is going to kill my laptop.  The battery is already toast.  I don't want to refrigerate the laptop, just put it where the temperature is 20 degrees cooler.  Are there any other suggestions?

Not good for the laptop itself unless you make 100% sure any condensation gets dried before powering up.

No harm really, long as air can circulate, usually they shut down if the cpu or gpu overheat.

Long term storing the battery cool is good, in a ziploc.

I bought a Pelican case for my lap top. it has been through some of the roughest, dirtiest, dustiest roads in the west. it has been in temperature extreme both hot and cold. I only take it out when I use it and when I am done I put it back in the case. this has worked for me. highdesertranger

Interesting idea I have just been keeping them out of direct sun under my pillow or sheets, but when it gets "that hot" I move,,, my last Dometic had a cover with a pocket about the size of my laptop. never thought about using it that way, interesting. It was meant for MAGAZINES

Trebor English said:
When adding insulation to a fridge or ice chest has anyone left a pocket where a laptop could go?  Inside my van it often gets to 105 and I think it is going to kill my laptop.  The battery is already toast.  I don't want to refrigerate the laptop, just put it where the temperature is 20 degrees cooler.  Are there any other suggestions?

The specifications in your laptop documentation will give operating and non-operating temperature ranges.  105ºF doesn't seem too hot for non-operating storage, since there are places in the US that get hotter than that.

It wouldn't hurt to store your laptop in a cool location, but store it in a ziplock bag and let it get close to ambient temp before taking it out and running it if you are in a humid location.  Moisture will collect on any surface that is below the dew point temperature.

-- Spiff

There are insulated bags people use to bring refrigerated/frozen items home from the market.