Freon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
I have talked to about 10 air-conditioner repair places and those that will work on an RV want 125 an hour to "check it out".  On the Military forum I belong to one of the members wrote that he had his repaired with a new substitute for the original Freon instead of a compressor swap and the additional costs. 

My question is has anyone had this done? And with what results. 

Anything I do will have to wait until June, May has been an expensive month.

Look around for a used unit and see if swapping the whole thing out might not be less expensive.

Jim, would it have to be identical to the unit in it now? It's an 89 Bounder, may be hard to find. RV shops are busy now, they don't really care if you bring it them or not. Ah well, this too shall pass.

The A/C unit completely comes off when replaced. There are just some wires and a hole in the roof waiting for whatever you decide to replace it with. I would think you could find the R&R of a A/C on you tube to get a idea.

After 1995 I believe, they started using R134a refrigerant in the dash air units. Getting yours converted over can be quite expensive....plus, you have to find out where your old stuff leaked from, or you will just lose it again.

It depends on how big the hole(s) are in your AC system.

When my AC started not blowing cold air, I recharged it with a $50 can that included (SOME) lubricant and sealer. This lasted for 2 years. After that, another can lasted 1 year. And then after around 4 years, it leaked within a few weeks after recharge. Recently, I put in this can of AC sealer and 2 cans of R134a. The sealer itself was like $30. So far, so good for nearly a month.

If this doesn't work, maybe 2 cans of sealer? You probably have nothing to lose if you're on the verge of paying to have your whole system either revamped or replaced. The sealer should work for R12, I'm not sure. I heard that there are compatible freons to R12, that's cheaper than the really expensive R12 too.

And Advanced Autoparts have a $40 off of $100 code, TRT41, which is amazing.

It's taken 3 weeks to find someone willing to diagnose it for a reasonable price. Should have the answer next week. The RV is at Cummins now to check the generator. And I'm broke, but that is as usual.

Propane works, but is not legal. Refrigerants used in vehicles come under the jurisdiction of the Department Of Transportation. They do not allow flammable refrigerants. I believe the refrigerant marketed for direct replacement of R-12 is propane rebadged.
The problem between the old and new refrigerants is the oil. The new refrigerant is not compatible with the old oil. Also when R134a and R-12 are mixed, they act as a catalyst with each other and the pressures get crazy high. All of the old oil and old refrigerant need to be removed before the new oil and refrigerant is put in.
You could take out the compressor, drain the old oil out and put in new oil, (ester based). Charge it up with r134a and run it for a while, (like half an hour. Take the compressor back off, drain it put in new oil etc. You need to do this 3 times to be certain all the old oil is gone. Big PITA.

Thanks Danny, the way things are going it will be winter by the time it gets in the shop. Then there is the small matter of if i can afford it. Do you think it would be best to just change the system to the new or repair with the old? I have access to some old style freon from one of our members.

Gunny said:
Thanks Danny, the way things are going it will be winter by the time it gets in the shop. Then there is the small matter of if i can afford it. Do you think it would be best to just change the system to the new or repair with the old? I have access to some old style freon from one of our members.

I sucked out the r 134a out of my truck and put r-12 back in. The new refrigerant doesn't work with the old oil, but the old refrigerant works just fine with the new oil. I believe there is a 20% efficiency drop with the new refrigerant. 

I would repair whatever was wrong and put back in r-12. What price do they want per pound? 
Here are two cans for $29 + shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CANS-NATI...ash=item568897d81d:g:qXEAAOSw-4BXZAkC&vxp=mtr

I haven't asked him the price yet, I was waiting to find out what I need. I may just buy it if possible and if things don't work out I can re-sell it.Cummins has one Onan mechanic and he is swamped, my old Bounder has sat there for a couple of weeks. That's for the generator. It's sort of a good thing, I have had a couple of unexpected bills pop up but such is life.

Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. Rob

Which I don't have.. Eliminates that for me. Everything I am having done to the RV is a work in progress. I've quit trying to predict when I will be on the road, just taking it as it comes. Had hoped to make the RTR, sort of happy I didn't now. It's a shame for all the people that showed up.

hang in there Gunny you will make it. it took me 2 years to make it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
it says you have to have an EPA certification to buy that R-12.  highdesertranger

The guy working on it has the cert. have him order it.  It is not a big deal to get the automotive cert. It is an open book test, and I think the book is 4 pages long. I rechecked the add and they are not requiring any proof. they are just covering their butt by that statement. Technically he will be buying it for resale to the mechanic who has the licence. The mechanic will then charge him for it. I guarantee if you made the purchase, the FBI would not be taking you away.

The test for commercial epa cert is a different story. I have a universal licence, so I can work on anything, (except cars). lol. By law I can buy a 55 gallon drum of refrigerant, but my licence does not authorise a one pound can because that is automotive, (a different licence). The whole thing is a big farce.

People think r-12 is illegal. it is not. you just can't manufacture it here. Mexico yes, here no.

To be correct, it is not legal to import R-12 either, but old stock and reclaimed r-12 is legal. The add says in part,
OR YOU ARE PURCHASING THE R12 REFRIGERANT FOR RESALE TO AN EPA CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN AND TO BE INSTALLED BY THEM
It is 100% legal for him to buy it, sell it to his mechanic who is by law EPA certified, and then the mechanic can sell it back to him.
The whole intent of the law was to ensure that people would not just blow the charge when working on a system. They are supposed to have a reclaimer and send the r-12 in for processing. Do you know how many shops send in r-12 for processing? I have never worked at any. Yes we did reuse it if it smelled good, but if it was contaminated, (had an acid smell), it did not get reused. Somehow it all leaked out before it could be shipped out. No laws regulate how much refrigerant china or Mexico blows off.

I do appreciate the advice. There are many things that I am qualified to do.. Mechanics is NOT one. The forum member told me he wasn't in a hurry to get rid of his so I suppose that's the way I'll go.

The helpful people on this , and a couple of other, forums re-confirm my faith in human nature.

Now if the engine doesn't blow up 5 miles down the road when I get all of this done I will be in good shape.

Now, with the help of my VA prescribed sleeping potion, I will bid you all good night.