First Aid for Solo Travelers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
Bob's talk of the Safety seminar at RTR on another thread got me thinking:

What about first aid?  What do you all carry, and how?  Do you always have some basics on your person?  Or do you just have a first aid kit in your rig?  Do you know how to treat your own injuries, without a second pair of hands and eyes?  It's been a loooong time since I've had any first aid training, I admit, but I don't recall being taught anything about self-treatment.  The assumption was that you are treating another person, not that you may be the victim.

Maybe this is common knowledge that I've somehow missed, but I've been thinking about it since my foot skidded out from under me on a twig (!) in my own driveway - my first thought was "that kind of thing could turn serious out in the boonies alone".   What if you walk fifty yards from your rig to dump your dish water and turn your ankle?  That could go south in a hurry, particularly in extreme heat or cold.  

Do you talk about first aid and camp safety, as well as the human element kind of stuff in the Safety seminar?  Or maybe there's a dedicated first aid seminar?  Any suggested resources for more info?  I'm sure that serious climbers and hikers probably know all this stuff, but I honestly never thought about it before now.  I guess that comes from living in urban areas where you are never really alone - if I go out to the mailbox in my pajamas in the snow it's a pretty safe bet someone would find me before I froze to death if something happens.   Being alone and off the beaten path, I suppose one doesn't go out in the snow in their 'jammies but what else do we fail to anticipate?

I wish I could make RTR - hopefully next year.

I believe that regular first aid courses, these days, assume that you have a cell phone and will call 911, and that first responders will arrive in a timely fashion.  Thus, you really only need to know what to do to keep someone alive until they arrive.  Which means CPR and controlling bleeding by direct pressure, mostly. 

Those of us who spend time away from civilization would probably be better off taking one of the Wilderness First Aid courses, which assumes that you might be days away from any outside help, and is much more intensive for that reason.  I believe these are usually multi-day courses.  They are also not particularly inexpensive.

Regards
John

After raising three adventurous boys my first aid stuff is about as deeply ingrained in me as it can get. Knowing what you can deal with yourself and what needs a run to the ER is a big part of it.

A fishing lure in the finger can be removed. Catch it in the eye, well then, you put a patch over it and drive to the ER.

My daypack has a small first aid kit in it as well as my emergency kit that would hold me overnight.

My backpack has a small first aid kit in it that's suitable for overnight trips in the interior.

The van has a larger first aid kit in it suitable for car travel.

I packed most of the contents of my medicine chest in the van when I left home.

I've been known to perform minor surgery from my van.... :D :p :rolleyes:

I've done the turning your ankle 50 yards from home thing, and you just do what you have to do. If it's hop on one foot swearing loudly, you do so. If it's get down and crawl, you do that.

Years ago when I did my ankle in, emptying a porta potti at the dump station I realized that for some strange reason I no longer had an ace bandage in the first aid kit which was so totally unlike me. I drove carefully to the closest W/M, parked the van right next to the cart corral and used a shopping cart to get me in to the store, buy the wrap and get back out. Yes, it hurt like hell but I had no choice! Ankle securely wrapped I drove the rest of the way to the art show, hired a fellow crafters teenage son to do all the hauling for me and sat with an ice pack on my ankle while I did sales from a seated position (so unlike me... :rolleyes: ) Oh and I located the cane that was in the trailer.

I have been through a few military first aid courses and a couple later in civilian life.  I keep a GI tri-fold medic bag in my rig, and carry a small personal FAK in a pocket when out in the field.  I have "doctored" up various minor dings and injuries myself but am no medical expert.  I have me some "book larnin'", but would certainly call in to 911 in the event of a true medical emergency.
My FAK has come in handy a couple times over the years.  Offroad motorcycling and at the shooting range, etc.

Almost There is spot on. Self first aid is a combo of knowing what you can handle and doing what needs to be done. I have a fairly comprehensive first aid kit that includes steri-stripes (stitches replacement) and a SAM splint. The attached link is for a handy guide to real first aid. This book stays in the kit.
Wilderness medicine

Two things I carry are an Epi-pen [epinephrine injection for severe allergic reactions] and a blood coagulation pack. Not just for my own benefit but if someone else has an emergency. They are both pricey items but both could save a life.

After I had a severe allergic reaction to a bunch of fire ant bites (more than a dozen at once), I thought about carrying an epi-pen but with them having only a year of useful life, I decided that the annual cost wasn't feasible for me.

I just play really carefully in fire ant territory!

Thanks for the responses, everyone, and the resources.
I checked out the course REI stores host - there's one a couple hours away from me. Kinda spendy ($250) but what's the price of safety and peace of mind, right? I'll call that "Plan B" and hit one before I head out on the road if I haven't found an alternative.
Starbuck, that book is going on my list - looks like it has some good info.

Something you don't see in most first aid kits is the Israeli Battle Dressing:

http://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Banda...id=1449070232&sr=8-5&keywords=israeli+bandage

I learned how to use one, including applying it to myself, in a Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class I took some years ago.  Best thing going for stopping bleeding via compression, and can be used as an effective tourniquet in extreme cases.

You can find numerous Youtube videos showing you how to use one.

Regards
John

I believe everyone should (at minimum) take a CPR course. Many times Fire Departments and hospitals do these at lowest costs (sometimes free). Most people die because no one started CPR in time.

Everyone should know that you cannot just use an EPI pen you are carrying (or any type of medication) on someone you find in the woods. If you use your inhaler or EPI on someone other than yourself you are practicing medicine without a license, and you will be sued and face jail time. It is a serious criminal offense.

I am a licensed EMT-IV but I can only practice in TN and only administer certain drugs that I have trained and certified to give. I can "assist" with other drugs like a person who has a "legally prescribed" EPI pen or inhaler IF they are conscious, and they have to actually do it, I can just help them. Know the laws where you are. They vary state to state. It is a serious offense to administer any meds, even baby aspirin, without a license. Even an O2 tank is considered medicine. If the patient already has one you can assist them putting their mask on but that is it (unless licensed). Don't adjust the setting or anything on the tank.

You are covered under the Good Samaritan Act in most states to administer CPR and 1st Aid (control bleeding etc but not medicines) as long as you are NOT licensed in a healthcare practice. For this reason I will not be renewing my license. Sadly getting sued for saving lives is the norm these days.

I keep a jump bag with me in whatever vehicle I'm in to keep someone alive until a licensed responder arrives. That has a mouth piece for CPR, various bandages, stethoscope, etc. I also have tubes because I am licensed to open an airway, D50, IV set ups, and other stuff, but I can only do that in TN. I could not use those on anyone in my travels out of state, even though I could save them if I did. EMT's are sued all the time saving people. That is why they hesitate to stop at car accidents when off duty.

I would say a Auto DEFIB is a good idea to keep in your van if you camp near others who may need it or if you have heart problems so that someone can jump start your heart. Those are covered by Good Sam laws in most states. They are easy to use and self explanatory. If you have heart problem and have hair on your chest, keep it shaved!! If someone doesn't shave you, the pads wont stick and the DEFIB is useless. Keep razors in DEFIB bag but I wouldn't count on someone knowing what they need to do so better you keep the chest hair off.

I really suggest taking a class not just reading how to online but of course reading is better than nothing. Actually youtube has training videos for EMT's I would suggest you watch but again please remember to act within your legal expertise.

Keep in mind it's one thing to read it and a whole different thing to see someone dying right in front of you. It is downright terrifying to see someone's appendage laying there and blood gushing out that wont stop. You will blank even with training sometimes. Seeing a child injured is the worst imo. You have to stay calm and act fast. Once you start CPR do not stop until help arrives, EVER.

Someone suggested a Wilderness Survival Course. I highly second that advice. You will need a CPR card before you can take it usually. A local community college is the best place to find these courses.

CPR saves lives. If you don't know how, please learn. It's usually only like $20 for it as a non medical professional. Check hospitals and fire depts for free or low cost classes.

The other thing I would suggest is to keep a list of current medications and dosages, allergies, and personal health history on your person and laminate and hang a copy in your van as well. This could save your life and saves so much time when the EMT's arrive. If you dont have a living will get one and hang it too. If you are diabetic or whatever, wear a bracelet. Every second counts.

Do not take my word for anything. Check the laws in your state.

Stay safe everyone :)

I would risk lawsuit--and jail time--to save someone's life. BTW, I am a retired RN and am aware of laws and regulations. However, your advice is sound and sensible. I also have a current health workers CPR card.

mockturtle said:
I would risk lawsuit--and jail time--to save someone's life.  BTW, I am a retired RN and am aware of laws and regulations.  However, your advice is sound and sensible.  I also have a current health workers CPR card.

I would too mockturtle. Only because I am trained but I figured others should know the consequences lol. I could never let someone die on my watch. I will take my chances with a jury :D I didn't know you were a nurse. You know contraindications and when it's ok to use an EPI, etc. If someone doesn't I would say don't do it.

No one likes to use 1st aid on themselves or another.

But I would suggest even though you may not use the band aids, alcohol swabs, and adhesives...check these often as some can dry up and loose the adhesive or evaporate even if not opened. And some bottles will explode/split.

Not good if you need to stop the bleeding and it doesn't stick.

Especially storing your kit in the heat or extreme cold vehicle in a non climate controlled environment.

Almost There said:
After I had a severe allergic reaction to a bunch of fire ant bites (more than a dozen at once), I thought about carrying an epi-pen but with them having only a year of useful life, I decided that the annual cost wasn't feasible for me.

My MD told me my epi-pen is good for 3 years when I asked about a new rx a few weeks ago.
In August I met a woman who spends time in areas where fire ants are numerous. She and her friends carry
a small bottle of white vinegar to take care of them. I have one in the car now. I haven't been back since,but expect to be.  Maybe that can help you.

Just found this thread, hope no one minds if I revive it. :)

I strap on a holster to my ankle that has an epipen, a vial of heparin, and an insulin needle in it. I use heparin to relieve severe allergic reactions before my airways are cut off. If it reaches anaphylaxis, well then I need the epipen. Some reactions happen so fast that there's precious few seconds to react. By keeping it on my ankle I have the fastest access t it and it's always on me when I'm up and about.

I carry a small backpack that's within arm's reach 95% of the time, which is where I keep all other medications I regularly take or might need quickly. This includes a second epipen, more heparin/syringes, my doctor's note, ginger candy for mild nausea, prescription meds for severe nausea and diarrhea, more allergy meds, pain meds, and supplements, as well as all business cards of my current medical providers. I end up in the ER on average once every 2-3 months and I find grabbing a backpack is a lot easier than trying to come up with the info on the spot.

I also carry an ear thermometer in my backpack due to my recurring fever issue. I generally cease activity when it gets over 101.

Larger stuff such as the ace bandage and things I don't need as often are kept in a medical kit in the van, which goes with me nearly everywhere I go. ;)