Experiment with Hand Washing a Blood Stain with Bio Soap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
This experiment came about by chance. I got a blood stain on a shirt. I also wash laundry by hand with a purpose built plunger for doing laundry in a bucket. At the time I was using Sal Suds made by Dr. Bronner and it didn't get rid of it after it went through the wash. So I pre-treated it with Sal Suds, washed it again, and the stain was still there. Then I pre-treated with Campsuds and then washed in Campsuds, but the stain was still there. Then I pre-treated with Dawn dish soap and did a load with Dawn dish soap and the stain was still there. That surprised me. It's certainly good for getting out oily stains, but apparently not so much with organic stains.

Then I pre-treated with Tide Free and did a load in Tide Free. Took the stain right out. This was after several weeks of washing and hang-drying that shirt, so the stain had set in to some degree. Tide is also awesome for getting out oily stains.

I like Campsuds the best because it can be mixed with bleach when doing whites and is biodegradable. Tide and laundry soap in general is the only other thing I know of that can be mixed with bleach for cleaning. Sal Suds you can't. Campsuds a bit more concentrated than Sal Suds, too.

Campsuds is my go-to for laundry as it does a great job of cleaning clothes and rinsing clean. But for those tough loads or for pre-treating severe, organic stains, I'm keeping a jug of Tide.

Not familiar enough with those cleaners to comment, but thought I'd pass along that Shout! works surprisingly well, though it's not environmentally friendly, and toothpaste can be a miracle stain remover for ink and some other things if the stain is still relatively fresh.

I like the small sizes of Shout bottles instead of a large bottle of laundry soap. I wish the biodegradable worked as well as Tide, but at least it works well on most stuff. Since I throw my soap on the ground, I like to have as little impact as possible.

Blood stains. Burn the clothing and get rid of the evidence.

Blood Lots of rinsing soaking in Cold! water. Even a Cold wash. Warm, Hot sets it

"If you have blood on your clothes maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"
      Jerry Seinfeld

Hydrogen peroxide will take it right out! Once it’s out wash as normal!

SD

Hydrogen Peroxide would kick a blood stain in the butt, but will it bleach the shirt? (I said, "Butt, but" lol)

Canine said:
Hydrogen Peroxide would kick a blood stain in the butt, but will it bleach the shirt? (I said, "Butt, but" lol)

Not in my experience!  It’s  common method in the medical field for those that get a bit bloody!

SD

My first night on call as an intern, I got blood all over my "whites" (in those days interns were identified by their all-white clothes and short white coat, and it better be clean and don't get caught without it). Between that and the sleep deprivation I was kind of distraught, so a nice nurse took me to her locker and dosed my clothing up with Shout in the bathroom sink while I shivered in a stall in my underwear. Ta-da, blood stains vanished! I put my wet whites back on and squelched off down the hall. Come to think of it, I haven't even owned a bottle of Shout since I retired....and thanks for reminding me of this story [emoji1]

The Dire Wolfess

I will try the hydrogen peroxide thing on a colored shirt as a test and post the results in a different thread. Now I need someone to punch me in the nose- there's a long line of takers for that one.

I'm a hydrogen peroxide fan! I worked on a fishing boat and not only does it work on blood stains but gets fish oder out

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk