First van build on a budget

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Itx2sturgis said:
For the very minimal system you need right now:

A small solar panel (around 50 to 100 watts) and inexpensive PWM controller, charging your van's starter battery, should make all the power you currently need.

I would not buy a large deep cycle battery unless you plan to provide a solar or generator system (or both) to charge it in the field. If you deplete that battery out there camping and then its gonna be 2 or 3 days or more before you can get it home and re-charge it, that battery might end up having a very short service life.

On the other hand, the standard battery you already have can do double duty for your very minimal usage as you have described it. My van is setup similar, for week-end to week-long getaways, two starter batteries, a 45 watt panel to balance parasitic loads, and an additional 120 watt panel and RV/marine battery to run ham radio when camped. But the fantastic fan and laptop/smartphone charging is from the two starter batteries and 45 watt panel.

For your laptop, try to find a 'car charger' for it on ebay, they are usually around $20 or so, and you might not even need that inverter. Charge it during times of full sunlight and your van battery will still get some surplus charge from your panel.

I don't have powered refrigeration in the van so my solar needs are also fairly modest.

And thanks for your service out there...stay safe!

I’d add is to consider a marine battery for dual usage, when his car starting one eventually dies. That way he has more reserve capacity yet still enough CCA, especially if in Cali.  Of course that’s not ideal but we tend to creep or even rush towards the biggest and best when “good enough” often will do.  For starting out the post quoted above is fine.

The other advantage to starter batteries is there sometimes good return policy/warranties as opposed to marine.