Ford Transit tranny shudder symptom - what it can actually be...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37446

Reaction score
Hi,

I read the Expediter Online forums, for info, as they can put 100,000 miles on a vehicle in a year and thus find out things that go wrong that we may not know is coming. So in the spirit of reporting an issue for the 2014 and up Ford Transit van owners:
https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/ford-transit-question.68867/page-4

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Transit Fun! Had to go OOS yesterday. Previously reported shudder got REAL bad. Decided to bypass Ford and went to Performance Transmission in Murfreesboro TN. Owner Butch went out with me for a ride, he drove. Within blocks he said there is a shudder but that that wasn't my problem. Back in the shop, up on a lift he found a rubber coupling at the front of the drive shaft was coming apart causing the main issue[/font]
96567633de01b3d91f3ecaed50956568.jpg

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]He went to Ford for the part and they already had a Transit on the lift with the same problem, only the fibres you see had wrapped around and destroyed the undercarriage wiring and hydraulic lines. They said it's not the first one they have seen and if it had completely come apart at interstate speed the damage would have been colossal.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]New coupler and labor $250[/font]
emoji106.png
[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]However, read the following to. Ford says a scheduled Transmission flush is all that is recommended and Filter is lifetime. That's Ford. The Tranny guy thru the BS flag saying without a drain, fill and filter change I will always have high speed shudder under load.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]So he called Ford and they quoted 8 hrs labor to disassemble and reassemble the frame components + Transmission service + front end alignment because the disassembly included front tire/wheel suspension. They took me under vehicle and showed me what had to be done to get to Transmission Pan. Bottom line = $1000 job. Great engineering.[/font]

[font=OpenSans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Anyway, Transit owners, regularly check the coupling."[/font]

I seem to recall many people suggested checking the coupling around 30,000 miles.

Latest posts