Foraging

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowanFae

Reaction score
One of my favorite things to do, while out bike riding the trails, is to make note of what plants are edible (and on the flip side, poisonous) that grow around and near me.  While reading the rules of dispersed camping in the National Forests, I noted that foraging is allowed - with exceptions and following a take only what you can hold in your hand rule of thumb.  

On my bike rides in Michigan, I would often pick the wild berries (blackberries, black raspberries and mulberries) that grew just off the trails as well as harvesting wild onion, mint, cattail roots, black walnuts or burdock roots etc.  There were numerous apple trees as well.  When I lived in Arizona, we ate certain prickly cactus and the fruit.  Although, I don't know if that is permitted on BLM land in the West (something to research).

Is foraging something that is practiced? frowned on? in the west on the BLM lands?

Most of the time, it is simply a mental exercise hobby to know what grows near me that is either edible or poisonous, but I do enjoy gathering a meal when out hiking/biking.  

As I have learned that there are more and more people venturing out into the National Forests and BLM lands, it has occurred to me that the natural resources might not be sustainable if there were a large number of the people out there doing as I like to do (even if they are like me and only take a small handful or single serving and practice responsible harvesting.). Although, from the reactions people I know have when they see me gathering up dandelions and other 'weeds' it doesn't seem like there are a great many people who do it :)

Just out of curiosity, and I am curious and enjoy discussing wild edibles - what are the thoughts of those of you on the forums regarding foraging?

Thanks.

Your post reminds me of my current (non mobile) garden where I have a dozen yarrow plants in post. They are healthier and more prolific in the wild. i can walk two blocks and get giant ones with no maintenance!

Best strawberries I ever tasted were wild. Found on the hiking trail. Hey, you could plan a trip based on changing localities for foraging according to the seasons!

Foraging on BLM lands is fine. The only exceptions are plants that are protected as endangered, and so far I have not encountered any of those that I would want to eat. Otherwise, have at it! You can compete with the javelinas for the prickly pears ;-) I too love to find wild/feral foods to supplement my "store bought" diet. I believe it fosters good health and a closer relationship to our surroundings. In fact, where I am in Montana currently the huckleberries are ripening now, and I'm enjoying the first tangy, juicy fruits of summer! At least in the desert we don't have to compete with grizzly bears...although I did have a troop of javelinas come into camp one night because a neighbor camper had left a bag of groceries outside by mistake. When I stepped outside to see what in the world was crashing around out there, one of them charged at me! Made for a good video, but then someone else got seriously bitten/gored a couple of weeks later, so I do take them seriously. Then again, some people eat javelina.

The Dire Wolfess

@oknownew: "...Hey, you could plan a trip based on changing localities for foraging according to the seasons!..."

Thank you! I have been working on my website/blog to document my new journey in life and I was wondering, "what in the world do I have to say that anyone would care to read about?" I don't know how much interest is out there for foraging, but I do know I love to write and enjoy learning about edible/poisonous plants that grow wild; so yes! I can do that! LOL. Now I have to basically reformat the layout of my website hahaha. Just passing the time until I head out around August 3 or 4th.

Its a matter of conditions, if you want to collect wild edibles your first responsibility is to sustainability. You seem knowledgeable in identification so it should be easy for you to see how healthy the plant population is in that area. If it's only one of two or three than my choice would be to propagate those plants. In a few visits your work will pay off in more plants plus a meal. Like anything, we are the guardians of this practice and our efforts will just make things better for all. If I can't eat it I photograph it then propagate it.
Beeps.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

@Moxadox, I had to look up Javelina! Wild boar, yikes. Yes, I know they are nasty buggers but they are good eating. Mmmm Cochon de lait! Ok, technically that is a suckling pig roast, but I tend to lump all pig roasts under the mouth watering title.

I'm making myself hungry with this thread.

Beeps and eats said:
Its a matter of conditions, if you want to collect wild edibles your first responsibility is to sustainability. You seem knowledgeable in identification so it should be easy for you to see how healthy the plant population is in that area. If it's only one of two or three than my choice would be to propagate those plants. In a few visits your work will pay off in more plants plus a meal. Like anything, we are the guardians of this practice and our efforts will just make things better for all. If I can't eat it I photograph it then propagate it.
Beeps.

Propagation is a wonderful idea.  Plus, it gives me something else to learn about in regards to the indigenous plants.  I know that invasive species can often decimate the indigenous plants, so learning what grows naturally and 'belongs' in the area and cultivating/propagating it is something I would very much enjoy doing.

RowanFae.
I am also a student at Micology I search for mushrooms in every state that I visit.
And now the disclaimer..they can be fatal.
Don't eat any mushroom that you are not familiar with.yada yada..ok that said, if you have time get with a local group and take an afternoon walking with them and gaining valuable knowledge. Once you have a good knowledge base you can start to identify the millions of different species
That are growing everywhere. Most edible mushrooms are quite better than store bought farm raised. I myself also look into the medicinal triats they possess. One good feature is that the more we do to maintain our health the less we are dependant on health care. I still get my annual checkup but now it's more of a routine. I haven't even had a runny nose in years. The addition of edible mushrooms to other wild edibles makes meals even more enjoyable and tasty. And the tinkture's that you can make will boost your immune system and also help to regulate other function's in the body. It's a very interesting study and there's several top notch books on the subject. Hope you can use this to further your search for a new wild edible. Please just get very familiar with the one's you plan on eating.

highdesertranger said:
couple of points.
first off Javelina/Peccary are not pigs at all,  not even the same family.  there meat tastes nothing like pork.

https://www.desertmuseum.org/kids/oz/long-fact-sheets/Javelina.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary

second point.
there are zero "wild boars" in north America.  what people are referring to when they say wild boar are actually feral pigs an introduce invasive species.

just wanted to clear that up.  highdesertranger
I didn't know this!  We always called the feral pigs in Louisiana, wild boar.  
Javalina sure look like feral pigs.  Please don't tell me they taste like chicken!

Beeps and eats said:
RowanFae.
I am also a student at Micology I search for mushrooms in every state that I visit.
And now the disclaimer..they can be fatal.
Don't eat any mushroom that you are not familiar with.yada yada..ok that said, if you have time get with a local group and take an afternoon walking with them and gaining valuable knowledge. Once you have a good knowledge base you can start to identify the millions of different species
That are growing everywhere. Most edible mushrooms are quite better than store bought farm raised. I myself also look into the medicinal triats they possess. One good feature is that the more we do to maintain our health the less we are dependant on health care. I still get my annual checkup but now it's more of a routine. I haven't even had a runny nose in years. The addition of edible mushrooms to other wild edibles makes meals even more enjoyable and tasty. And the tinkture's that you can make will boost your immune system and also help to regulate other function's in the body. It's a very interesting study and there's several top notch books on the subject. Hope you can use this to further your search for a new wild edible. Please just get very familiar with the one's you plan on eating.

I love, love love mushrooms.  So far, the only ones I can identify are the edible Bolet, Morrel and the Chicken of the Woods.  I would like to connect with people who are knowledgeable and can teach me to identify them.  I learned about the Bolet mushrooms from a lady I met in the woods who was hunting for them.  I had stopped to rest, on my bike ride, and ended up spending a couple hours in the woods with her while she explained how to identify the edible ones.

So many tests so little time to explain them all. Spore testing place a piece of paper half black half white in a calm area with no wind. Take the cap and set it half way on each color, several hours later the spores will fall and reveal the color they are.
Some glow in the dark! Yep, don't eat those.
Some change color when you scratch the surface of the cap. As I said, so much information and so little time.

Beeps and eats said:
So many tests so little time to explain them all. Spore testing place a piece of paper half black half white in a calm area with no wind. Take the cap and set it half way on each color, several hours later the spores will fall and reveal the color they are.
Some change color when you scratch the surface of the cap. As I said, so much information and so little time.

I watched a Youtube video where this guy used different drops to determine which were edible (I really enjoy his videos).  The lady who showed me about the Bolet mushrooms showed me how to pinch/score the cap, if it turned red not to eat those.   It is all very fascinating.

Remember, picking our mentors is like picking mushrooms themselves. If we choose badly.

Beeps and eats said:
Remember, picking our mentors is like picking mushrooms themselves. If we choose badly.

That's pretty terrifying LOL

RowanFae said:
I didn't know this!  We always called the feral pigs in Louisiana, wild boar.  
Javalina sure look like feral pigs.  Please don't tell me they taste like chicken!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peccary?wprov=sfla1

Javelinas are actually collared peccari, pecari tajacu in Latin. They are related to Old World pigs, genus Suis, subgenus Tayasuis. They are not the same as wild boar, which are feral. Javelinas/peccaries are truly wild. They range from South America to Arizona (I have encountered terrifying gigantic ones near Flagstaff, and really pushy smaller ones in Southern AZ). They smell awful--you will often smell them before you see them. If you feed them they will pay you back by biting you! They are one of the only creatures that love to munch on prickly pear leaves (pads). Next time you're in the desert, keep an eye out for prickly pear leaves with bite marks out of them. That's from javelinas. They taste about the way they smell. Locals in Arivaca, AZ, where I camped last winter, made sausage out of them.

The Dire Wolfess

Beeps and eats said:

Is the paper any specific type?  I'm wondering, like is it treated paper?  
How many color of spores are there?  Would suck to be a colorblind mushroom hunter  :p

Bolete and chantarelle mushrooms are both quite distinctive.

There are limits on how much you can forage, generally should be for personal use.

Commercial foraging is legal, but requires a permit. For what it is worth I believe this permit gives you an exception to the 14 day rule as you are then making a livelihood off the forest - like livestock herders, etc.

I too enjoy foraging. I'm in the Olympic peninsula right now and finding tons of salmon berries, black berries, raspberries, fennel, and plenty of other stuff. I do find, however, that I built up a knowledge of foraging in the southeast, and that knowledge doesn't travel so well. I try to learn a bit in each new place tho.

Sidenote: for anybody is wanting to get into foraging ,I like to recommend Samuel Thayer's books on the subject. Really great introductory reads.

DLTooley said:
Bolete and chantarelle mushrooms are both quite distinctive.

There are limits on how much you can forage, generally should be for personal use.

Commercial foraging is legal, but requires a permit.  For what it is worth I believe this permit gives you an exception to the 14 day rule as you are then making a livelihood off the forest - like livestock herders, etc.

I'm looking forward to finding Bolete, and learning how to dry them out on a campfire or on my coleman.  
Gonna have to look up Chantarelle.

Commercial foraging?  Well, if I find a nice stash of Morrell's that could be in my future :D