First Step

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeddyKat

Reaction score
I am determined.  I love meeting you all through Bobs videos and can't wait to meet you all.  Thank you for those of you who make videos.  I am motivated.

You all will literally see me from the first steps and hopefully many of you will coach and cheer me on along the way.  I am so happy about RTR and that I might get the help I need.

I have NO vehicle at this point.  I moved back to AZ from MA and had to drive a 16' Penske truck and tow my mom's car. There was no way to bring two cars.  I am hoping to get the money I need to buy or even barter for one soon.  Soon enough to go to the RTR.

The time I have had has helped me change my mind many times.  I almost bought a 5fh wheel and glad that fell through now because I want a VAN!!!! a van that can pull a trailer.... most likely a cargo trailer.  ANYTHING is possible at this point and I DO NOT KNOW WHO TO TRUST.

That is where I am hoping YOU come in.  I am excited to join your tribe and meet you all very soon.

My first name is Connie but I prefer to use my middle name Kayt (pronounced Kate or Katie)

Welcome to the CRVL forums Kayt! Choosing the right home is often hard but I think you're on the right track with a van. Start small - you can always change your mind later on.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Pulling a trailer with a van is what I set on. One can use the trailer as a base camp and go on weekend trips in the van. I will be a part timer. I still live in a house. I live where it gets quite warm, so my idea is to be where it is cooler during the summer.

Welcome to the CRVL   :) 

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the best place to start for those entirely new to this is with nothing.   They can lurk and learn by reading and watching videos and then look at what they have available
to them to start with.  They can begin to map out what would work for them and begin to pursue  those materials, vehicles, equipment, and first experiences.  Most important,  learn to use your imagination and your
sense of resourcefulness in order to start out as a minimalist and learn to live well with just that for awhile. 

With a Smart Phone, Laptop, and a Library Card you'll have access to information to learn from or assist you
with travel, cooking, weather forecast etc.   You can learn much of the rest here.   Consider looking for basic needs at dollar stores, yard sales, flea markets, Goodwill etc stores.  In these places you can outfit yourself with simple hand tools,  clothing, rope, food and utensils, camping gear, small tents, ice chest etc.

Whether you start out in a Car,  Van, or Pick Up Truck with a camper top over the bed you can get into this
way of travel and seek jobs that will allow you to earn enough money to move up to better more suited vehicles.

I'll invite you to check out my two websites below.  One is on converting a Van & Cargo Trailer and the other is a  Portal of helpful information to make life on the road easier and better.  It will help you plan your travels and
even use take a "Virtual trip" to those places if you like.  Just loads of info for finding free camping sites etc.

Welcome aboard Kayt!
You're in both a tough spot and in a perfect spot at the same time!!

Take your time deciding on the perfect set up for YOU !

While you're waiting , anything that will get you out camping will do.

A lot of the tribe are going with a van set up as a bedroom and a cargo trailer with the kitchen/bathroom (you know who you are) but the options are endless and very customizable.

There is a lot of info already posted in the links at the top of the home page ^^^^^^^^^
Ask all the questions you want and get a bunch of responses.

Lots of experience here to help you zero in on your perfect rig.

I believe private party sales are the best way to purchase a vehicle.  You can tell as much about a vehicle from talking to the owner as anything else.  Maintenance records are worth paying a bonus for, especially with automatic transmissions.  

As to what the best vehicle and layout is - that's something you need to figure out for yourself.  I've got a compact pickup truck that works great, along with a storage unit.  I much prefer a shovel to a blackwater tank and I cook off the tail gate.  The layout is at the end of this video.  I'll eventually move into something bigger, and after ten years I should have figured it all out.  

Starting out simple and sorting through things that you actually use is the best way to learn - unless you want the full pre-built RV experience.

[video=youtube]