Favorite road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B and C said:
My favorite is SH 550 (Million Dollar Highway) in Colorado between Durango, through Silverton to Ouray. 

This and Highway 1 in California south of San Jose are mine.  I've got a summer place in Cuchara, CO so am able to take frequent day trips on the Million Dollar Highway in the summer months.

Not a highway, but the Hoh River Road in Olympic National Park is incredible. It runs almost 20 miles, deep into the Hoh rainforest. Beautiful, lush, green.

B and C said:
My favorite is SH 550 (Million Dollar Highway) in Colorado between Durango, through Silverton to Ouray.  Can't get enough.  Never did it on a motorcycle though.

I'm gonna have to second that one. 

Here are two picture-heavy posts from my blog about my trip over the Million Dollar Highway and Highway 50 on my trip to Black Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Grand Canyon.  I was there for the fall colors last October!

Attached are a few of my favorite pics from that part of the trip.  1920x1440, about .9 to 1.3 MB.

Attachments

• DSCN0217.JPG
    DSCN0217.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0254.JPG
    DSCN0254.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0263.JPG
    DSCN0263.JPG
    931.6 KB · Views: 10
Not a highway but a route, from Cottonwood, AZ to Cortez in SW CO. Go via Flag, Monument Valley and the McElmo Canyon County Road. This connects to The San Juan Mountains including 550. On the other end going to Prescott from Cottonwood via Jerome is sweet

395 was a favorite growing up going to see my divorced father.

DLTooley said:
Not a highway but a route, from Cottonwood, AZ to Cortez in SW CO. Go via Flag, Monument Valley and the McElmo Canyon County Road.

In Wyoming, 287 then 789, then in Colorado, 13. The town of Craig has some good places to eat.

In Arizona, just about any road. ~crofter

highdesertranger said:
I got this idea from another thread,

What is your favorite road to drive?

mine would be US 395 from Kramer Jct to the Oregon-Washington border. 1,000+ miles of beauty. highdesertranger

New Mexico's Enchanted Circle

crofter said:
In Wyoming, 287 then 789, then in Colorado, 13. The town of Craig has some good places to eat.

In Arizona, just about any road. ~crofter

That drive from Western Colorado to Wyoming is some pretty decent backroad country.  I did it last year for the eclipse, I may do so again this year in September.

highdesertranger said:
...US 395 from Kramer Jct to the Oregon-Washington border....

I'm on 395 right now, at the Walmart in Gardnerville NV. This time I jumped on at highway 178 from Lake Isabella and I'll probably be jumping off at Susanville to head to central OR.

I'm also a big fan of 101/1 from Santa Monica to the Olympic Peninsula. And 145 from Cortez to Telluride -- especially in the fall. And I-70 east from Salina, over the San Rafel Swell. It's like a geology lesson. And US-93 from Ketchum ID to Darby MT.

Have not driven much out west so will have to stick with what I know - route 1 going north from Cape Cod MA up through Maine.
And not just main route 1, but all of the little 1a's and so forth that actually hug the rocky, Atlantic coastline.
Quintessential New England fishing villages and coves, dramatic rocky shorelines with breaking waves...stunning in so many places.
And the best beach in the world, IMHO, in Ogunquit, Maine.

Latest posts