First rear brake job

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Hello, im trying to replace the rear drum brakes on my 1990 chevy g10.  I took pictures and was prepared to reassemble with my new shoes when i noticed my cylinder was leaking a bit. Probably how i wound up with very little fluid and spongy brakes in quartsite.  

Pretty scary, not just the safety for my future but the idea that i will have to replace it now.  In theory it doesn't seem much harder than my current mission but im unable to crack the bolt that attaches the brake line.  

Any advice?  I applied pb blaster liberally, to no avail.  I will try again tomorrow after its had a day to soak in.  The wrench i have to turn it is kinda small, maybe a longer one will help but i used another wrench to get leverage and it wouldn't budge so maybe not. Im scared of rounding the thing off too as its pretty rusted.

vice grips just tight enough,dont crush the line,a little pop with your hand or hammer and it will come right lose

I'll try to find those wrenches at a little cheaper price, much more money and ill start regretting not paying someone for the job. I did buy a cylinder for the other side as well.

Would these work bearing in mind i is poor? :D
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPPAFC/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1

I was thinking vice grips as a last resort. Thank you both.

VanLifeCrisis said:
I'll try to find those wrenches at a little cheaper price, much more money and ill start regretting not paying someone for the job.  I did buy a cylinder for the other side as well.

Would these work bearing in mind i is poor?  :D
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPPAFC/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1

I was thinking vice grips as a last resort.  Thank you both.

Those flare nut wrenches can be bought singly or in sets at most auto parts stores.  A single wrench might cost $5 and a set of 3 maybe $13.  Might be a good idea to put a normal open-end wrench on the nut first ONLY to size it.  Then go in the store and buy the right one flare nut wrench.

Also, it was suggested to me recently that a little heat applied to the nut might help it come loose.  Don't know, never tried it.  I was afraid that the nut was corroded to the brake line, and no matter what wrench or method I used, I'd twist the brake line and snap it.  That said, a couple of mechanics said, "Yeah, maybe, but usually not."

By the way, a shop recently got mine loose without snapping the brake line, but I didn't ask how.  I had sprayed PB Blaster on the nuts a few times over a couple of days before they tried.  Maybe that helped.

EDIT:  There has been a pretty long discussion about doing a rear drum brake job recently in the thread about my vehicle.  Might be something useful in there for you:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Drum-brake-job-1993-Ford-E-350

Tom

Those are also line wrenches so, yes. Liberal PB Blaster, DO NOT heat with a torch, and get it to break free by giving the wrench a hammer tap in the lefty loosey direction. You can also lightly tap the nut around its circumference with the hammer or wrench.

3/8 seems to fit snuggest. I do have a company torch so i could add that as an option (or not) :)

Im just happy the drum came off easily i was dreading that it wouldn't.

Heat it...always always always use heat. Don't break bolts off.

I know that tapping your new wrench with a hammer sounds like a sin but think impact. You have surly seen tire shops take off lug nuts with air impact wrenches, same idea just manual. I you do use heat after it is warm, propane torch for just a few minutes, if you can find some bee's wax (honey comb} let it melt into the line / nut / wheel cylinder then try impacting it again. This would be a really extreme situation in fact if the line is this rusty I would probably seriously consider replacing it.

vice grips are the cure to all the worlds problems

just dont crush the nut,with 3/8 nut i go straight for them,the 7/16 dont have the same problem,you would think after about 100 years of them striping they would make them out of stainless,you would think

bardo said:
Heat it...always always always use heat. Don't break bolts off.

Applying heat to brake fluid is NOT a good idea. If you have any doubt, spill a little DOT3 on the ground and get your lighter near it.

I don't know about a 90 Chev but some of the fasteners on my Dodge are metric. 3/8 is close to 10mm. Even a little play can mean you might round it off even with a flare nut wrench.

slow2day said:
I don't know about a 90 Chev but some of the fasteners on my Dodge are metric. 3/8 is close to 10mm. Even a little play can mean you might round it off even with a flare nut wrench.

Good point. The O'Reilly's Auto Parts store that I went to had both standard and metric flare nut wrenches.

Tom