Ford vs. Chevy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(not including RVs, cars, and trucks) The make of van I drive is:

• Chevy

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Ford

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vagabound

Reaction score
Yeah, the age-old argument.  PC vs. Apple.  Coke vs. Pepsi.  Ford vs. Chevy.  Actually, I'm hoping to avoid arguments and just collect a little info.  Didn't seem to be an existing thread on this topic.

I've owned Ford cars and Chevy trucks.  Both were OK; however, when it comes to vans, I don't know much about how they compare.  Most people will likely get an older used van and could probably use some help making a decision.  

I'm sure that Ford and Chevy vans both have strengths and weaknesses.  Maybe we could describe, compare, and discuss the most common types, such as Ford Econolines and Chevy Express vans and the like here.  Which is better, which is longer, which is easiest to find, which is cheaper, which is easier to maintain and repair, and anything else of practical value that you can share with people who aren't already familiar.

So, what can you offer on this topic?

having owned my share of both Ford and Chevy my reason for going with Dodge Ram truck is strictly mechanical and ease of accessibility.
That said get a chevy 3/4 ton v8 or a Ford 3/4 ton V8 late 90's

The condition of an individual van outweighs any differences in brands.

True indeed, but each (including Dodge) has their own inherrent pros and cons.
I prefer Ford, as I have much more experience with them. I have my late Dad's old '86 E150 cargo van (a parts vehicle now) and an '88 E150 conversion van, both Gen Three. The Fords have longer noses, translating to smaller doghouses giving easier pass through. The Gen Four and Five aren't as aestically pleasing.
I see many later Chevy vans in white, which suffer the dreaded paint-pealing cancer on the hood and front roof. Bad prep, methinks? Other colors don't show this problem. Neither do white Fords and Dodges.
I generally like Dodge vehicles, having owned several. My current DD is the Grand Caravan. Their full size vans are unibody though, which I don't like in a truck/van. Just a personal foible - I want a full frame in a load carrying vehicle. But this does make a lowered floor section easier to do. This gives a bit better headroom. Much harder on Ford and Chevy.
Just some personal views.

LeeRevell said:
...the dreaded paint-pealing cancer on the hood and front roof.  Bad prep, methinks?  Other colors don't show this problem.  Neither do white Fords and Dodges.

When I was van shopping, nearly every Dodge cargo van I saw had peeling hood paint.

The mid 90's had the EPA climbing all over them about the toxics in paint and many complied with variations of formulas. These are generally known as "peelers" cause the paint peels right off

I've owned several of both Ford & Chevy Vans. Chevy's have always felt more steering responsive and handled better all around. Chevy's have seemed easier to work on too. I read here on another post a dealer said, you'll always find plenty of Fords on the lot, but Chevy's sell fast. There must be a reason for this. After recently purchasing a GMC Savana hi top I couldn't be happier!! ymmv.

For certain years, Ford had real problems with their engines.  The following paragraphs were lifted from the Wikipedia article about Ford Modular Engines.

Spark plug issues

2-valve 4.6 L, 5.4 L, and 6.8 L engines found in many 1997-2008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles may have aluminum cylinder heads with threads for spark plugs that are stripped, missing, or otherwise insufficiently bored out. Ford acknowledges this issue in TSB 07-21-2 as well as earlier TSBs. Ford's TSB does not state that this issue is caused by owner neglect. Ford's only authorized repair procedure for out-of-warranty vehicles is to use the LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit.

For vehicles under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Ford will only cover the replacement of the entire cylinder head; however, the Ford recommended spark plug service interval extends beyond the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

3-valve 5.4 L and 6.8 L engines built before 10/9/07 and 3-valve 4.6 Ls built before 11/30/07 found in many 2004–2008 Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles have an issue with difficult-to-remove spark plugs, which can cause part of the spark plug to become seized in the cylinder head. The source of the problem is a unique plug design that uses a 2-piece shell, which often separates, leaving the lower portion of the spark plug stuck deep in the engine's cylinder head. The 2-piece OE spark plug design is intrinsically flawed, thus making it susceptible to this problem.

Ford acknowledges this issue in TSB 08-7-6 as well as earlier TSBs. Ford's TSB does not state that this issue is caused by owner neglect. The TSB provides a special procedure for spark plug removal on these engines. For situations in which the spark plug has partially broken off in the cylinder head, Ford distributes multiple special tools for removing the seized portion of the plug. Their TSB explains the multiple procedures required for handling the different cases/situations that occur when parts of plugs are seized in these engines. This repair is covered for vehicles under warranty; however, the Ford recommended spark plug service interval extends beyond the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Federal-Mogul, parent company of Champion Spark Plug, and Brisk Silver Racing have introduced a 1-piece machined shell 3-valve spark plugs that address the OEM 2-piece spark plug's separation issues.

I think the Chevy Express vans with the 5.3 and 6.0 engines are the best vans ever made. I've had an 03 Chevy Express with the 5.3 and an 06 Chevy Express 12' Box truck with 6.0. They are the only vans i'd consider and I have no brand loyalty to either chevy, ford, or Dodge, have owned them all at one point or another

Dodge B platform vans out last any of the others.

In my opinion the GM 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 are some of the most reliable gasoline  engines ever made. The 5.0 and 5.8 Fords are also great engines. It's to early to say how the new V6 engines from Ford are going to last. I have a 2015 Transit 250 with the 3.5EB, I love it, amazing power, good MPGs I just hope it lasts as long as a V8.

For me the question depended on size and usage. I needed an extended-length van and I drive mostly on unpaved mountain roads that can have deep ruts and mounds. For this, the smaller wheelbase of extended Fords and Dodges works better than the longer wheelbases of extended Chevys and GMCs. Of course you could always lift a Chevy or GMC, but I wasn't prepared to add that cost. If I was exclusively driving on pavement, I would have gone for a Chevy because in my experience they drive smoother than Ford.

highdesertranger said:
I can't vote.  I own one of each.  highdesertranger

Right.  On the other hand, it does put you in a very good position to compare the two.  What do you think?

Bandelay1965 said:
... For this, the smaller wheelbase of extended Fords and Dodges works better than the longer wheelbases of extended Chevys and GMCs. ...

My own lack of knowledge keeps me from understanding this part.  Are you talking about a possible greater tendency of the longer wheel-base vehicles to bottom out on bumpy roads?

well I only noticed after the fact that the poll said vans only I have a K-30(chevy 1 ton 4x4) and a F-250(3/4 ton 7.3 4x4). if you all still want to know my opinion let me know, especially the OP. I don't want to derail their thread. highdesertranger

Yeah, van thread, but it's my understanding that vans and pickup trucks share a lot (chassis, guts, etc). So, please share what you know. If something differs from vans, maybe point that out. Thanks for being thoughtful.