For Dodge van fans: Japanese van racing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Or as they say, Dajiban. This video might give you some ideas about modifications. Or not.

This was sooo fun to watch!. My Ex used to race, going to the track still fascinates me. Seems like in japan drifting and racing is not limited to rear wheel drive 4bangers. Thanks for sharing...

Leave it to the Japanese to take a seemingly silly idea and taking it to the umpteenth degree.. :-D

steamjam1 said:
Leave it to the Japanese to take a seemingly silly idea and taking it to the umpteenth degree.. :-D

Was scary to watch since I just found out the 1998 passenger dodge van I bought has a high roll over rate. .  I need those Japanese mechanics to work on mine. I can't believe this safety feature for my van is $450.00. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ras-4611

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
leslymill I have the same van as you do. I bought a pair of 2 inch wide spacers for the rear wheels from Rough Country. The spacers go between the rear wheels and the brake drums. When installed the rear track is four inches wider. Notice how far in your rear wheels are? With the spacers mine are out to the edge of the fenders giving more stability. Paid $99. As good as the option you showed? Probably not.

Your van looks great. Hard to find a Dodge without paint issues.

leslymill said:
Was scary to watch since I just found out the 1998 passenger dodge van I bought has a high roll over rate. .  I need those Japanese mechanics to work on mine. I can't believe this safety feature for my van is $450.00. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ras-4611

There is an easier way to sightly widen the track of all vans out back.. Dodge vans use 16x6 wheels. Older Ford Econolines use 16x7 wheels. Slightly wider and if you use the wider wheels out back, it will improve the stability while using the same tire size. (225/75/16 I think..) I did this to my old Dodge Surveyer class-B RV and it improved stability without spending $450 for spacers.

"I bought a pair of 2 inch wide spacers for the rear wheels from Rough Country."

Ratfink56,
I also have the same van. It's fine at hwy speeds unless it's windy or there's a lot of traffic. I can actually feel the cars coming up from behind and I get some sway in the rear. The front end isn't perfect but it's really not that bad either. I know I have to change out the shocks. They're original.
I put new tires on a couple months ago and that improved the handling quite a bit.

Did the spacers make a large difference in sway at hwy speed?
Thanks.......

PS.
The van isn't loaded yet. I noticed when I added some weight and have a full tank of gas it's more stable..

You might want to read my blog post about the difference between possibility and probability. Just because a van can tip over/roll over, that doesn't mean yours ever will.

http://rollingsteeltent.blogspot.com/2018/07/possibility-vs-probablilty.html

How often do vans tip/roll? Well, we have a lot of van drivers here. How many have ended up on their sides or roofs? And of those that have, was it because of the nature of the van, or the result of running off the road or into something -- things that would flip any vehicle?

It seems like a no-brainer, but vans need to be driven like vans. That means slowing down more for curves and turns. That means beginning your stops sooner. That means doing most of your slowing/stopping while you're still driving straight, when possible. That means not making (or depending upon) extreme, rapid steering changes.

Vehicles rarely CAUSE accidents. Drivers almost always do. And the number one driver error is inattention.

There are some factors that contribute to a van's rollover probability that you can control:

In what condition is your suspension? If you have worn out shocks, or worse yet worn out bushings which contributes to misalignment of your front end, your chances of roll over increase by quite a bit.

Do you have a high-top? Top heavy vans increase the roll over risk. If you have a roof rack ontop of that high top that's chocked full of stuff..., its even worse.

How do you distribute the weight inside your van? Is all your "stuff" stowed away as low as possible in your van and distributed evenly front to rear? I'd rather under-steer then over-steer... If you go into over-steer top heavy while in an emergency maneuver... Yeah your going turtle. 

Are your tires in good condition, of appropriate load range for the weight you carry, and properly inflated? If your running around with 2600lbs worth of your "stuff" in the back of your 1/2 ton van using only SL range tires dated 2008 that's inflated to 60psi.. Your asking for it.....

Are you a defensive driver? This is the most important factor. Are you the kind of driver that tail gates everyone and always switches lane to lane that are going faster? Or are you the kind of driver that rarely goes beyond the speed limit in the SLOW LANE and always leaves 4, to 5 car lengths to the car in front of you regardless of speed? Are you the kind of driver who sees a "40mph next curve" sign and ACTUALLY FOLLOW IT?

There are of course things you can't control.. Other drivers, road conditions, weather, the deer that dashes out in front of you while your doing 45mph in a rain storm....

Haven't logged any miles to speak of either way. I knew about the tippy issue and saw how far in my rear tires were so I spent the money. If nothing else the rear tires look more like I think they should.

When Roadmaster had the 15 passenger vans tested with and without their active suspension add on, there were 15- 150lb bags of water (to simulate human passengers) strapped to the seats. The seats are about a foot above the floor. That's 2250 lbs sitting about a foot above the floor (not counting the weight of the seats) and at least 450 lbs of it behind the rear axle. That's why in real life with real passengers they're so top heavy and dangerous.

I'm not overly concerned with that as most of the weight in my van is going to be on the floor and between or over the axles. Even so, I drive it with the respect it deserves. This thang ain't no sports car. I've been driving mine for over a year now and I'm pretty much used to it.
I call it "The Big White Piece of S***," but only when it can't hear me..