Escaping Thailand!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NolaK

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is Nola in Thailand. I’m an introverted expat who has been considering moving back the States for awhile now. Yes, I live in paradise, but the smell of pine, diversity of America’s landscapes and occasional adventures with people who I actually have things in common with is something I can’t go without any longer. 

Anyway, I’ve always been a bit nomadic, so I started researching RV life for my return home. Then about 2 months ago I came across Bob’s videos. Bam! The light switch turned on. This was it. Van life is so much more me. 

I don't like being all talk no action, so I did not join the forum until today. Why today? Because I listed my home with a realtor this week, started finding sanctuaries for several beach dogs which have been under my care (my own 2 dogs will be moving with me), began liquidating some of my art and I feel I am firmly on the path to this new phase in my life. It might be 2 months or 2 years, before my property sells, but wow am I looking forward to getting to this next stage.

Beyond all that I spent the first 40 years of my life backs and forth between San Diego and South Dakota. I'm a zoologist, who evolved into writing travel guidebooks with an emphasis on global volunteer travel programs. After a retirement fail, I went back to college and studied graphic design, which is what I do now. Nonetheless animals, photography, motorcycles and art are my forever passions. 

Anyway, that’s me in a nut shell! Nice to connect with you all. Hope to see you soon!

Cheers,

Nola

Welcome Nola to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

"Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community"

I like that!

Welcome, Nola! I think you'll be an asset to our community! I'm glad you found us!

I'll bet you have some very interesting stories about your life in Thailand!

Welcome to the forum and back to the good ole USA. (when you get here!)

Thank you Cyndi! I look forward to learning from everyone as I find my feet (wheels) in this new life and hope to use my few talents to pay it back in my own way.

Welcome Nola, what an interesting person you are!. Plus you are already set up for a nomadic income with your books, your art works etc that you have for sale online.

It think you are going to have some great new adventures to write about and also create graphics of.

I also enjoyed seeing some of your graphics inspired by the work of your mother during my little browser search to learn more about you.

Thanks Maki,

Clearing out the last of Mom's art will be the hardest part emotionally, especially in Thailand where she has no collectors, but it is time. The good news is, once my life is simplified and I am on the road, I might finally have time to promote her legacy more.... Or I might just go hiking (ha ha)

Cheers!
Nola

Done! I am in a van. I am in Pahrump. It was a brutal path of obsticals, but no place to go but forward so I just kept stepping. Lst night was my first night in the van. A few weeks here and then South. It can be done!

Pahrump is at a fairly high altitude, making it generally colder than lower areas. You might want to check out the temps in lower desert areas such as Lake Havasu City, Quartzsite and Yuma, where it may be more comfortable to spend the winter.

Still going to need a heater in SW AZ until March.

Wow, that's amazing! 3 1/2 months after your original post and you are in a van in the Southwest. You weren't kidding when you said you didn't like all talk and no action. Bravo!

I've been on this forum a year, live in the Southwest and still haven't made "out there" yet...

Lots of folks are already in Quartzsite, if you seek support and comaraderie you will surely find it there.