Fishing as a Nomad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDance57

Reaction score
Hi all,

I like to fish and currently live in CA on the coast. Lots of opportunities and I have a license. I want to start the Nomad lifestyle and was wondering about the cost of fishing. Every state requires a license, and this with gear could cost quite a bit. What are fishing boon-docking friendly states I could hang out in? I like to bank fish, but have a kayak and am thinking of getting something that would save space and provide a nice platform, like the scout 365.

Also, fishing should mesh well with the Nomadic life?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

the only issue is the crazy expensive non resident license prices
here in oregon it's $97.50 for non resident and $38 for resident

$38??? been about 5 years since i had one and it was under $20 freaking scammers
heck $25 for salmon/steelhead tag thats b.s.

Gary68 said:

That's everywhere unfortunately. Few years ago I went to PA to fish, out of state was a set fee, my 3 day license was $35. It's the only down side to being a nomadic fisherman

SunDance57 said:

Help me TEXAS RESIDENTS ? If TX is the largest state down here among the 48 then it would be perfect sense to be a TX resident and get one license there. There is so much TX out there you are bound to be near a fishing hole? 

In other states just wing it? use your head and your spidey senses and remember there are plenty a slip between cup and lip.

GEAUX- PRIUS Cowboy said:
Help me TEXAS RESIDENTS ? If TX is the largest state down here among the 48 then it would be perfect sense to be a TX resident and get one license there. There is so much TX out there you are bound to be near a fishing hole? 

Well...I'd argue Montana is almost as big, and has killer trout fishing. I've got my resident license, for sure. $21.

Still $56 for a 10 day non-resident license. :(

I was looking at a free Android App the other day.  A "Fish Finder" where you hold your Cell out toward the water like you're going to take a selfie.  It shows any fish that may be around.

Youtube video

But there are plenty of these.

Android app Fish Rules gives multi-state saltwater fishing rules. Still hunting a fresh water app.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Best deal I've seen is in Texas State Parks on the coast I believe it is free as well as free lessons. Utah has at least one free fishing day a year maybe other states do to so plan your visits. Fish Lake Powell and if you really like fishing you will never leave, I came here for a weekend 12 years ago and never left, caught 6 of the biggest fish I had ever caught of 6 different species in one day.

With the prices of these fishing licenses. Anybody else think they are better off buying the fish?

^^^

Count me in on that!

The first thing I got when I repatriated to Canada a decade ago was my Ontario fishing license. Combining it with the 'Outdoors' License' you needed it only took me two summers and too much in fees to figure out I could go to the local fish market and get fresh pickeral cheaper than I could pay for the licenses!

I quit fishing until I turned 65 and no longer had to pay for a license!

Now that I'm in BC, I'm yet again not fishing until I can qualify for the cheap rates. Also need time to study up on all their convoluted rules here... :rolleyes: 

I don't even bother to pack my fishing gear when I head stateside!

Gary68 said:
here in oregon it's $97.50 for non resident and $38 for resident

$38??? been about 5 years since i had one and it was under $20 freaking scammers
heck $25 for salmon/steelhead tag thats b.s.
$127 for a non resident license and 42 or a resident here in CA.

Free fishing days! Good ideal, we have 2 in CA, but still need the stamps if the target species require one.

@TheTraveller
Yes, I was thinking that it would be cheaper just to buy fish than an out of state license. But, with piers and free fishing days it could be worth carrying some fishing and crabbing gear.

@Almost There

Great idea! I will be 65 by the time I am a full timer RV. I googled free senior fishing licences and came up with the following States:

AL, AK, CT, FL, GA, IA, MS, OH, RI

I bet you still need to go into the Department to get the license depending on the State.

AK!!! and FL!!! Fishing meccas. AL and GA for bass, catfish, and panfish. Cool. Fishing as a nomad is doable if your careful, but non resident fees are a bit steep to justify IMHO.

Also here in CA there is a discount for resident seniors on low income, but if your out of state you will get soaked.

I've got my Ronco Pocket Fisherman and my $1.25 fishing license (there are a few perks to being disabled). ..Willy.

I have Texas senior fishing license, I am currently traveling in Louisiana. Some states have agree to recognize each other's license. So, I am able to fish cast net for shrimp and crab. Eating like a king. Woohoo!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Lake Powell is in Utah and Arizona. Arizona allows you to fish with a Utah license and with an Arizona license Utah requires you to buy a low cost stamp.

No license required in Texas if fishing from the bank in a Texas State Park. First Saturday in June is a free fishing day for everyone.

bullfrog said:
Lake Powell is in Utah and Arizona.  Arizona allows you to fish with a Utah license and with an Arizona license Utah requires you to buy a low cost stamp.

It is $55 for an out of state license in AZ. Not bad at all considering CA is 44 for residents. Also, great winter camping for free in AZ. I have fished the Colorado alot many years ago on the CA side. Lots of catfish, bass and blue gill. I hope the  fishing is still good. Never been to Lake Powell, but want to. Great camping and fishing!

Thanks Bullfrog!