Freeze Dried Food from Walmart.com

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted by kyonu - Today 09:10 AM
For those worried about the "freeze dried syndrome" (getting tired of taste, bad farts, chemical injected, high sodium, etc), has anyone tried storing Dehydrated foods?
That is what I currently do. Not sure of shelf life, but three year old dehydrated veggies are still good. Heavier and bulkier than freeze dried, but I can eat my normal diet without all the added junk. Haven't tried drying meat (use freeze dried), but veggies and fruit work very well. Time consuming to dry, but well worth it. -- Spiff

dehydrated is great too especially if you do it yourself. just a heads up some store bought stuff has chemicals in it also and not all freeze dried has chemicals in it. shop around, I like honeyville they have both and you can check the ingredients online. highdesertranger

I bought a few "Wise Brand" Like them, I didn't like the mountain house or the one I bought from w/mt. Ill stick with "Wise brand" remember to READ the package it might have a preservative packet in it--THAT MUST be removed before cooking .

Thought I would put this info into this free-dried thread rather than start a new one.

http://www.southernplate.com/2014/03/make-your-own-instant-rice-from-bulk-rice.html
This woman uses a dehydrator to dehydrate all kinds of food. So a DIY solar or electric dehydrator may be a good thing to add to your stash of stuff. It is cheaper than buying freeze-dried. How about shelf stable ground beef! She did that too. http://www.southernplate.com/2014/03/using-a-dehydrator-to-make-shelf-stable-ground-beef.html

I have seen electric dehydrators and additional racks in a few thrift stores. They generally don't last long. But you can not only make your own solar dehydrator but you can also make an electric dehydrator. So you might think about making a combo unit... a solar dehydrator with a light to add the heat so you can dehydrate in good weather or bad.

Yeah I've recently been using my dehydrator as well--man Red apples are so good dehydrated!!! Sweet chips.

I recently became aware of a company called Thrivelife foods. Are any of you familiar with them or have you tried their products?
I use Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, and Provident Pantry with confidence but would like to get more first hand user info on this company before trying if I can. Thanks all.

Been meaning to ask: On the upper right of our posts it says Reputation and today mine says Warning Level: 0%. Can someone tell me what these ratings mean? Thanks all.

Coffee Tim said:
I recently became aware of a company called Thrivelife foods. Are any of you familiar with them or have you tried their products?
I use Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry, and Provident Pantry with confidence but would like to get more first hand user info on this company before trying if I can. Thanks all.

Been meaning to ask: On the upper right of our posts it says Reputation and today mine says Warning Level: 0%. Can someone tell me what these ratings mean? Thanks all.

My mom buys Thrive all the time, and they're pretty good, albeit not that healthy for you... They are (unfortunately) not Organic, and are not raw. So they're burning away all the helpful enzymes in favor or longevity and calories. Which is good if you don't care about the quality of food over how long it lasts, but otherwise it's not for me.

Thanks Kyonu. I browsed through their website but didn't get excited over it. I noticed a lot of TVP in their products. I do eat soy at times but that wasn't what I was looking to buy. I know that many of these type of products contain soy and I have no problem with the original non GMO beans of yesteryear.
I just didn't get super impressed with the offerings. BUT...I did like the food storage racks if you have room.
Thanks for your response.