Finding safe places for Cargo Vans.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacetara

Reaction score
Hi!<br><br>So, I'm in a cargo van, but it probably applies to other vehicle types to some degree, but I thought I'd share how I find places when in cities.<br><br>I have come to prefer industrial type areas, they tend to be like ghost towns at night, and usually police/everyone doesn't really care what happens there.<br><br>What I normally do in my maps app on my phone, is search for 'Fedex' or 'UPS' trying to find the actual shipping centers, not the fedex office store(used to be kinkos), or the ups store. &nbsp;but the place that sorts the packages, and has all the delivery trucks coming and going. &nbsp;near them, they usually have a night shift and an abundance of street parking. &nbsp;Fedex shipping places tend to be near airports, which can be not so great sometimes.<br><br>Also, behind Target stores, they tend to be built next to industrial areas, so the back side of their stores are usually pretty safe parking.<br><br>Anyways, this is one of the ways I find nice places to sleep when I'm traveling thru cities.<br><br>With Love,<br>Tara

Thanks for the tip--I would not have thought to do that.

Thanks Tara. You've been in your van since last fall, if I remember right. How's it going? Have you made any mods to your van?

Thanks, never thought of it. It would appear that you would be making a delivery and just arrived early.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

How's the noise level at these places when you're sleeping? Do you park right next to other white vans and such or somewhat nearby?

Greetings to all!<br><br>Earlier today, Wednesday, I uploaded my introduction.&nbsp; I hope it is accepted soon, as it was pretty long.<br><br>Anyways, I have been in a WCV since January...have yet to be bothered by LEO/narcs.<br><br>Walmart, Home Depot, and the corner parking spots in front of businesses in strip malls all work...I have used some many times, yet I do change the exact parking spots.<br><br>The fear of being caught is MUCH stronger than it actually happening.<br><br><strong><span style="font-size: medium;">Here is a little list of places to sleep:</span></strong><br><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Walmart</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- HD</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Harbor Freight Tools</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Mechanic shops with largish parking lots</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Corner parking spots in strip malls</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Kohls</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Nearby ANY already parked box trucks</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Dennys, because the staff there are usually very kind, even if you never step inside</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Eat-in movie theatres</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- College towns with free parking all over</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Parking lots near temporary staffing agencies</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- LARGE parking lots of any kind in strip malls, not only the corners....</span><br><br><strong><span style="font-size: medium;">Here are some little tips to blend the WCV into the area:</span></strong><br><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Purposely park near other cars</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Purposely park under the HID lamps in the parking areas, unless they actually have large dark spots in the parking lot (rare)</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Park with your front end away from pedestrian/customer traffic</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Try to leave earlier than later</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- The fancier the groundskeeping and the buildings look, the worse for you</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- When you park, immeadietly turn off your lights</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Avoid large groups of vehicles at night in the middle of parking lots (these cars are night shift employees that do this on purpose because of camera angles to catch thieves)</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Keep the WCV very very clean on the outside and DO NOT indicate living in it, keep crap out of the front, and definetly put some kind of gloves/clipboard/safety vest on the seat</span><br><span style="font-size: medium;">- Think positively so that you do not generate negative magnetic vibes to attract <br>nuisances</span><br><br><br>I have done all of those locations and practice all of those tricks, and am currently at a Home Depot that I trust...having slept at five Home Depots in this area...pretty much every single night for the last two months...<br><br>Guess whos WiFi I am using? Yep. The Orange Box WiFi.&nbsp; Quite strong signal, too, and I am all the way up near the freeway parking spaces...more than 200 feet away from the repeaters.&nbsp; I can stream Hulu...<br><br>The White Cargo Van is a blessing.&nbsp; Mine has a pass through, so...I just pop into the back and get nekked if its too hot, or lounge about in my undies...while people are moving around me....<br><br>The noise levels are sort of high, but it does not wake up at all after the first two weeks or so...it actually becomes a blessing because it helps to disguise any noise YOU might be making whilst you putter about in your hermit shell.<br><br>You can very quickly determine the sounds of cars opening OR closing, tires moving away or towards you, and the tone of voices around you...<br>The traffic sounds actually help me feel that as long as cars are moving about, I am fine, because I am just blending right into the coming and going of customers and employees....NOBODY checks unless a cop is SPECIFICALLY called on you...that could happen I suppose.<br><br>Night shifts at almost all stores DO NOT have and Loss Preventions on duty. I know this personally, rom being there, behind the scenes, because I have worked for enough mega-companies...They just dont have it happening.&nbsp; All of those walmart cameras?&nbsp; That would be about 50 individual PIP/monitors being watched....for a vehicle just...blending in?&nbsp; I guarantee, you are not cared about.<br><br>THey want to deter THEFT from inside the store, and have RECORDS of break-ins/felonies IF they happen.<br><br><br>OK I must stop rattling on now, time to watch Hulu!<br><br>

Hi Blueberry,<br><br>Yes, and I'm doing good!&nbsp; I haven't really made any changes.&nbsp; I have a plywood floor down now, that's probably my biggest change.<br><br>MK7: I am deaf.&nbsp; I haven't a clue what the noise levels are like.&nbsp; Usually in the places I park, I rarely see anyone at night, so I imagine noise to be minimal.<br><br>creationode: yup, all decent places.&nbsp; I tend to stick to street parking at night, myself.<br><br>Street parking makes it very clear with signage what the rules are for that spot.&nbsp; Private property (HD's and the like) rarely spell out their rules very clearly.<br><br>With Love,<br>Tara

We're doing a cargo van, and I plan to take advantage of the industrial thing as well once we're on the road. On the topic of parking behind Target (or for that matter any big box besides Wal-mart) I'd be the tiniest bit wary of doing it during the holiday season. Once the holiday shopping season is upon them they frequently have deliveries by tractor/trailer at night to replenish the shelves because people are buying so much stuff. If you park in the wrong spot you could end up blocking their access to a loading dock, and that is no bueno for you.

The other concern is that in high crime areas people have been known to steal entire trailer loads of goods parked behind stores in the wee hours of the morning. One of the stores I worked at had this happen 10 times in one season. They will be on alert for people who look like they're casing the joint to get the delivery schedule. Just a friendly warning if you're trying this in a big city.