Florida state park volunteers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
Talked to a nice couple who were assigned to 16 weeks of volunteer duty. Florida state park. 20 hours a week work. Gets you a camp site and electricity and water. You just have to apply to be a camp host volunteer when the state volunteer system starts planning these openings. Sounds like a nice arrangement.

A campground host I met in Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia, volunteers at a certain Florida park every winter. She basically alternates between winter in Florida and summer in West Virginia, always the same campgrounds. I guess it's like any job: Once they know and trust you, you've got an extra leg up on next years' assignment.

Keep in mind, when it comes to volunteering/workkamping, you need additional income. You get "paid" only with a site rental which may or may not come with utilities. Competition is fierce for these positions. In private campgrounds (workkamping), you REALLY need to be careful. You can (and sometimes will) get a 1099 for the compensation which they figure at the nightly rate X 30 not the much lower monthly rate. You will owe taxes on those monies as it is considered "bartering". If not income taxes then you will still need to pay Medicare and SS (at double the "usual" rate as you are now self-employed as contract labour). Private parks often prefer a couple and plan on extracting the maximum hours from them possible. I have seen folks complain about never being able to leave the campground because they are expected to be on call 24/7. I have seen folks take positions for a site "worth" $XXX when in reality the same site is only worth about half once figured on a monthly rate. They are horribly shocked to realize they are being paid well under minimum wage for a hard 40+ hour work week. If you plan on "volunteering" or "workkamping" make sure you fully understand what is expected of you and the hours you will need to work. And get it in writing. I think it is best to get paid with a paycheck and then pay for your site yourself. I dislike the idea of having my "home" tied so closely with my "job".

Great post,Rose.I don't understand it but it seems there are always people on here advocating working for nothing.

The big question is if I get hurt or killed on the job am I entitled to workman's compensation insurance cash and medical benefits and at what rate since I make zero dollars per week.

Bob Dickerson said:
Great post,Rose.I don't understand it but it seems there are always people on here advocating working for nothing.

I don't understand it either. I get the volunteering for the public parks. I understand that they need to save money where they can because much of what they bring in get siphoned off elsewhere. But it's the private and concession parks that bug me. They want to pay far below minimum wage (I have figured it out to less than $3 per hour at monthly rates in some cases) and folks fight to be able to do that. I would make up beds in a hotel, get paid better and have the opportunity to change jobs if I want.

I have figured out that many not familiar with workkamping think they get paid money in addition to the free site. That is very rare.

Good point on bartering for site showing up on taxes Rose. There are workamping jobs that do pay all hours worked plus site but I imagine competition is fierce. Bob has a good post on workamping for CLM and similar places where you are paid all hours plus site.

The criticism of "free" sites is enlightening, but it makes sense when you think in dollars. I don't want or need a full-service campground. I'm much happier with the national forests, blm, etc.

That said, the for the lady I met, the monthly cost of a site at the Florida park would be $780. If she works 20 hours a week, that comes out to $9.75 an hour. I don't know about the taxes. But for a person who wants to be at a full campground (and hers is at the beach), then it's an OK deal. I think one should always do the math. That's just good business.

As far as I know all National Forest campgrounds are paid positions. Almost always you're paid for minimum wage for every hour worked and given a free site. The last company I worked for paid more than minimum wage, but that's not the norm. I did it for 4 years and every job I've heard of in the NF was that way.

No-pay workamping is usually city, state or private campgrounds and RV Parks. It's something I'd never do but some people like it.
Bob

I've been workamping for 13 years now.
ALL the jobs I have taken so far have been for pay+site+other bennies like food , propane , store discounts .
I didn't get all those things at each place but more often than not.
The pay rate varied but never less than min wage.
A couple were for much more.
There are jobs that don't fit that profile but I just pass on them.

Most of these jobs were during the "busy season" , "off season jobs are harder to find with pay++.
(Most of this would apply to those with RVs but some Vandwellers can want the same amenities.)
It helps to make a list of what I want to ask when I make first contact with them.
Ask things like what has been mentioned here,,,,1099/W2/ ? other bennies ?
Can you pick your site or will you be on a "hard to rent" one?
Full hookup or will you have to move to dump tanks .
What your duties will be? (some will say "as needed" or something vague like that , ask for details,,,and make sure you are up front about things you can't/won't do)
Hours req. per week? (early and late season sometimes have less and busy season will probably be 40 or more)

I just started getting a small SS check so I may consider different deals in the future .

You need to decide what is a good deal for YOU. Location , a worthy cause you want to support or other things might make a bad deal for someone else be a good deal for you.

All great notes. And due to aging population you will see a lot more competition for fewer opportunities. Given baby boomers are now in retirement years.

Would really suck to get a tax form mentioning you were compensated with$20 x7 x16 income for your 20 hours weekly volunteer work. But would that not violate minimum wage laws? Guess you need to look at the paperwork you sign to see if they treat you like a contractor or like a volunteer. You can't pay contractors below Minimum wage, and expect them to continue work. You would not be able to sue if they quit and breached contract. As far as workers compensation insurance, a contractor is required to have that.

The major draw for camping for a site and nothing else is the ability to stay at that campground for longer than the maximum rental, which is usually 2 weeks whether it is a state or national park. That is why I did it, to be on cape cod. I hate RV parks. It is worth it I would do it, in florida, to stay in a beach park for the whole season. The parks are taking advantage, labor, pay wise, but it is the only way to be able to stay longer. Plus, as of now, I'm still tent camping and to set up and pull down every 14 days, also necessary when boondocking, is too much for this old lady.

irishgypsy said:
The major draw for camping for a site and nothing else is the ability to stay at that campground for longer than the maximum rental, which is usually 2 weeks whether it is a state or national park. That is why I did it, to be on cape cod. I hate RV parks. It is worth it I would do it, in florida, to stay in a beach park for the whole season. The parks are taking advantage, labor, pay wise, but it is the only way to be able to stay longer. Plus, as of now, I'm still tent camping and to set up and pull down every 14 days, also necessary when boondocking, is too much for this old lady.

Wow nice that you can get a cape cod volunteer site, for being a workcamper volunteer. Completely agree with getting the longer than 14 day rule waived and staying for no cost.

Lets say minimum is $8 per hour, so 20 hours a week gets you $640 a month in pay, minus $140 for taxes and other state-federal costs gets you really $500. There is no way you can pay that $500 monthly on cape cod and stay there anywhere. Unless you are an artist or other talented person who gets a free location to stay for your talent.