Flea Market/Thrift Store Scores

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a 16 cubic foot rooftop cargo box for $50, and made my own installation hardware for another $15. This opens up the back of my xc70 for a sleeping pad!

I love thriftshops, but have yet to look for camping, or Nomad necessities.  I will start doing that now.  I imagine we will be having more garage sales around here again too.  Be fun to see "one man's junk" so to speak and see if I can find some treasures ;)

The tool looks like an Ice Sculptor's "chipper".   What gives it away as a sculpting tool is the pad at the end of the handle.  Generally a hard leather disc pad used with a wooden maul tool.

I'm a little nauseous right now.

Last week at the flea market I looked at an old 35mm camera out of curiosity. I already have too many and they are hard to flip for profit usually. I didn't even ask the price.

This week a friend was excited to show me a picture on his phone of what he had bought last week. It was the camera that I had passed on earlier. He had bought it for !!$3!!. Turned out it was a WWII Japanese officer's camera, very rare and he had already been offered $2,000 for it.

Guy

I stopped by an estate sale down the street on Friday. They had tons of stuff with most of it marked but I noticed a bag against the wall with Garrett on the side but no price tag. Looking inside I found a 'Grand Master Hunter GXIII' with two coils, manual and headphones like new. Not so much as a scratch on the coils.

When I asked they said it was for sale, huddled for a moment and said "$20 today since it's Friday but it will be cheaper tomorrow if it's still here".

When I got it home I put new batteries in and it fired right up. Kind of creepy because it talks.

Guy

Attachments

• P1120276.JPG
    P1120276.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 11
Close to 20 years ago I went to a thrift store with a couple friends. It was a girls day. It was also close to Halloween and I found the ugliest broach and a matching ring. Truly the ugliest jewelry I had ever seen. But I thought what the heck. Might be good accessories for a costume. I paid .25 cents a piece.

The emeralds were real, the diamonds were real and it was 18carrot gold. At the time after appraisals I kept them in the safe. Decided to keep them for a rainy day. They are still collecting dust lol

No bargains to be had in any of the thrift stores in Flagstaff Prices for the items sold in the thrift stores are also higher iin Arizona and selection is pretty pitiful. No camping gear in usaeable condition, not even a ponco or raincoat. Might be better shopping in a more affluent area such as Scottsdale AZ.

Yesterday at the flea market I picked up yet another flashlight. Last night at first use it became one of my favorites.

It is a Nightstick XPP-5422GMX. Made for industrial applications it is Intrinsically safe (explosion proof) and rugged. There is a horizontal spot beam and a wide beam that points down (great for walking at night) also has 2 super magnets allowing mounting vertically or horizontally. There is a belt clip and lanyard too. 3XAA batteries.
https://www.nightstick.com/products/xpp-5422gmx

You can get them for around $35 online,,, I got this one for $1!

Guy

I’ll give you two dollars for it - double your money. (you pay the shipping):) :) :)

How did I not know about this thread?

I scored two 0 gravity chairs for 3 bucks each at a yard sale. They are a little smaller than my original, and need re-stringing. I'll buy the stretchy cords in Q and it'll be my first project when I get there. 3 zero gravity chairs. Room in my CLAM for 3 zero gravity chairs. Maybe I'll get visitors at nap time this winter!