Fashion Don’ts in the Desert

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
Don’t wear black in the desert.

I didn’t have a problem with black attracting heat, that wasn’t the issue for me.

By the end of the day my black pants were covered in dust, I looked pretty bad when I strolled into Walmart today. I immediately bought some tan khaki pants for desert fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't leave your face and ears uncovered. Before face masks were all the rage, we were wearing a lightweight tube up over the nose, neck, and ears to minimize sunburn & dust. There are nice UV ones for fishing. Also wraparound sunglasses to block blowing dust.
-crofter

Flip flops and cholla cactus don't mix well.

Check your shoes, pockets, containers, anything that can be crawled into for critters. Check your sinks, toilets if you have them, ceilings etc In other words always be vigilant. LOL If you come from the East or Midwest the West especially the Southwest, is very different.

LERCA said:
Check your shoes, pockets, containers, anything that can be crawled into for critters. Check your sinks, toilets if you have them, ceilings etc  In other words always be vigilant. LOL If you come from the East or Midwest the West especially the Southwest, is very different.
Oops, really screwing up today. This was supposed to be a post about clothes. Sorry. Although it’s still important not to leave anything open.

7+ years of not being vigilant and I've never had critters in my clothing. But then, the only things I leave outside are a step and a chair.

If you are going to bust brush don't wear anything fuzzy. LOL Ask me how I know.

Highdesertranger

Oh I learned this years ago, that’s why I didn’t bring any sweatpants with me [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of dirt colored clothes, but when I go out hiking around by myself I wear something colorful. If something happens to me, I want to stand out from my surroundings and be easier for help to spot me. Besides, I like bright colors.

A desert tan wardrobe rocks in the desert. Don't forget the shoes/boots.

Safety yellow/orange vest/shirt/sweatshirt/hat for high visibility.

Haven't found anything in my pockets, or shoes, except the sand which is there.

Deerskin pants and Carhartts work well for walking through catclaw, mesquite, and other thorny brush. The Carhartts are rather heavy fabric and can be hot, but at times its worth not getting chewed up by the brush.

Ive had issues with tennis shoes and other light shoes with cactus and other sharp bits, Ive fallen back on my loggers/Smoke Jumpers even when wearing shorts (Carhertt shorts of course) so I dont have to worry about the thorny stuff or sharp rocks, I also like very positive ankle support, ive broken my right foot twice when things rolled under my foot as i stepped on them when not wearing good boots, and cant count the number of times similar things happened when wearing the heavy boots and its a total non-issue.

Ive found scorpions in my cabins, scads of them out on the ground if you look, a black widow in my coffee grounds, and many around the cabin, camp sites and construction sites, and have had numerous rattlesnake encounters. I got in the habit of always turning my boots upside down and giving them a few good smacks to knock out any potential visitors, but so far have only had a couple crickets.

Also to wear heavy pants like carharts or wranglers?  I still carry both but seems like a waste of space.

Many prefer the lightweight hiking pants or other lightweight travel wear that can be rinsed out and dries quickly.
-crofter

The light colored kaki vented fishing shirts with UV protection at Sam's club do a good job in the heat and cold and spills wipe out with a wet rag, even blood, and dry quickly.

The last post reminded me of when Shout was invented and the commercial said it would remove various stains from your husband’s shirts including blood. Seinfeld made a joke about how your husband coming home with blood on his shirts Shout/stain remover was probably the least of your worries.
As far as clothes I’m embarrassed to say I bought my first pair or hiking boots and what a difference.

Latest posts