Free Camping near Prescott, AZ as of May 5th 2020

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffroe

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the BLM land or National Forest land is open for camping near Prescott? We have been staying down near Quartzite but its getting pretty [emoji3062] Would like to get to a higher elevation and cooler temperatures. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I went through there a month ago it was pretty crowded, with schools out and most people not working a lot of vacationing nearby city dwellers were out. It is unusually hot this early this year, you may want to consider higher elevations and realize you may need to be in more remote locations to find an uncrowded camping spot.

BLM land down here near Sedona is open ie. FS525 & FS89b. It's been a little warmer than usual for this time of year im told, but between 80 and 90 daytime temps and a nice breeze.

Jeffroe said:
Does anyone know if the BLM land or National Forest land is open for camping near Prescott? We have been staying down near Quartzite but its getting pretty [emoji3062] Would like to get to a higher elevation and cooler temperatures. Thanks for any info.

Just left the dispersed camping area of the Prescott National Forest that abuts Prescott on the south east. 7-day limit, and popular with local folks who like to spend their weekends racing up and down dirt roads and shooting beer bottles. It was pretty quiet during the week though, and is a beautiful forested area. There are other dispersed camping areas on this NF, didn't try those, check the Prescott NF website for maps. And I know of people who were boondocking in the Camp Verde area.

In general, for both BLM and USFS, plenty of land is open for dispersed camping. It's the developed sites that are closed. Visit the website for the specific NF or BLM district that you are interested in to find out what is open or closed. They keep those websites updated.

Thank you to all who have responded. This is definitely not the greatest time to be a newbie out here! Especially when the person that was going to help us get started had personal problems come up so we are pretty much on our own! But we are making progress and sometimes the best way to learn is by making mistakes! Thanks again to all[emoji3]

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it! Hope to get out of here soon, son ended up in hospital! Of course then they wanted to quarantine him. Found out this evening he is Covid free so I hope they will let him out tomorrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk