Expediting

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vantexan

Reaction score
Thought I would tell you about a great travelling job.  I work for an expediter.  I drive a large Ram Promaster van all over the country delivering loads that are too big to send overnight but are too small and time sensitive to put on a tractor-trailer.  You really have to love driving but biggest benefit to me beyond the pay is seeing new places as well as revisiting one's I really like.  I sleep in my truck, have no expenses beyond food and incidentals.  Have television on my phone as well as use it for a hotspot for my tablet.  Get paid every two weeks, best pay period grossed almost $2500.  Am currently hanging out in Ft.Worth, waiting for things to start up again after the holiday.  If you want to get into travelling full-time with minimal start up costs and get paid too then search Craigslist for expediting.  Much better than trying to find local jobs that pay little and you often have to sneak around.

Do you need or run a logbook? for commercial interstate drivers? It sounds like what are also known as Hot-Shot drivers.

Just for fun I went to the Fort Worth Craigslist (I know, that's just where you're hanging out) and ran a search under jobs for "expediting." None of these are driving jobs. One is a server in a restaurant.

Attachments

• expediting.jpg
    expediting.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
No logbook, cdl, or DOT medical card(although some companies still require the medical card).  I found my job by using an all of Craigslist search engine.  Searches entire Craigslist from around the country.  This isn't for everyone.  Sometimes I drive all day then next run is overnight.  Can wear on you.  But if you like driving it's hard to beat.

It doesn't matter where you are located to get a job like that. I search nationwide as they will hire you from anywhere since you are a nomadic employee anyway.

This site that shows Craigslist results from everywhere shows one based in Kansas City but is hiring regional/national.

http://www.onecraigs.com/

There are different levels of expediting.

Van, straight truck, and even class 8 semi truck expediting.

Most van type expediting takes place in and around (and between) large metro areas...scenic campground layovers are few and far between. You will be sleeping in truck stops, hotel parking lots, walmart parking lots, warehouse districts, industrial areas, and rest areas.

And you have to be ready to roll at a moments notice....

When you are not required to run log books that might sound like a good thing...and in some ways it is...but it also means that it's much harder to tell a dispatcher that you are tired, and out of hours, and cant drive.

Also, van expediting puts a LOT of miles on a vehicle and engine that are not really designed to do that (in most cases).

I'm not saying its not a viable way to earn a living, but it aint exactly a paid vacation either.

Here is an eample of an expeditors website, no affiliation inferred:

http://midwestexpediting.com/

Here is their FAQ page:

http://midwestexpediting.com/driverfaq.php

The number of available expedite units literally doubled from 2014 to 2018. The number of available loads did not change appreciably. So, rates are down due to saturated market, load opportunities down due to same, result is a lot more sitting between loads. Sitting in the places mentioned above....

One of the worst places for that is Laredo.  Spent two days waiting there.  It's rare that my company doesn't find a run fairly quickly.  Did a short run this morning that paid me $87.50.  Got another one from South Texas to Mississippi that I'm picking up this evening that pays me $262.50.  $350 for about 30 hours with me napping during it isn't bad.  Sometimes I really get pushed, then occasionally have a whole day to myself.  Not for everyone but living out of the van allows me to save money.  And it's their van.  Nothing comes out of my pocket for maintenance or breakdowns, which hasn't happened yet.