Found a van for sale with a sticker hiding the, "check engine" light

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
I went to test drive a Ram 1500...Something, I didn't get the make, but it was this white, kind of smooth-looking cargo van with decent space and room.

It runs, but the turning feels all loosey-goosey, the tailpipe leaks and blows out white smoke, and when I sat inside it, I found this little black Velcro sticker lit up orange. I peeled it back a little, and behind it said, "CHECK ENGINE".

It's a nice-ass van and cargo vans are hard to find, and the dealer only wanted $4,800 for it, but I was so insulted and amused by it all I passed it up.

Is something like that possible to fix up and use? It still runs at least, but I almost don't want to give him any business on the laughable attempt at hiding a check engine light alone.

Run fast, run very far away. If they are doing the hide the defects game at that level, who knows what else is wrong with it.

White smoke probably indicates a blown head gasket or some other coolant leak into the engine.

Loosey-goosey—sounds like it has a lot of miles. You don't say what the indicated milage is but whatever it is, I am guessing it has a lot more than what the odometer says.

That's how you fix a check engine light. lol

Offer them $500

A check engine light is not the end of the world. But blowing white smoke is not good (blue is worse) so unless its mint and your willing to dump a bunch of $$$$ into it I would pass.

You don't say what the indicated milage is but whatever it is, I am guessing it has a lot more than what the odometer says.
Honestly as soon as I realized the sticker hiding the check engine light I couldn't focus on anything else and already decided not to get it. I was laughing the entire way during the test drive.

I went to test drive a Ram 1500...Something, I didn't get the make, but it was this white, kind of smooth-looking cargo van with decent space and room.

It runs, but the turning feels all loosey-goosey, the tailpipe leaks and blows out white smoke, and when I sat inside it, I found this little black Velcro sticker lit up orange. I peeled it back a little, and behind it said, "CHECK ENGINE".

It's a nice-ass van and cargo vans are hard to find, and the dealer only wanted $4,800 for it, but I was so insulted and amused by it all I passed it up.

Is something like that possible to fix up and use? It still runs at least, but I almost don't want to give him any business on the laughable attempt at hiding a check engine light alone.
White smoke means either a blown head gasket or a cracked cylinder. You don't want none of that smoke, literally. I'd offer them a couple hundred bucks at most.

I was looking to see if it was a late 90s or early 2k model Chevy. My advice would have been: get a new piece of tape and carry on. ( outside of CA). 😁

Engine is worn out. Transmission likely not far behind. If the white smoke dissipates in the air quickly could be steam from a blown head gasket.
If it smokes more after coasting, it is worn rings, (coasting puts the cylinders under lower pressure that pulls the oil through the worn rings. when you step on the pedal again it gets burnt).

It used to be pretty common on 1980s Ford pickups to put a piece of black tape over the check engine light, as they seemed to come on and often nobody could figure out why or how to make them stop.

Newer stuff should have better computers and store the codes. Simplest one I had was to replace the gas cap on my 4runner and the light went out. Done. It reported some issue with the fuel system. The seal in the cap wore, so it wasnt completely airtite.

The smoke certainly can be a big issue, and the loose front end parts can add up quickly in repair costs.

It used to be pretty common on 1980s Ford pickups to put a piece of black tape over the check engine light, as they seemed to come on and often nobody could figure out why or how to make them stop.

Newer stuff should have better computers and store the codes. Simplest one I had was to replace the gas cap on my 4runner and the light went out. Done. It reported some issue with the fuel system. The seal in the cap wore, so it wasnt completely airtite.

The smoke certainly can be a big issue, and the loose front end parts can add up quickly in repair costs.
Damn no wonder I was offered so little for my car.

Car problems are like an ice berg. What you see on the surface is only 10%

is the white smoke due to the air temp being cold. most vehicles have white smoke during warm up and may even have a little what looks like water coming from the exhaust at cold temp's . is the muffler making it loud, at quick look will tell you if it's the muffler. always have a vehicle inspected before buying it. the van may need the front end rebuilt due to worn out parts. a buyers inspection from a shop will tell you all that is wrong. plus they will tell you how much it will cost to repair. did it also smoke after your test drive. if so it may need some motor work. i think you should test a few vans from different car lots to get the feel of a van and how they feel when driving. I have driven thousands of cars, trucks, and vans. I worked at an auction for car dealers. all vehicles feel different even the same brands.

That "white smoke" could very well be steam, which may be a blown gasket or worse yet, a cracked block. Someone else mentioned getting it inspected. I wouldn't touch it without a thorough inspection. You might easily spend as much money, or more, getting it fixed, as buying one in good repair.