Ford E Series

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

von_jonah

Reaction score
Those of you living in a Ford E series van, what is your gas mileage like? I'm toying with the idea of getting a van instead of my class C and the Ford is top of my list right now.

I just bought mine last Thursday.&nbsp;It's a Ford E250 van with a V8 4.6L engine. I'm averaging 17 mpg with my first tank so far. Mostly doing highway except for today I've been driving around the city most of the day. I'm driving it as much as possible to make sure its good to go before the time limit for me to return it if I'm not satisfied.<br><br><br>Now mind you I haven't put in a mattress set or shelving etc. We'll see if the mileage changes when I put all that jazz in.

My experiences with e series vans. I have owned lots of them thru the years.<br><br>81 e150 with a 300 6 cylinder-carb- club wagon&nbsp;11 mpg<br>85 e150 with a 302 8 cylinder-carb- chateau 14 mpg<br>88 e350 with a 351 8 cylinder-fi- cargo van 12-13 mpg<br>90 e350 with a 460 8 cylinder-fi- 10 mpg- was a class b transvan camper&nbsp;with dual rear wheels<br>90 e150 with a 302 8 cylinder-fi- cargo van 14-15 mpg<br>94 e350 with a 460 8 cylinder-fi-cargo 10 mpg<br>96 e150 with a 351 8 cylinder-fi- conversion van&nbsp;16 mpg<br>98 e350 with a 7.3&nbsp; 8 cylinder diesel- 14.5 mpg- was a dually ex ambulance<br>05 e350 with a 5.4&nbsp; 8 cylinder gas- 13.5 mpg&nbsp;was a 15 foot box van with a mothers attic with dual rear wheels<br><br>Had a 95 Bounder motorhome with a 460 gas engine. It was 35ft long- still got 10 mpg. I don't see a huge difference between class c, cargo vans etc and big rv's. I always check my mileage every tank.&nbsp;If your are looking for fuel mileage my best was the 96 conversion van- 351 with dual exhaust... hope this helps

&nbsp; I have a regular roof 2004 E-350 with the 5.4 V8 and the 3.55 rear end.&nbsp; I average about 14-15 MPG highway empty, 12-13 mixed driving and about 10-11 towing a 4000lb 7x14 enclosed trailer.&nbsp;

I have a 1992 E350 former handicap patient hauler with the super tall top. I so far average 11 to 13 mpg.

2005 extended e250 with 5.4L engine. Even with some recent additional weight mileage is still around 12mpg city and 15mpg highway at 60mph.

2005 e150 with the 5.4L engine gets around 11MPG with the A/C blaring in the hot AZ sun. When we drove it to CA, the mileage was a bit better straight highway (Tucson is 98% street driving, no real highways).

I'm starting to to think more and more about ditching the ford van idea and finding a vanagon... So far my class b e250 has not been so great.

^^^^ Whatever you may save on fuel with the VW you'll probably more than make up for in repairs and initial purchase costs.&nbsp; I've followed a few blogs from people driving VW vans and while I totally get the "coolness" factor, that lost it's luster pretty quick after hearing all the horror stories about expensive and seemingly never ending repairs.&nbsp; Parts for Ford vans are cheap, easy to find and just about any repair shop is familiar with working on them. Finding a decent place to work on VW is a chore, and may mean a long expensive ride in a tow truck if the unfortunate happens while you're on the road.

Well VW's are usually simple enough to work on yourself, meaning you are less likely to need a mechanic.

Far as repairs you mentioned, I'd assume that is because they are 20 years old or older. Not because of the type of vehicle.

<span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>my 2005 3/4 ton extended crew cargo van with a 4.6l v-8</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>inter city 10 mpg</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>driving at least 10-15 miles at a time 14-15 mpg</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>hi way&nbsp;only 17 mpg</strong></span><br><br><span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>blkjak ....</strong></span>