Fedex step vans clear roofs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patschum

Reaction score
Wondering if the clear roof panels of the old Fedex vans are a good thing or a negative. It seems they could be either, depending.... Anyone have any experience retrofitting a stepper with the clear roof?

I have one as a work truck- nice to be able to see in there, but the fiberglass tends to deteriorate and leak.
I coated mine with white mobile home roof coating, it works, but sure wouldn't walk on it!

If I convert this one, will treat it to more coating and finish inside with sprayed closed cell foam to give it more strength.

I would think it would be difficult to saw or drill it? If so, putting in roof vents, solar panels, etc. Would be problematic.

And if you are going to insulate it, that will block any light from coming in, which is really the only thing that roof is good for.

Regards
John

I'd agree that the plastic roof material would get brittle over time. Too much sun and cold, contracting and expanding all the time will take a toll.

I put a big skylight in onna mine, and it worked great!!

Mine had a roof vent- leaking POS that it was..... I actually removed and screwed a metal patch in its place with butyl tape under.

Fiberglass is no real problem to cut or drill, but whatever you do needs to be backed up/supported with wood or metal framing.

Drilling works best with a hole saw, or in the case of small holes - a stepped bit , or a dull one with slow and gentle speed and pressure. I like to drill screw holes a bit oversize and let the butyl caulking or tape squeeze into the hole to allow for some expansion and contraction

Adding roof racks/ solar panels/etc requires either attachment to the metal sides and bridging the width of the van, or drilling, sealing, bolting directly through the existing roof supports....I would be inclined to make aluminum supports that bolted through the sides and were elevated an inch or so above the fiberglass since aluminum and fiberglass expand and contract at different rates. Also that would allow for future sealing if it became necessary, and ventilation for panels and roof.

Another option might be to cover the entire roof with epdm membrane(rubber) - any through bolting or screws would still warrant using backers and butyl.

Fwiw, I installed solar panels without drilling through my roof. Just used the rain gutters (as was mentioned) and fed the cord through passenger window.

My work truck had one when I worked in Chicago, kept things nice and light inside... but over time they all leaked (we had 40-50 of them in the CHI fleet). The company would patch them, but I think over time they would fail pretty significantly.

LeeRevell said:
Stepvans don't have rain gutters.......

after owning 8 of 'em, I beg to differ.

b'sides, we're talking about transparent roofs here...not mounting solar panels

The few people I know / knew -- there a disaster and were replaced ASAP - the best was bracing and thicker sheet metal with an access hatch for his stuff stored on the roof -- no need for outside ladders --