Extended warranty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are months away from selling our house and getting into an RV and I’m a little anxious about the whole buying process. Mostly all the paperwork!

Recently some friends bought an RV from the same place we are planning on going to and they have been telling me since that no matter what, we need to make sure we don’t skimp on the warranties since we plan on living in it. This is their first RV too though and I’ve taken everything they’ve told me with a grain of salt.

We are pretty much set on buying new because neither my husband or I are wanting to have to deal with repairs right off the bat.
But, we will be financially able to deal with mishaps or smallish repairs and since we will be parked in one spot most of the time there’s not a huge chance of anything crazy happening.

I really just want to hear from everyone with more experience and get some solid advice. Would I be stupid to not overly protect our new home or I’m I correct in thinking that all that extra money for peace of mind is going out the window?

PS We are buying from a larger RV company here. We tried looking into some smaller lots but they seemed a little sketchy for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first RV I purchased new, I bought an extended warranty from (or called) Platinum Plus for $2300 (a little less than 10 percent of the price of the travel trailer) for a 7 year term. I found it is secondary to the mfg warranty (so the first year it doesn't do much) and there are exclusions (including water damage). It is also refundable; they'll prorate the amount you paid. If you do file a claim there is often a deductible you pay (mine was $100).

If you really feel more comfortable with an extended warranty, I would shop around. You can buy after purchase and there are several companies that offer this type of product. Maybe do the warranty as a separate purchase from the RV dealer with a right to refuse 2 or 3 days later while you compare prices (I did this). For my next RV, I didn't end up buying a warranty; I felt if I got any benefit from it, it would be for a failed appliance like the fridge.

Good luck!

-I've read elsewhere that the cost of an extended warranty when purchased at the dealer with the RV can be rolled into the monthly RV payment which can be convenient. Be sure to read what the exclusions are as some might be the reason you're seeking a warranty.
- You will be living in it, vs someone using the RV on the occasional weekend, so chances are much greater that something may pop up within the manufacturer's warranty period.
- The deductible may be more than the cost of you taking care of it yourself. As you live in your new home it'll be much like your old one in that you'll go to the store to get the parts to fix whatever. It could Dicor Sealant, EternaBond Tape, or a few screws to take care of something that you've noticed. Side note: Much like your house, your RV will require a certain amount or type of tools to have on hand. Take a look at everything that may need adjusting of some sort in the future and be prepared.
- Automotive dealerships will honor an extended warranty on vehicle brands that they sell, and I've read that RV dealerships are under no obligation to do so. This may force you to take it where you bought it which can be inconvenient.
-I've read that RV dealerships exist to sell RVs and have a service center as a necessary evil vs a mobile (or stationary) RV Service facility whose business relies on their reputation.
- It's fair to assume that the RVs that are getting prepped for sale will be priority and those brought in for service will get in line. This line could be days, weeks, or months long and is a major hurdle for a full time RVer, whereas a mobile tech will come to your house to take care of the issue (sound familiar?).
-At this point you may have noticed a bias against an extended warranty. I made my decision a while back based on the above viewpoint without regret. My thinking was that the manufacturer's warranty for the individual components as well as the RV itself will suffice and beyond that I'll take care of it myself or an RV Technician will, and I'll pay for it with the "extended warranty" savings.

When I bought my travel trailer I was told an extended warranty did not cover the roof, which is the most expensive item. I told them no extra warranty, I will fix it myself. RV parts, water heaters, a/c's, furnaces, etc. are pretty cheap on eBay. I can buy lots of parts for $2300.

Thank you so much everyone! I was to the point of nail biting freaking out about it yesterday! We are off to the rv show here today, window shopping no buying yet, and I have so much more confidence about the whole process now. I have way more faith in you guys then any salesman I’ve ever met [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you're looking at RVs it's the small things that matter.

For example, I went to test the house batteries of a friends RV the other week. In trying to test them I discovered that there wasn't a single 12V outlet in her entire living area. There were only 2 accessory plugs in the driving compartment and they were connected to the starter battery not the house batteries.

We all recommend that if you're using a CPAP machine to get the 12V adapter cord for it. Another person I know is now faced with re-wiring her 5th wheel because of the same problem. She at least has 1 - 12V outlet but it's in the living room, nowhere near the bedroom where she needs it.

The other problem we found in just a cursory look is that the battery compartment under the steps in the first RV is built so tight that she can't change the type of batteries in use. The only cure is to have a welder drop the battery compartment by enough room to allow a taller, heavier more robust battery to be used.

NONE of the RVs built today are built for either full-time living nor boondocking. They are built for the family who wants to take it to the local campground 3 or 4 times a year and plug it in to the shorepower, hook up the water and sewer and believe that they are experiencing the great outdoors.

Yes if you want quality you need to build it yourself.

Or pay someone to build custom to your design.

The former option will be better and cheaper than factory.

The latter **very** expensive, but good build quality only likely if you micro-manage every step, and that assumes they have the know-how.

And **all** of these options of course require that you yourself are clear on what you want.