Ethernet Cable RJ45

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Furley

Reaction score
I am new here and will like to learn where I should start on my build with terms of knowing where to plug my Ethernet Cable so that I can get Internet using my laptop?

What I am aiming for is to plug the Ethernet cable, from the laptop, to a modem or something that is connected to an external antenna that I can mount outside on the roof of the van to tap into Wi-Fi zones to get better reception and reduce my RF exposure?

nowadays it's all wireless. your booster is a wireless hotspot. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nowadays it's all wireless.  your booster is a wireless hotspot.  highdesertranger

I don't think I am looking for a booster since my conection does not need to penetrate through the windows, walls, and me inside of my vehicle, no faraday cage effect applys to my application, my plans are to have something mounted on the roof, outside. 

I believe I am looking for a wireless transmitter, low grade (comparable stregth to my old laptop) & not extra strength, to plug my ethernet cord from the roof? No hotspot, just plug & play.

In regards to your comment "it's all wireless these days".  That's true, that's why I am asking for help in these forums & not at the store. Used, homemade, or whatever works that fits my preferences?

I know that some of us here on this forum may gone this route years ago and I hope to gain some insight?

You can also buy 1 or 2 watt USB wifi cards that can accept an external antenna. Some folks refer to these as wifi boosters, but they don't 'boost' your existing wifi card, they are a separate unit with a more powerful wifi radio than what you are using now.

These can give you a range of about 1/4 to 1/3 mile (to a good public wifi access point) with a very simple magnetic antenna on the roof of the vehicle. They will run about $30-$40 or so with the magnetic antenna.

Mine look like this:

2017-10-04 17.31.58.jpg

If you need more range and are willing to spend more money, look on this website...they have whatever you need to get a long range wifi signal:

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jefa-tech-wifi-repeaters/products/rv-repeater-kit

Attachments

• 2017-10-04 17.31.58.jpg
    2017-10-04 17.31.58.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
tx2sturgis said:
You can also buy 1 or 2 watt USB wifi cards that can accept an external antenna. Some folks refer to these as wifi boosters, but they don't 'boost' your existing wifi card, they are a separate unit with a more powerful wifi radio than what you are using now.

These can give you a range of about 1/4 to 1/3 mile (to a good public wifi access point) with a very simple magnetic antenna on the roof of the vehicle. They will run about $30-$40  or so with the magnetic antenna.

Mine look like this:

If you need more range and are willing to spend more money, look on this website...they have whatever you need to get a long range wifi signal:

https://www.jefatech.com/collections/jefa-tech-wifi-repeaters/products/rv-repeater-kit
Thank you!

Latest posts