Escape from California

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slocdog

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a software engineer looking to escape California and retire to van life. Want to travel the country playing disc golf and kayak fishing.   
Started out looking at sailing YouTube channels and then saw a couple transition to a van and starting consuming van life videos and decided that was a less expensive and better way to go. I'm not using most of my condo anyways and I'm trying to sell while I can. Still in the process of selling things off to make a move possible.
I'm a woodworker but a little daunted by the electrical and plumbing aspects of a van build. Not sure if better to have someone else do the build for electrical/plumbing or if that is doable on my own without too many screw ups. Planning to do a Promaster build but still deciding whether to do the extended version or not (worried about hills/dragging and parking). 
Transitioning out of the condo is something I'd like to do early, saving money while doing the van build. But would need a place for woodworking equipment with electricity, water to do that in. Not sure if a warehouse rental or similar in another state is possible.
Still figuring things out and hoping I'll be able to get some answers here. .

I believe in California there are community type workshops that others have mentioned. Maybe someone will chime in that has used them. Anyway welcome and if you get to the north end of Lake Powell in Utah to fish you will probably never leave so try to stay away! Lol!!!

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Start simple. Toss a cot and some camping gear into the van and go out for a few days. Learn what you need. Start building slowly. Go out for a few days. Repeat.

shadowmoss said:
Start simple.  Toss a cot and some camping gear into the van and go out for a few days.  Learn what you need.  Start building slowly.  Go out for a few days.  Repeat.

Exactly.

OP, don't invest a lot of time/energy/money into a formal build until you've got a very clear idea of what YOU need to live in a van. This will be different from what I need or from what that person over there needs. 

And you get this clear idea by doing it, not dreaming about it.