Fantastic Fan without 12V hookup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsyguy

Reaction score
Could someone tell me if I can install a Fantastic Fan without immediately hooking it up to power?  Meaning... can I manually crank it open without electric before I put in my house battery?
I will most likely be ordering the remote controlled, rain sensor fan.
Thanks,
Mark

Yes, except for the models with a motorized lid.

Agreed with MrNoodly and looking at the website these giys do not post up there owners manuals :(

Unless it has some form of manual override, you need power to open and close the lid.

You could give them a call to find out for sure...800-521-0298

Mike R

Think I saw a YouTube video where there us a manual crank on that model fan also. Might look on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer is yes. If you just want to crank it open by hand, you can do so, unless it's one of the high-falutin electronically controlled models mentioned above.

I vaguely remember that the handle pulls down about a 1/4" to disengage the motor so you can crank it manually....I think.

I got into my minivan yesterday, 75 degrees, partly sunny, interior was roasting. Had scrap reflectix (poor fit) in east and south facing windows, and front window sun screen in place. It was HOT inside.

I have to add a Fantastic Fan now to my solar system needs for my 2005 T & C minivan build. Called a great rep at Dometic, who now own Fantastic Fans. Her name is Bree, and you can ask for her personally. 1.800.521.0298.

Anyone have thoughts on the the model linked below? 237 bucks plus 10 shipping from CA company. Runs on thermostat while out of vehicle, keeps inside at preferred temp. 13 setting choices, using from .2 amps at lowest to 1.9 amps at highest.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-retail-12-volt-fans.html#model7350

This would prevent medications and sensitive materials from overheating while I'm out of the vehicle, as well as keep it cool while I'm inside. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I need to run an 18 Litre Dometic cooler which draws 35 amps and charge cell phone and maybe my pc. Would 200 watts solar do it for my needs?

Anyone headed to Flagstaff know how to install a Fantastic Fan in a minivan??? If so, pls let me know. Thanks!

Artsyguy said:
Could someone tell me if I can install a Fantastic Fan without immediately hooking it up to power?  Meaning... can I manually crank it open without electric before I put in my house battery?
I will most likely be ordering the remote controlled, rain sensor fan.
Thanks,
Mark

The model I listed today in this thread is remote control w rain sensor fan. Great lady at Dometic (who now owns Fantastic Fans) name Bree helped me, you can ask for her by name. And if you go their site it shows each model and function. The one I like 7350 I believe, offers manual or remote operation. But I may have noticed a Wifi sign there. Don't want one dependent on Wifi. So have to check back for more details.

Kathleen said:
The model I listed today in this thread is remote control w rain sensor fan. Great lady at Dometic (who now owns Fantastic Fans) name Bree helped me, you can ask for her by name. And if you go their site it shows each model and function. The one I like 7350 I believe, offers manual or remote operation. But I may have noticed a Wifi sign there. Don't want one dependent on Wifi. So have to check back for more details.

It has a wireless remote, not the same as wifi activated.

This world isn said:
It has a wireless remote, not the same as wifi activated.

THANK YOU for clarifying that!! That model seems to be the only one that combines both features I want: thermostat and rain protection. Now I just need to find a way to install without paying $400 bucks!

Kathleen said:
THANK YOU for clarifying that!! That model seems to be the only one that combines both features I want: thermostat and rain protection. Now I just need to find a way to install without paying $400 bucks!

if it was wifi active then you could control it via smart phone or tablet after downloading the app for it