Fridge and batteries on drivers side = Too much weight on one side ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
In my Chevy Express 2500 I began building a box for my fridge.  I planned to insulate it well and have a couple hinged boards that I could raise as needed for cooking or other use.  One raised by side door and the other near bed.

I thought I would raise it high enough to have room underneath for gallon water jugs and also to help keep my dogs hair out of the cooling vents.  (just cleaned the coils and fans)

I set it in the door as you can see in the pictures just to check fit.

I realize now that it will almost completely block my view from the side door when I am lounging in my bed across the back.  I will miss the view too much!  So looks like it will have to go back to the drivers side where it was before.

My batteries are behind the drivers seat already so my 2 heavy items will still be on the drivers side.

Guess my tools in the back on the other side balance it some.

Attachments

• fridge box 1.jpg
    fridge box 1.jpg
    249.3 KB
  • fridge box 2.jpg
    fridge box 2.jpg
    1.2 MB
I also have much more weight on drivers side than passenger. I have rear airbag helper springs and it requires 10 more PSI on drivers side to even it out.

Not really a concern of mine because the van handles well.

Arrrrrrrrrgggghhhh tis a weighty problem fer sure !
Perhaps ye could get a really big dog to ride on th' starrrrrrrboard side ??

You could build the cabinet so that the water jugs sit on the floor, (they don't care about dog hair), and build a shelf above that for your cooler. The top of your cooler could be part of your counter.

This should make your cabinets a bit shorter and not block your view.cab1.jpg

Attachments

• cab1.jpg
    cab1.jpg
    237.1 KB
The most efficient as in storage space and weight distribution would be how I started the box build.  It has room underneath for water or whatever.  

And it is off the floor helping keep my close to 90 pound German Shepherds hair out of the fridge.  This would also give me room for more lightweight storage drawers on the drivers side.

I had thought about it but did not know how bad it would block my view.  That is part of the joy of living in a van seeing and enjoying new vistas even if I am laying around on my backside!

And yea I never really noticed any handling issues with the unequal weight distribution.  It must at least wear out the tires on that side more.  I don't know.

I am still in Florida on someones couch.  I don't like being where I am but the A/C is needed until I am more ready to leave for cooler places.  Very soon, ready or not.  Guess I will sleep on it and make a decision in the morn.

Thanks.  Seeker

I have a 2011 2500 express with one 12v battery 5 ft waist  high counter 8 gal fresh water and 8 gallon waist water tank bed in back  storage under bed and food storage all on left side . so far I have had no problems with 100k miles

4 bathroom scales (used for an hour and returned) and 2x4's and you can distribute your weight before bolting it in.

SternWake said:
I also have much more weight on drivers side than passenger.  I have rear airbag helper springs and it requires 10 more PSI on drivers side to even it out.

Not really a concern of mine because the van handles well.

FWIW The gas tank is on drivers side too  I wouldn't think no need to worry unless you notice the drivers side sagging

Isn't this why you have an awning and a comfy recliner?
So you can veg in comfort, a smoky fire burning and gaze at the view?
Bed inside is for sleeping during the night, a comfy chair or a hammock is for day use.

Dave

Ended up leaving it by the side door.  Took the legs off so I can see over it now and have a little storage  underneath.

It is very crudely constructed.  Was in a hurry and also am not wasting time on something I may not keep.  Although it is not finished I think the 2 layers of 1/2 inch polysio is really helping keep the run time lower.  And raised slightly will hopefully keep the vents cleaner.

Attachments

• van fridge box.jpg
    van fridge box.jpg
    311.3 KB

Latest posts