Free or repurposed stuff

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyDogs

Reaction score
I've been looking to buy a tool box to store the drill, Skil saw, and other miscellaneous tools but then I remembered that I'd found a toolbox on my neighbor's curb several years ago. It's been sitting used in a corner, and i just looked up the info on it: Platt tool case that costs over $200 new. Score!

I also just repurposed a 3 gal sealable bucket from work as my poo bucket.

What products have you found for free? What have you repurposed for alternative uses?

When I was a drinking man I would have thrown my tools in the bucket and pooped in the Platt case. While it was still on the neighbor's curb.

j/k

One of my favorite recyleable items is a 2L soda bottle. Ubiquitous and feather light when empty. Use it for storing water instead of those milk jug things (shudder) that degrade and leak. Store dry stuff like rice, or cut off the top for a funnel, or lay it in the sun for SODIS water disinfection.

In the "Don't Try This at Home dept, I also did an experiment where I stored samples liquid fuel (coleman, unleaded, alcohol), in soda bottles for a solid year to see what would happen. No discoloration, cracking, change in flexibility, etc.

frater secessus said:
One of my favorite recyleable items is a 2L soda bottle. Ubiquitous and feather light when empty. Use it for storing water instead of those milk jug things (shudder) that degrade and leak. Store dry stuff like rice, or cut off the top for a funnel, or lay it in the sun for SODIS water disinfection.

Great idea about the 2l soda bottles! I haven't had sodas in so long, it didn't even cross my mind! I was planning on saving my Ocean Spray cranberry juice bottles for storing water.

I really like free and repurposed!

I use the Ocean spray jugs for water too, prefer the rectangular shape for storing.

Laundry detergent bottles for pee jugs- cut out the pour spout if there is one- I like the ones with a large base....
Use a gallon one cut off as a funnel, drilled holes in the tapered cap and forced it into another for a grey water jug.
Smaller ones, as well as oil containers cut off midway make containers for screws, nails, etc. Several can fit in a milk crate, even double layering with a layer of cardboard or plywood between.

I use a plastic soda tray( that 2L sodas are delivered in- roughly 15x24 and 4h) as a door mat and step by my van door

Milk crates are great for corralling water jugs, tools, using as step stools, seats.....

Snap lid coffee cans of all sizes for flour, rice, pasta, crackers....

Found Emerald brand nuts in a screw top opaque plastic container that is about 16 oz and store change, dollars as well as food stuff.

The rectangular kitty litter buckets with the hinged top are great for dogfood, etc- they are easier to pour from as well by pouring from a corner.

Often carpet removed by installers or pieces too small to resell are tossed in the dumpster- I use the decent and free pieces on the van floor- toss em when they get stained and replace.

i keep an Altoids tin with toilet paper in it in my hiking pack and jacket pockets.

My walking stick is pvc pipe with penny tubes and blunt tubes inside filled with matches, iodine tablets, first aid,etc.

That's all for now, looking fwd to new ideas.

We use our "screw cap" pill bottles to hold our quarters for the laundry. Our normal sized ones will hold about $7.00 and that is enough for me to do our laundry at least one time, or more, depending on how much we have. I like them because we can keep them in our cars, and not have to worry about having change for the laundry.
Also works for tolls too, if they aren't over $7.00 and they accept change.
I use them too, when I make my Toothpaste, (Coconut Oil + Baking Soda) it won't leak if it gets too warm, keeps it in a smaller container to fill up when needed but not too big to carry in a toiletry bag.

Great ideas, Karl and #1BonbonQueen!

I've also been trying to think of how to repurpose the seat belts I took off the van. Those straps must be good for something, right?

I re-use everywhere:

Mini M&M tubes for quarters (perfect fit!)

Square 2# peanut jugs for dry goods , rice , rotini , 1/2 length spaghetti , flour , corn meal , cereal , pancake mix , bisquick , potato chips , raisins , instant oatmeal packets , cocoa packets , chocolate , cookies , batteries . (it's really unlimited)
I also built a pantry cabinet with shelves that fit them perfectly , no wasted space !

I tried the 2 liter bottles for water but the water leached plastic taste after a week or so , but I still use the 10oz bottles for day hike water jugs.(Fit in my cargo pockets...)

Cranberry juice jugs for freezing water for the cooler on canoe/kayak trips (last far longer than milk jugs which eventually crack open). I also use them for making flavored water mixes.

I sometimes rinse ligtly used ziploc bags for re-use too.

Woven onion bags make great crab catchers , just put a couple hot dogs and a small rock inside , tie some line to it and drop in the bay. Pull up every once in a while for a far better lunch than those hot dogs were!

TooManyDogs said:
Great ideas, Karl and #1BonbonQueen!

I've also been trying to think of how to repurpose the seat belts I took off the van. Those straps must be good for something, right?

I used seat belt straps on my Truck Fridge cooler. It came with big chunky plastic handles that added inches to the length. 

I screwed on some seat belt webbing instead of the plastic making handles that add nothing to the length! 

Dave

This is a part of a dishwasher I got rid of. Where you put forks and spoons to be washed.
I will use it for oil and vinegar, salt and pepper etc.,
I will screw it at the kitchen counter of the van. Very sturdy and deep enough so things don't jump out.
kitchen1.jpg

Attachments

• kitchen1.jpg
    kitchen1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
I cut up and reuse old jeans. Most of the time even if they are to torn up to wear in public. As in things hangin' out that should not be. There is usually lots of good cloth that makes good 'stuff' like quilts (heavy).potholders, bags, dog bed toys and coats, pillows and dish wrap bags so my glass stuff doesn't bounce and brake. Seat covers so the dog doesn't tear up the car seats. There is no limit to what those old jeans can do. and they wash great, no shrinking up or if they get to yukky, just toss. No big deal, 'cause they are just old jeans.
I reuse small dish soap containers for freezer ice.
I reuse all my plastic bags. For everything.
Coffee cans are my van kitchen canisters.
Old sweaters can be for warm dog coats.
Old T-shirts get cut up for shop rags.
Old Altoid tins make great purse sized first aid kits, sewing kits, water color kits, and tiny toy kits.
Onion net bags for scrubbies.
Old T-shirts for cloth bags
I am loving this stuff great ideas from everyone.

I repurpose the push button soap jugs for washing  my hands outside. It's a fast  and easy hand wash station without having to tromp inside. I tie a towel along side. Think, do this over a pan in areas that consider this grey water.

Attachments

• soap.jpeg
    soap.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Recycling of packaging containers is a bonanza.  I consume nuts in my diet and buy them in clear 30 oz plastic containers that are square with screw off large lids.  I have quite a collection of them now and store all kinds of stuff in them at home.  One of the handiest most useful recycles I've found.

Much of the stuff mentioned already I recycle too.  

One of the other things I save and recycle are the large round 35 oz coffee creamer containers.  These have small screw off lids with a resealable pour spout in the lid.  I keep Flour, Sugar, Coffee, Tea Bags, etc in them.  In the Flour containers I place a couple of Bay Leaves as a preservative.  Because these are tall the space they loose between them is made up in their height.  I cut the shrink wrap labels off them and they are all white.  Then with an ink marker label their contents.

12 & 24 oz Cottage Cheese Containers that come with lids are handy to have around too.  Although  they aren't the most space efficient owing to their tapered shape. But they are durable.

Corrugated boxboard boxes are square and the above packaging can be stowed in them to unitize
food items, spare parts, utility items such as nails, campfire starters, citronella candles etc.  This system will stow equipment in an organized manner and if anything has smells or odors it will limit
it leaching into the breathing air.

Twice a year I take all of this extra stuff I've saved up (like a pack rat) and go to the local Flea Market and sell the stuff for a few extra bucks.  Small cans of nuts, 7 oz, have lids like coffee cans
and men buy these fast to store nuts & bolts in their garages.  The coffee creamer containers young women seem to like. (I display them with Coffee, Sugar, Flour written on them so they see those as a
"bug free" solution in their apartments)

One handy thing I'd mention are those small metal International Coffee Cans that are square with the
grip plastic lids. Cafe Vienna, Mocha, etc come in them.

There are some food packaging items like the larger containers of potato salad, macaroni salad, baked beans you see in the deli at WalMart, Kroger, etc.  They are somewhat square and the lids grip reasonably tight.  Fine to keep in the ice chest for food storage.

I would also mention the food storage packaging at Dollar Tree.  Poor Girls Tupperware as some call it.  It isn't so much recycled as repurposed. But there are some odd sizes that are more durable
than similar stuff that comes with food in it. (small square butter containers as an example)

And lastly, one of the more unique things I've found was at a Public Library where they were selling off boxes of VHS tape plastic boxes.  .10 cent each.  I cut the two pieces out of the bottom that secured the spools of the tape.  Lovely durable snap top small boxes.  I see these in flea markets from time to time.

I'm using a 2oz Tabasco bottle as a toothpick dispenser. I remember that at some point in the past I ate at a restaurant that had these on the tables.

I used a $5 walker from the thrift store and a 2' piece of 1X12 from the scrap pile to make a surprisingly nice outboard motor stand.

Guy

Thrift store folding bedside commode as fancy and comfortable loo for potty tent. Insert slightly smaller bucket with tight-fitting lid inside commode bucket. Line with smaller bucket with a bag that is big enough to flow over lip of bucket to be held outside bucket with large rubber band or cheap hairband. Put kitty litter in bag. Fold down seat and seat lid. Tie bag off when used and dispose....bucket only needs a spritz of vinegar and a paper towel.

I 2nd the idea of snap lid coffee cans of all sizes. One holds my collection of condiment packets from fast food restaurants for the picnic table. The lid to that one screws on and so far squirrels and coons haven't cracked the code. Another coffee jug holds eating utensils for the table.

I use one with a snap on lid in the bowl of my porta potty. I line it with a bag as described for the bedside commode above. With the potty lid closed, no one knows the hack I use to make toilet cleaning duty easier. Plus it is simple to stick the jug in my tote bag and empty it at the next public restroom. Toss the bag and replace with a fresh one so it's ready for next time. I also use a coffee jug to keep the roll of toilet paper dry in the car and at camp when the air is humid.

Another one holds a small squeeze bottle of dish detergent, a sponge and dish towel. I sometimes use the coffee jug itself as a dishpan for small items. I have used two for laundering underwear, socks, a bandana, etc. My problem is that I can never throw a coffee can out!