Fiberglass Topper Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to this and starting with what I have. 2014 Toyota Tundra with 6.5 ft bed. I'm interested in a fiberglass topper, 4 inch rise a must, and sliding screened Windows. My question is about the optional center walk in door good for into the bed. Do you think it is worth it ? It replaces the tailgate, and I'll really miss the factory backup camera. Also kind of dictates where my bed will be situated. On the other hand, the whole unit flips up for some kind of rain protection when exiting the bed or possibly cooking etc. Anyone have experience ?

Thanks !!!
Joe

Mine is aluminum but I had to make the same choice.

I kept the factory tailgate for a few reasons:

It gives me a work surface when it is folded down and the upper half door is flipped up.

What would I do with that large expensive tailgate if I chose another option? Store it? Sell it?

I can lay or sit in the camper with the hatch flipped up but the tailgate closed. Plenty of air circulation.

And it gives me a place to stand to reach up to the roof rack or solar panels.

It is a tad harder to climb in to the camper shell, but I'm kinda used to that with my previous standard roof van anyway. I just carry a small folding step.

Excellent points TX2, I've often wondered if the door was more show than go. How are you doing with the aluminum cap ? I've owned both aluminum and fiberglass in the past. Do you have a rise ? The fiberglass seemed sturdier, maybe better insulation but you could always insulate either, Aluminum much lighter, less expensive, a bit less attractive (subjective of course) can easily order with low profile racks.... Never camped in the aluminum one, I know rain on the fiberglass sounded like bombs going off, wonder if the aluminum is much louder....

Thank You Much !!!

Joe

Mine is a commercial topper made by ARE. It's not 'pretty', but it's 'pretty solid'.

It's a high-rise style with a ladder rack. It was about the same price as a really nice fiberglass topper, but there are so many options you can pick and choose the height, the shape, type of doors, windows, 'windoors', tool boxes, liner, lights, color, etc.

Easier to insulate also.

The wait time is much shorter too.

IMG_20180306_140152 (Small).jpgIMG_20180326_185053 (Small).jpgIMG_20180307_085718 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180306_140152 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180306_140152 (Small).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180326_185053 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180326_185053 (Small).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180307_085718 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180307_085718 (Small).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 33
Great pics TX2 !!! Thanks.
I spoke to an A.R.E. dealer about 2.5 hours away from me today. You're right, the wait on fiberglass is 5-6 weeks. About 1700 for a fiberglass with a rise. He mentioned carpet covering will keep condensation from dripping on me. Then I'm thinking that's just a recipe for mold. Also mounting a roof fan would be easier on aluminum than the contour on a fiberglass. More to think about...
I think your cap looks fine, also like the rack. Good Stealth ?!?! Is that a solar panel up there ? The height on that must make it fairly roomy in there. My last truck was a Titan 5.6 liter with the off-road package and a locker. It was quite snotty. First model year, I had it for ten years.

I had a fiberglass topper and got tired of getting rained on. I glue Ensolite foam to the topper then carpet. no more rain and no mold or mildew. just dry it out as often as possible. I didn't hurt that I am in the western US. highdesertranger

I think the back door is really nice, it is a real PITA crawling over the tailgate to get in it for the night. It just looks really awkward when people see you get in and out of it. I prefer the one piece molded glass topper as there are no seams to leak. I never had a problem with my glass topper and condensation as long as you have one of the windows cracked. I found mine on Craigslist dirt cheap ($300) had to just search for a month or two until the one I wanted showed up. I like the styling of mine because it blends in well, my truck is great for stealth camping in the city.  It looks just like a normal grocery getter and unless someone sees me crawling in they have no idea I am in there. To me it is much more stealth than any van. The big tall ones , especially with the door, make me think of someone living in it. I really wish I had a pass thru on mine from the cab. There is a window at the cab and the two screened side windows, the design of these windows are to pop out a few inches so no one can look in unlike the slider type windows, they actually have a know to adjust how far out the pop out.

Here is a pic of mine, I like that it looks just like a million other suburban's, blazers and Silverado's with a shell on them so does not stick out when sleeping in it in the city. BTW this truck came with dual lockers, I got really lucky there.

topper.jpg

Attachments

• topper.jpg
    topper.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 15
Chief said:
He mentioned carpet covering will keep condensation from dripping on me. Then I'm thinking that's just a recipe for mold. Also mounting a roof fan would be easier on aluminum than the contour on a fiberglass. More to think about...
I think your cap looks fine, also like the rack. Good Stealth ?!?! Is that a solar panel up there ? The height on that must make it fairly roomy in there. My last truck was a Titan 5.6 liter with the off-road package and a locker. It was quite snotty. First model year, I had it for ten years.

The liner they install is some kind of acrylic padding...its very tough and stuck to the interior. I don't think this would ever mildew or mold or rot under normal use.

In fact it is so tough, when drilling or cutting thru the shell, the drill bit or saw blade catches in the material and literally jams up. 

And yes, that is the standard ladder rack, I cut the front cross bar and support legs off. Mine holds two embedded 100 watt panels. It will hold three panels embedded as mine are, if the rack is left as is. It could probably hold much larger panels, if you bolt them on top of the rack.

I chose the topper with side radius, but if I had it to do over again, I think I would have chosen the front radius instead, then the side walls are vertical and the leading edge has a curve to it. More boxy, but also more roomy.

They also make these in three skin thicknesses, mine is the midgrade and very sturdy.

And yes, this 5.6 engine with 390 hp has no problem pulling grades in the mountains with my trailer in tow.

Gets about 13.9 mpg doing it. I'm pretty happy with it.

Guys/Gals thank you for all the responses so far. Today I called and ordered the fiberglass raised roof. Standard tail (no door) sliding screened Windows, two locking handles on the corners instead of one in the middle. Sliding front window to match the truck. Got the coating/covering. Had half a mind to call and cancel the "carpeting" but the dealer and TX sound fairly reassuring.

I really didn't feel like ordering today, I forced myself. It's going to be a few weeks, dealer said he doesn't know when it's getting there until a day or two before. 2.5 hour ride each way so with installation that's the better half of a day. Only needed 200 bucks to get this rolling. Nonetheless I made a start. Not really sure where this adventure will go but I'm looking forward to my crude basic start LOL.

Make sure you can operate the latches from inside the topper. I believe that you can but better safe than sorry.

Also, when they do the install they can either bolt it on or use clamps. I chose bolts, since I will never remove it. Of course, with bolts, they have to drill the top rails of the bed, but on the other hand, those big clamps are ugly and would be in my way.

They will wire the CHMSL to one of your brake lights...in my case they had to find a ground inside the bumper frame.

But the dealers are used to all this so they can get it all done in less than an hour.

Another thing to consider is one of the pre-made tailgate seals, or cobble up something on your own. 

Most pickup tailgates are made to drain water, so there is a long open slot you might want to seal up when you have a topper.

Also, consider a pickup bed-rug or liner for comfort and a bit of insulation.

Got my first accessory tonight. Early father's day present. It's Somnia ultralight camp cot made by Teton Sports. It is 74 long by 28 wide by 15 high. (Inches) It will clear the wheel well, has some firmness adjustment, and folds up fairly compact. I didn't even take it out of the box yet, but I'm happy to get started. Chances are I'll be using more cushion on top of this.

Picked it up today. I'm happy with it. I can definitely feel the weight difference. I'll probably sleep out in it tonight although I don't have great padding. We have company and the kids are using the futon mattress :)

Attachments

• 2018-08-03 23.55.03.jpg
    2018-08-03 23.55.03.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Get a nice thick hat, one without the button on top. Put it on when you first wake up and wear it any time you enter the topper. It will help soften the blow when you hit your head, and you will eventually hit you head. If you are like me several times. I know how bad that button hurts!

I'm going to bungee a section of pool noodle on my head, that should work :) . Seriously though I don't seem to have a problem. I'm 5'9" on a good day and the cap has quite a bit of rise. I'd say 5 inches. The cot is only 13 inches high, I can sit on that without hitting. I have to squeeze some silicon in the front corners where the cap meets the rail. The rail has small gaps there and water finds its way right in.

Latest posts