Experience w/ Renogy AGM Batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyyankees588

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with the Renogy AGM batteries? They seem to be considerably cheaper than other AGM batteries with similar capacity.

• Deep Cycle AGM 100AH (12v) = $199
  • Deep Cycle AGM 200AH (12v) = $390
They have minimal reviews on Amazon and haven't found much about them elsewhere. It appears that they have a 2yr warranty, which is a decent start. Thanks in advance...

Upon looking closer it looks like the the 200AH capacity rating is based on 10 hour rate... Most other batteries are rated using the 20 hour rate, correct? Could this be the culprit for the lower price... It actually has less power than a 200ah battery @ 20hours?

A 10-hour rate should show lower AH than at the gentler 20-hour rate so in this case their error is being conservative, surprised marketing let that slip.

The 12V battery market in North America is 99.99% scammers. I doubt those are truly good quality for deep cycling purposes. You should be able to easily get the detailed tech info on these

specific charge profile, trailing amps definition of 100% Full, equalization if appropriate,

storage discharge rate vs temperature

charts on these like DoD% vs lifetime cycles (scrap at 80% SoH) or

SoC% vs voltage at different discharge rates, accurate to two decimal places

etc. If not then you should be able to call the **manufacturer** - which will not be Renogy - and speak to a qualified engineer in tech support.

I'd bet good money these are not available.

IMO Lifeline, Odyssey and Northstar are the only makers of good quality mainstream true deep cycle AGM in the US market.

They are expensive.

Flooded (FLA) batts are **much** better value, even the cheapest will last longer than those Renogy, at ~$180 per 200+AH locally.

I only recommend buying AGM if you have a real need, like the install location requires mounting batts lying on their side.

Could this be the culprit for the lower price... It actually has less power than a 200ah battery @ 20hours?

It works the other way around; 200AH in 10 hours is harder to do than 200AH in 20hrs. It is unusual for a battery company to report only the 10hr rate; 20h is standard for deep cycle batts. I'd guess the information is wrong, based on the clearly confused "owner" comments on the Renogy page.

Reviews on Amazon are mixed, but the reviewers don't seem particularly well informed. I'd guess they are plain jane Chinese AGM rebadged with the Renogy logo. I'm not knocking that, btw.

BTW, the 200Ah battery weights 129lbs.

And with lead batts you **want** heavier weight per AH.

Lighter weight means poorer quality wrt deep cycling lifetime.

That's why pairs of 6V is convenient, the best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, available at BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

For 18 months, 16 months full time, I’ve used the VMax batteries that Renogy sells. 3, 100 Ah, and they’ve worked flawlessly. I use a CPAP every night (using Schumacher 410 inverter) and power a 50 qt Dometic refrigerator at 35 degrees. Also the barebones 3 speed manual Fantastic roof fan. My batteries have never gone below 12.5. I use 3, 100 w Renogy Eclipse panels. On bad sun days I recharge them with a generator and Vmax 20 amp, 7 stage Smart charger. Takes approximately 3 hours.

Bob
Good review !
What are the settings you use on that charger ?

John61CT said:
IMO Lifeline, Odyssey and Northstar are the only makers of good quality mainstream true deep cycle AGM in the US market.

They are expensive.

Flooded (FLA) batts are **much** better value, even the cheapest will last longer than those Renogy,  at ~$180 per 200+AH locally.

I only recommend buying AGM if you have a real need,  like the install location requires mounting batts lying on their side.

Thanks John. My thought was similar. Seemed too good to be true for an AGM. I'm leaning towards either 2 Trojan or the Duracell branded 6v FLA batteries for the value. I've read differing perspectives regarding ventilation for FLA - any insight/experience on the need for that? I expect to have consistent air movement in my van between a fan & open windows, but I understand that technically speaking FLA batteries are supposed to be vented directly to the outside.

Some people are sensitive. For me, don't mind if I smell it crack a window for a while.

Just make **very** sure they're secured from moving in an accident and non-conductive cover to prevent shorting.

If fully enclosed, then you *have* to vent, careful no sparks.

H rises so maybe a flex tube from a top corner to outside, or where you're already venting out, like a fridge.

My understanding is the only time they gas is when they are being charged, so less of an issue for sleeping hours.

frater secessus said:
That's the topic of this very thread (as mentioned in the first post).  

BTW, the 200Ah one weighs 129lbs.  Bring a friend to help install.  :)

Yeah, I know, but this thread is a few months old.  I was wondering if anyone had tried these in the interim.  The Amazon price makes them look quite attractive.

Seems like Renogy (or Amazon) has removed the 200 ah version from Amazon. Probably because it was $100 cheaper than the price on Renogy's site.

I have 2 V max 125 Amp sealed deep cycle wired in parallel which gives me 250 Amps I have 3 100 Watt renogy panels I run a whynter 45 quart fridge set at 34 Deg  a reg house fan charge my lap top use a can opener and a toaster and my batteries have never gone below 93% but I bought my Batteries straight from V Max charge tank they were on sale for $165.00 each.

John61CT said:
Hi new to the site. Im new to solar too so I'm trying to get as much info as i can. Im studying batteries at the present. Very confusing!!! I had an old winnebago back in the day and we ran 2 6v Trojan T105's and the worked very well without solar. The reason I am messaging you is I was leaning toward a 12V AGM 200AH. Have been looking at the plethora of Amazon offerings and came across the Renogy stuff as well as ALL the other Chi-com AGM's. So I came across a post here that you made regarding the 6V DuraCells that are sold at BatteriesPlus. They have several "models" available. I DO know that 2 6v of say 225AH rated is= 1 12V of the same. This older camper that Im getting has a space, where Im taking out the OLD Refrigerator,-to replace it with chest "type" compressor refer stored on the floor. If I go this way would the Duracell's still be a good choice and which model? I KNOW they are heavy and big but I DO have room. Does It, just, matter the desired AH's??? They have some for about $125 to $199 plus core that are, IIRC, 200AH-230AH  Thanks in advance Bob
And with lead batts you **want** heavier weight per AH.
I REALIZE THAT THIS IS AN OLD POST BUT.....
Lighter weight means poorer quality wrt deep cycling lifetime.

That's why pairs of 6V is convenient, the best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, available at BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

Spud your post is very confusing. Please when you quote move the cursor outside the text box and then type your answer. I can't tell where John's quote ends and your stuff begins or vice versa. or better yet just ask questions without quoting.

I am really not sure what you are asking but Sam's Club has 6v GC(Golf Cart) batteries for 89 bucks and they usually let you turn in any type of automotive 6 or 12v battery for a core.

Also go on over to the "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro. we will give you an official welcome and a link to tips, tricks, and rules.

highdesertranger