Feedback on "work from home" jobs..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
..that some of you may have info on. I've got a lot of computer skills I could be using on a Data Entry "remote" job and I figure it's time I put them to the test. I'm still sick of living like I am and a lot of depression not having enough to do. I'm not the creative type so I need a real job, but working from home, wherever I am (or end up) I think is my ticket out of here. With my SS I really think Part-time, maybe full-time would allow me to save enough for an RV. I may be dreaming again but from what I know about technology, remote jobs are booming now and if I don't get hooked in, there's going to be more competition.

I'll be much better "behind the scenes" than Customer Service/phones, so Data Entry, Medical Coding jobs I'm thinking.

Feedback welcome. By the way, I have most of my experience with Microsoft 365 including Access DataBase Software.

PS I also could use feedback/advice on creating some sort of resume. I only had rather sporadic jobs, and haven't worked a regular job for one company for many years. I'm reading right now about Professional Social Media Profiles. Sounds doable for me, but have to search to find some sort of outline to follow, looking now.

Last edited:
Is there a college, or junior college, near you where you might find two year degree programs? Or certificate programs? At the BLS website, it says you need to be certified in medical transcription. It's due to the medical terminology.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-transcriptionists.htm
There is a school near me, but I already went to school back in 2010 but was didn't get the degree because I needed money fast so took a job at Glacier Park. One of the many things I blew in my life since my GPA was a 3.6. I still owe for my Financial Aid. I have a lot of skills but hard to find any decent employer that doesn't frown on my background.

What you did 12 years ago doesn't really affect what you can or should do now. If you wanted to work in a highly competitive field, you might have to field questions like "why did you quit," or if you wanted a BA you might have to re-take classes because the credit lapsed (I almost lost 2 years of academic credit that way back in the 80s). But you are looking for a short training where none of that is likely to be relevant. Community college is definitely one of the most common places to get that. There are more expensive private places, often called something like "career institute," that offer similar trainings. There are federal, state, and local resources for job-hunters, and other resources for seniors, that might help you focus on an achievable skill area /and/ help you with your resume. Resume trends are changing and it's not a bad idea to get someone who's up on current expectations to help you. They should be able to help you showcase whatever skills you already have in ways that will appeal to employers, without looking like a resume-padder.

Right now the labor market is still tight enough that employers are more flexible than usual about qualifications (at least, so I've read) (God knows how long that will last, and I imagine that when it ends us olds will be the first to go). But normally, yes, people do expect you to be able to prove that you have the skills (by finishing a training or by testing, though the chance to test out seems rare). People who bypass that are either brilliant, or well connected, or very very lucky, or all three. IOW the fact that it's out there once in a blue moon doesn't mean you should plan on finding it.

Insisting that the job be work-from-home, especially from day one, will narrow your prospects considerably. Since you need to save money anyway, you might focus instead on acquiring the kind of job skill that CAN be done from home (eg, not waitressing), and start building up your skills and experience, including by working on-site if necessary. An agency that supports job-hunters, or seniors, or lower-income people, or women, might help you put together a plan. Having a concrete goal to work toward might help with the depression.

I'm not sure we're still in a boom time for tech jobs, and the Covid work-from-home boom seems to be fading a bit or at least becoming unpredictable. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're receiving Social Security there is a limit to how much $$ you can earn on the side. (Despite my initial worries, I have never come close to reaching the limit myself LOL.) Also, there's been a lot of talk recently about education scams -- mostly around 2- and 4-year programs at private unis, at least that I've read about, but it's worth being careful before you shell out any money for training, including asking about graduation rates and job-placement rates. And I'm guessing community colleges are a safer bet than private institutions.

I think the kind of thing you're aiming for is do-able but it's going to take a lot of work and care -- starting with picking a specific, concrete goal to work toward. It's worth considering all the zany, brainstormy ideas that people may suggest (you'll find some on past threads), but eventually you'll want to ask some cold hard questions about how you can make it work. Hope you can have some fun with it, and good luck!

Can'
What you did 12 years ago doesn't really affect what you can or should do now. If you wanted to work in a highly competitive field, you might have to field questions like "why did you quit," or if you wanted a BA you might have to re-take classes because the credit lapsed (I almost lost 2 years of academic credit that way back in the 80s). But you are looking for a short training where none of that is likely to be relevant. Community college is definitely one of the most common places to get that. There are more expensive private places, often called something like "career institute," that offer similar trainings. There are federal, state, and local resources for job-hunters, and other resources for seniors, that might help you focus on an achievable skill area /and/ help you with your resume. Resume trends are changing and it's not a bad idea to get someone who's up on current expectations to help you. They should be able to help you showcase whatever skills you already have in ways that will appeal to employers, without looking like a resume-padder.

Right now the labor market is still tight enough that employers are more flexible than usual about qualifications (at least, so I've read) (God knows how long that will last, and I imagine that when it ends us olds will be the first to go). But normally, yes, people do expect you to be able to prove that you have the skills (by finishing a training or by testing, though the chance to test out seems rare). People who bypass that are either brilliant, or well connected, or very very lucky, or all three. IOW the fact that it's out there once in a blue moon doesn't mean you should plan on finding it.

Insisting that the job be work-from-home, especially from day one, will narrow your prospects considerably. Since you need to save money anyway, you might focus instead on acquiring the kind of job skill that CAN be done from home (eg, not waitressing), and start building up your skills and experience, including by working on-site if necessary. An agency that supports job-hunters, or seniors, or lower-income people, or women, might help you put together a plan. Having a concrete goal to work toward might help with the depression.

I'm not sure we're still in a boom time for tech jobs, and the Covid work-from-home boom seems to be fading a bit or at least becoming unpredictable. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're receiving Social Security there is a limit to how much $$ you can earn on the side. (Despite my initial worries, I have never come close to reaching the limit myself LOL.) Also, there's been a lot of talk recently about education scams -- mostly around 2- and 4-year programs at private unis, at least that I've read about, but it's worth being careful before you shell out any money for training, including asking about graduation rates and job-placement rates. And I'm guessing community colleges are a safer bet than private institutions.

I think the kind of thing you're aiming for is do-able but it's going to take a lot of work and care -- starting with picking a specific, concrete goal to work toward. It's worth considering all the zany, brainstormy ideas that people may suggest (you'll find some on past threads), but eventually you'll want to ask some cold hard questions about how you can make it work. Hope you can have some fun with it, and good luck!
can't thank you enough for all this Morgana, and taking the time to share it with me. If I had my rathers, I would work seasonal jobs (housing included) for National or other parks, farms etc. but the jobs I see listed I am sure would be to rough for me. In 2010 I did a motel-maid job that nearly crippled me, or at least I felt like that. I kept going and working for 3 months but never got over the "dead-body" feeling, and I was keeping up with 20 - 30 year olds. I then did a warehouse job filling orders and kept up with much younger, I was the oldest in the warehouse, and I loved the job but got some sort of issue in my hands from folding (putting together) cardboard FedX boxes. That was another 3 month job then I had to quit to save my hands.

I'm going to call down to our little Workforce office now and ask about training programs for someone like me, that maybe I can earn some points that would look good to a prospective employer ;) Thank you again, Denise

If you can do Access could you take a free certification course in SQL ? Or MySQL ?

11 free certification courses in SQL

11 Free certified SQL courses

25 best free certified MySQL courses

SQL developers are the most in-demand professionals because of the expanding dependence on data and information. It's a career path offering high salaries, in-demand work, contact with the latest technologies, and promising career opportunities.

Becoming an SQL Developer

I'm often having businesses asking if I do SQL/MySQL. It wasn't my thing as I was into the creative stuff.....but I wish now I had pursued the data base training. just to have it to fall back on.

hey @Morgana,

I really liked your suggestions and through the Smart Workforce here in Crescent City, I am getting paperwork emailed to me, including an assessment of my skills. Also, they sounded pretty sure about finding me something. Anyway, I'll fill out everything and take it down to them, meet them in person and see how it all goes. I will let you know when I know more ;) Thank you again, Denise

If you can do Access could you take a free certification course in SQL ? Or MySQL ?

11 free certification courses in SQL

11 Free certified SQL courses

Becoming an SQL Developer

I'm often having businesses asking if I do SQL/MySQL. It wasn't my thing as I was into the creative stuff.....but I wish now I had pursued the data base training. just to have it to fall back on.
I've used Access working for Bank of America but I didn't get it in my college classes in 2011-13. I pick up software very easy, but I recall it being so much better than trying to use Excel for a database.

I will look at your links and thank you so much! I don't know how many times I've seen SQL but have never known what it meant. I'll find out for sure! Free sounds very good to me as well ;)

Hey @eDJ_

I remembered what a query was, LOL!!

The first 2 sound good (for beginners) 1 is right here in CA at UC Davis which is an excellent school I hear.

It has a video that is on-demand though, so not too sure about learning from a video. I'd rather have text to read, I think, but really not sure. I suppose I could pause it when I need to.

What do you think?

Edit: Hmm, Coursera isn't free after 7 days, and it's 39 a month after that. The course says 14 hours, not sure how long it would take to complete. I know nothing is free, but would love to learn this SQL. In fact, if it costs maybe it's better. I wonder if I could take it directly through UC Davis online?? I'll check that out, feedback welcome.

Last edited:
I worked remotely for several years - both from home and in my RV. I was a software developer and worked for IBM. This might come across a bit negative - don’t mean to, but also thing that everyone needs to face reality. Otherwise we can end up rather disappointed.

I don’t know about medical record transcriptions, but would really be surprised that any medical facility would allow medical forms to leave a controlled location due to HIPO rules.

To get a job as a remote developer, you’ve got to have proof that you can do the job. For most folks getting started that’ll be some projects that they did in school. So even if you have some knowledge with some of the tools, you still need to be able that you can develop something that would have value to an employer.

I worked remotely for several years - both from home and in my RV. I was a software developer and worked for IBM. This might come across a bit negative - don’t mean to, but also thing that everyone needs to face reality. Otherwise we can end up rather disappointed.

I don’t know about medical record transcriptions, but would really be surprised that any medical facility would allow medical forms to leave a controlled location due to HIPO rules.

To get a job as a remote developer, you’ve got to have proof that you can do the job. For most folks getting started that’ll be some projects that they did in school. So even if you have some knowledge with some of the tools, you still need to be able that you can develop something that would have value to an employer.
I want to know the good, bad and the ugly, thank you so much for sharing it. I'm really interested in learning anything I can do on a computer as I'm good at it. I don't know what possessed me not to take straight-up computer courses when I got to go back to school 10 or so years ago. I've been fixing friends and families PCs remotely for about 7 or more years, but I don't want to do that now. I'd rather just do something much more independently, well, still work for someone else though. I'm a better follower than a leader.

I just don't know about the classes, and how many I'd really need to impress a prospective employer.

Ok, lets start over, I am open to part-time or temporary work first of all, just to see if I can actually do it again at 70 years old. I have nothing but a high-school diploma, and never worked anywhere for more than 3 years. I'm living on low-income in HUD housing, drive a 94 Mazda pickup, and starting to have some pretty good brain-farts. One when I realized what it took to get a SQL job.

I may only have 10 or a few more years to live on this dirt-clod hurtling through space. So does anyone want to hire me, lol! I know, I'm selling myself short, I could live to be 100 with my luck:LOL:

There, I finally came up with a resume ;)

A friend made a career out of medical transcription from home. First from the Chicago suburbs, then from Maryland. She is retired now.

Just a reminder that you are posting in the Women Only Forum:)

Coursera isn't free after 7 days, and it's 39 a month after that. The course says 14 hours, not sure how long it would take to complete. I know nothing is free, but would love to learn this SQL. I
Usually you can audit Coursera courses for free and just need to pay if you want the certificate. If you were insanely motivated, you could always audit it first, then pay your fee and slam through the course again quickly for credit. You don't always get ALL the resources in the free version -- often you can't take the quizzes (which would make sense, to prevent someone from cheating if they do what I just suggested).

You can learn all SORTS of stuff for your own satisfaction for free (and bless the people who put all that out there). Just make sure if you pay for something the certificate you get will be recognized.
Do you mean HIPAA or is HIPO something different? Digital transfer of medical information, outside of physically controlled locations, is very common these days. I'm pretty sure they have arrangements for remote medical transcriptionists -- logically, you'd think whatever security arrangements work for medical records, doctor referrals, etc., could be made to work for this too if the remote worker met certain conditions -- but it would be easy enough to check. A quick sloppy Google suggests that yes remote work is available in this, but I didn't really check carefully.

Usually you can audit Coursera courses for free and just need to pay if you want the certificate. If you were insanely motivated, you could always audit it first, then pay your fee and slam through the course again quickly for credit. You don't always get ALL the resources in the free version -- often you can't take the quizzes (which would make sense, to prevent someone from cheating if they do what I just suggested).

You can learn all SORTS of stuff for your own satisfaction for free (and bless the people who put all that out there). Just make sure if you pay for something the certificate you get will be recognized.
I don't understand how it would help me to take the course without having some proof I completed it though @Morgana. Also, I still think I have to have a lot more education to actually use "SQL" as one of my skills. I googled "what jobs can I get with SQL skills", and they were all about things way over my abilities. Not one simple data entry job. I think it's pretty clear my lack of education. I've done data entry jobs, just plug in the info from paperwork onto the Access, or some companies own software.

I'm also thinking if I was to go for a degree, even 2 year, I'd be even older! Time is flying by now and are people my age getting hired for these types of jobs if they aren't loaded with experience, and a degree?

Yeah it's really a risk no matter what you do (including doing nothing). Right now the job market is still cooking pretty good but who knows how long that will last? I'm going through something sort of similar myself in terms of wanting to be really realistic about what's OFF the table so I can make the most of what's still ON it ... before I get any fricken older grr grr grr. It would be great if you could find a jobs counselor through one of these programs to help you work through options. Not that that would be a panacea; you'd still have to be pretty proactive. But at least help you structure this search so you can pick something and get on it. If you could get your foot in the door somewhere now while they're still hurting for workers, and impress the cr@p out of someone, who knows how long you could work and how far you could go?

Do you know a second language? My nephew makes decent money teaching English as a second language online. I'm just guessing you need the second language.

You said you don't want to do phone work, but if you have a cable/fiber connection there are jobs from home. No satellite, though. Might want to check into it, because COVID opened up more work from home positions doing phone work.

If there are many hotels/motels near you, you could be a front desk clerk. Not strenuous.

School bus drivers make decent ($18.00/hour) money where I live.

I've been at this since 5 a.m. so I'll get off here for now. I do appreciate all the info you all gave me and I'll let you know if I get something going.

... I need a real job, but working from home...I really think Part-time, maybe full-time would allow me to save enough for an RV...
a)
We workkamp a small organic teaching farm near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.
We share the acreage with a couple-three dozen other workkampers in various versions of home-built rigs and RecreateVehicles.
Some days, we are on-duty two hours.
Other days, we might put in four or five hours.
b)
After a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle.
Could something like our rig work for you?

I'm living on low-income in HUD housing,
Didn’t see this mentioned, but any additional income you generate will cause your rent to increase, and savings sufficient to buy an RV may also be problematic to HUD, so take a close look at your financial reporting rules.

Might stop in at your Senior Center, too, and see what kind of skills-improvement classes may be available free or at low cost there.

Also might consider some volunteer work, to get yourself out there and amongst others.

Good luck.