Fire ring and open fires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
You all know what I mean besides a dryer/washer tub those heavy steel rings you find at most campgrounds

sorry for being a bit unclear but yes I am looking and When the City of San Francisco was installing some big steel pipe i asked the guy to cut me off about 20" he just looked at me and my 20 dollars and laughed. Cant hurt to ask. 

get 1/4 or less thickness flat metal and hing 4 peaces together and it will lay flat when not in use

I like being able to take it with me. However, I have to many fires restart at night after putting way to much water on it. The StoveTec stove will burn out in 20 min's any coals left it it. Also makes&nbsp; a perity little fire that you can cook on and fits into a 5 gal bucket. Does cook well.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

I like my&nbsp;StoveTec stove&nbsp;the fire ring is more of a chick magnet thing. Caveman with an education of sorts. lol I can't believe I just wrote that.

When I had my sticks&amp;bricks I used a wheel spacer from a Semi. Might be a tad heavy to carry around with you though.

A very small one (in stature did I pass?) good question Looks like 7/14/13 for French meadows I'll bring a rake

The local campground use the deeper half of split rims from the local junk yard. Heavy. Last many years.

I had not thought of using split rims.&nbsp; That is a good idea.&nbsp; semi truck split rims are very heavy though.&nbsp; One thing that I use while out in the woods is a beehive sort of camp fire.&nbsp; It looks kind of like a beehive but kind of like an igloo hut, with a flat roof.&nbsp; Use the flat roof as a cooking area.&nbsp; I have used it for boiling water (I do like my coffee), cooking and such.&nbsp; They provide a little heat, but keep most of the heat inside to aid in cooking.&nbsp; I don't build them big enough to stick anything in there to cook like an oven.&nbsp; Although I do slide a few coals out into a little fire pit area to stick pots in on occasion.<br><br>On a side note.&nbsp; When I was working as a groundskeeper at an elementary school in glendale, az, we used old (very old) car rims as the base for our 15mph school zone signs.&nbsp; That school now has new signs that are made out of tubular steel and look all fancy.&nbsp; I guess they are supposed to look more professional or something.<br><br>