Ford Transit or Ram Promaster?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoom

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for a while - basically I'm a young person working toward vandwelling. Unfortunately, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to cars.

My dad suggested the Sprinter, but as we all know those are expensive as heck even when it's an old dinosaur with more miles than your average big rig. While I figure it's possible for someone with lots of cash, mechanical knowhow and time to keep one of them going, I don't think it's a good option for me.

He also suggested a van that has standing room (I'm around 5'2-3'ish so I don't think it should be super hard to find that) which is why I'm considering the Transit and the ProMaster, which can both have high roofs from the factory. This seems like it would be pretty stealth to boot, since they're both common work vans.

With these things in mind, does anyone have experience with either of these vans? Can you suggest any alternatives that I should look into?

I think you'll find them both very similar. Are you looking at new or used?

Both are mature platforms over in Europe - The Ford Transit for many years, and the Fiat Ducato for awhile too. New only to us here in the States. I'd take either one over the overly complex and maintenance-heavy MB.

Since they are both new to the USA, they will be very, very expensive. You should be able to buy a 5 year old van with 50,000 miles or less and put a high top on it and still have $20,000 dollars in your pocket. If it were me i'd get the Chevy Express with a 5.3 V8. You'll get 17-20 MPG and it will run trouble-free for another 100,000 miles or more.

Bob

Fiat makes a very ROBUST diesel turning radius fantastic ( all those tiny Italian streets) But my dad used to say when in a country buy a car made in THAT country. I done did that.

The Promaster is Fiat but here it's set-up with the American engine that was really a Mercedes to start with. Electrics are Fist. Trans is American. (But not a great one)

Too many chefs spoil the broth!

I know nothing about the Ford.

I considered adding a topper, but I've heard they're also expensive and the fiberglass breaks down in the sunlight over time. However my sources might be outdated, so if you have any further comment I would be glad to hear it!

I would prefer a used van. I favor the Transit because it seems like you can get one for about the same price or less than a 100k+ mileage Sprinter. Since this would hopefully be a long-term residence, I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest possible option so much as a good deal for what I do get.

Whereas the Sprinter has only a diesel engine, the Ford and Ram vans are available with gasoline engines. The Promaster is front-wheel drive. The pro is that the step-up height is lower. The con is that it can't tow as much (if that is a need).

Hightops are expensive, but there is no problem with the durability of the fiberglass. Figure $16,000 for a really good used van and $4000 for 24 inch hightop and you're at $20,000. That's a whole lot less than ether of those vans and I think it's a much, much better van.

Here is a post I did on a friend who had one installed on her van. It was around $4000 installed but it was the biggest one they had. You can get any size you want.
http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/installing-a-new-high-top-on-your-van/

Some pics

hight-top-van.jpg

ht-overhead-2.jpg

Bob

Look at it another way. Get a used Chevy Express today, make it yours and then by the time you are in need of a newer vehicle, say 4 or 5 years, the promasters and transits will be on the used market and you will know which is the better of the two.

I have seen a couple used Transit connects around here with about 100K miles on them for around $10K used. Looked at them more for interests sake - wasn't really looking to buy. I think I would worry a little bit about buying a used one of these though, Seems like a fairly lightly built rig, that was probably bought by a business and beat on. Of course, thats traditionally the same story with full size work vans as well ?

Big difference between the transit connect and the transit. And every vehicle is being built lighter for cost and weight.

I got something like this:

e350_kuv_spartan_stahl_service_body_utlity_bed_truck_96635332699494878.jpg

Ford E350 cab/chassis with Stahl utility body. I've seen other truck brands used by other utility body vendors.

Interior height is 5'6", which would be just about perfect for OP. I was looking at various iterations of these -- there's also lower and higher top versions of the body; dually wheel versions as well. For early- to mid-'00s used trucks, prices were in the $4-8k range; the '98 I picked up was $2500. Compared to a regular cargo van, terrible mileage (-33% or so), but headspace, built in locking compartments and shelving, superstealth, more cargo area...

Weirdly, I've been researching exactly and only those 2 vehicles: the Transit and the ProMaster. Thinking about getting a new one, to replace my too-low-to-stand-in minivan.

Yes, the height on the ProMaster is good for me (I'm 5'3") but it is a basic cargo van and I'll have to figure out just how much I'll need to spend on interior insulation and walls or it'll be a noisy ride. The clambering entry height is a problem: no step, not running board. No handle to grip. May have to carry a 2-step ladder to get in and out!

I've looked at both and wasn't impressed (they are still on my list, however).

The ram is so ugly, just something about that front end grille thing, i just don't like it...

And the ford... well i really don't want to buy a ford, at least a new one like that, for that kind of money. i just feel as of late their quality blows, i just don't trust them.

Also, both suck on (and down) gas... probably 15 mpg, which i don't think is good...

But, you are 5'2" you said? You may be able to stand in the low rood transit which would be sweet...

I only know one person with a Ram Promaster, and he says he averages 20-22 mpg without much problem. It has a tiny gas engine though.

The thing is gigantic inside!!
Bob

I've got the Ford TC and I get 20mpg around town, and 26.6 on the highway.  One of the the things I like about it is that the high-top is factory, so there's no seam to leak and the top is metal.  It's also got some interior paneling and a headliner.  
I got mine used from a dealer with 50K for $16,000, and it was pretty clear the previous owner didn't use it for hauling..  It had hardware for curtains and aftermarket RV/conversion van windows on the sliding doors.  I'm pretty sure he was using it for exactly what I'm using it for: Camping.  

I'm 6'4" so I can't stand up in it, but it's super cozy on cold, stormy nights on the coast.  :)  

It's a little hard to tell in the photos, but I've got curtains and/or coverings for every-single-window on the van, making for a very private, comfortable place to sleep.  
Today it was a great place to change into and out of my kayaking gear.

mconlonx said:
I got something like this:

e350_kuv_spartan_stahl_service_body_utlity_bed_truck_96635332699494878.jpg

Ford E350 cab/chassis with Stahl utility body. I've seen other truck brands used by other utility body vendors.

To me, that removes a lot of the creep factor associated with standard cargo vans too.

peripatetica said:
Weirdly, I've been researching exactly and only those 2 vehicles:  the Transit and the ProMaster.  Thinking about getting a new one, to replace my too-low-to-stand-in  minivan.

I still trying to find the 15 passenger window versions of these, no luck yet.

Not sure I want to be a guinea pig either...

A couple days ago, I drove by a car dealer, who had several of the newer vans parked out front in a row. A Dodge ProMaster parked right next to three Ford Transits. Two Fords were standard length, one was extended. What I really noticed as I drove by, was how much larger the Dodge was than the Fords! In both width and height, as all vans were regular height, NOT hightops. For internal space alone, the Dodge ProMaster shone as the better van to make into a mobile living space. To be sure though, I would need to actually measure the two brands.