Family of 5 ready to take first step towards dreams.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!
I’m a wife and mother of three. My family is on the path to one day having a homestead in Washington. We own a house now but are wanting to transition to a travel trailer or fifth wheel so we can have a place to live while we search for property and build our dream home. We plan on spending at least a year on my grandparents property while we search for land. Right now all I have are questions! Travel trailer or fifth wheel? Best brand? New or used? We will be traveling a bit during the winter while my husband is laid off so we won’t be parked the whole time. We have a truck that will tow anything we get. Any tips and advice are greatly appreciated!

Welcome Homestead to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

gsfish said:
Welcome to the forum. What are your children's ages? What part of Washington are you interested in? Best of luck in realizing your dreams.

Guy

Thank you! I’m excited to get some advice from the pros! [emoji5] We have three girls, 1, 3, and 5. We grew up in northeast Washington and are really hoping to find land around there. Winters are a bit harsh so that worries me a bit. Although we do have lots of family here so if anything does go south we have options to get out of the cold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry. I forgot to add we live in a house. I did however read some articles about other families that stated having lots of outdoor activities, and "porch area" helps. Also, after awhile it worked itself out. Kids learned to play in the dirt outside. Oh, also having a bathtub is important, because they will get caked in dirt.

sometimesido said:
I'm sorry. I forgot to add we live in a house. I did however read some articles about other families that stated having lots of outdoor activities, and "porch area" helps. Also, after awhile it worked itself out. Kids learned to play in the dirt outside. Oh, also having a bathtub is important, because they will get caked in dirt.

That was my fault for assuming! I was thinking about purchasing a small stock tank to sit outside during the summer. That way I could dunk the kids before they ran inside! Hubby works in the summer and we have to stay in one spot so hauling it around won’t be an issue. Before we decided to go the home on wheels route I was an avid “glamping” fan so I’m already planning on how to decorate my porch too. [emoji23] Do you have any favorite websites that you’re getting articles from?

I can't remember it all, but a lot of it I mainly searched on youtube for "family lives in a bus"(or 5th wheel, or tiny house, etc.)

I think there's one family of 6 who just downsized to 22 footer RV. That amazes me.

sometimesido said:
I can't remember it all, but a lot of it I mainly searched on youtube for "family lives in a bus"(or 5th wheel, or tiny house, etc.)

I think there's one family of 6 who just downsized to 22 footer RV. That amazes me.

I never thought about YouTube! And holy cow! I would love to be able to do that! It has to be so liberating! I think we will have to start out big though. lol I’m thankful that for the first months we start we will be parked at my grandmas so I can let the girls go visit GG if I get overwhelmed at first.

Good luck to you guys and have fun! We'd do it too if it weren't for some health issues.

Latest posts