Foam Sleeping Pad | What's Best?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Instead

Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on the best queen size foam pad for sleeping?<br><br>We currently use an inflatable bed with memory foam over it. The comfort is great, but the inflated bed takes up too much space in our Astro.<br><br>I've found websites that want $800 bucks for a foam sleeping pad that is medium and firm glued together with a cotton case. $800 bucks?<br><br>I see that Costco has mats that are firm and do not roll up. I need the roll up feature the way we are set up.<br><br>Does anyone know where I can find a good deal on a pad that will be sturdy that I can place my memory foam pad on top of?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>

we have used memory foam from costco and they are fine<br>. Darrell<br><br>

Anyplace that sells good quality Futons should be able to help. Another thing might be to look up Mills in your area. People who do work with fabrics, normally are looking for that stuff as well.

<p>Hi, I have had to deal with the same situation.&nbsp; I am in a GMC Safari.&nbsp; My bed folds out and everything has to store really well.&nbsp; I use a thick fairly stiff foam pad that can roll up as a base and two layers of 1.5 inch memory foam on top of it.&nbsp; It is really comfortable.&nbsp; The thicker, stiff foam pad came from an upholstery shop and the memory foam came from Walmart.&nbsp; Walmart does have memory foam mattresses that would be just as comfortable, but they don't roll up. They will fold but you would need a strap to keep it together. Not sure of your setup exactly.&nbsp; The way I did it stores in very little space and only takes a moment to roll out on top of my fold out bed when I'm ready to lay down.&nbsp; Being all foam, friction keeps the individual pieces from sliding. Rolls up quickly and I store it in a cabinet when not being used.</p>

Karl, this link looks a whole lot closer to the price range I am looking for. Thanks for posting.<br>

<p>By far the best deal is to find an upholstery shop, call them and see if they will sell you a foam pad. Make sure you buy high quality, furniture grade foam. He will cut it to any size you want. Mine is 5 inches thick, but that is overkill, 4 inches would have been plenty and my guess is 3 inches would have worked fine. The shop I went to didn't have a big enough piece in stock, but he had lots of partial pieces. So he cut them&nbsp;up and used spray glue to assemble them into one piece big enough. He gave it to me cheap since the pieces weren't worth much by themselves. The glue has held it together just fine for the last 3 years. Bob</p>

That's quite a rig 4x4tour. Thanks for posting!<br>

<p>Some people love memory foam, but my one experience in a van was with a memory foam pillow. This pillow got hard when it was cold, and after you had lain on it for a while it warmed up and conformed to your head/neck. But waiting for it to warm up in the winter was awful in a van that was outside temperature. so I gave it to a thrift store, they work great for&nbsp; house dwellers but it was terrible for me. Your mileage may vary. Bob</p>