Empty Nester’s Dream Coming True

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troliver76

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve never been a part of a forum, but after following Bob on and off for a couple of years I decided to become an official member of Cheap RV Living.

I’ll try to make our story short. Hubby and I have been dreaming about escaping traditional life since we met 5 years ago. Only problem then was that I still had two kiddos at home and was teaching high school (not even close to retirement). Hubby is an over the road trucker, so he could live pretty much anywhere he could get a job. We started out binge watching YouTube videos about TinyHomes, then graduated to RV’s, before finally deciding to invest in a van and move to Oregon from Kansas City sometime by the time we were at retirement age. Well...a week after my youngest graduated from high school my life took an unexpected happy turn. While on the road, hubby called to say an opening in Oregon became available in his company. Knowing he wouldn’t be granted the transfer, I called his bluff and told his to go ahead and apply. Two days later he called to say it was granted and that he would start work in his new location in three weeks!! 

I spent the rest of the summer selling 90% of our belongings, dropped babygirl off to college in August, then packed up the car with what was left two days later to leave everything I’ve ever known and start my new life with my hubby in Oregon.

We decided to not rent, since he’s only off two days a week and I am now a full-time trucker’s wife. Three weeks ago we traded in our Honda Crosstour we’ve slept in since I arrived, for a 2017 Nissan NV Cargo Van w/low roof. We are in the beginning stages of our van build, but super excited.The thing that is stressing us out the most at this time is how to move forward with insulating and ventilating our van w/o cutting a hole in the roof (if that’s even a possibility) We only have a foam mattress in there at the time, but have never been happier or free! 

So much for keeping it short...lol

Welcome to the CRVL forums troliver76! Have you seen the video of KC's van with a Fantastic fan mounted in the rear window opening? - Would that work with your van?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

ventilate on the side. I have 3 vents on the roof and never use them, all my air comes from the side vents. You still have to do some cutting but its less work then climbing on top and leaves all your roof available for solar panels. A cordless jigsaw will do quick work of cutting any holes.
As far as insulating, I been applying rtech foam to the roof and sides using a hotglue gun, hotglue sticks to everything. Makes quick work of the insulation. hotglue sticks good to other foam, so you can stack as many layer as you need. I got up to 6 layers of 1/2 foam on the roof.

In this picture these vents feed air into my swampcooler. But you can have a fantastic fan or any type of fan on the other side. You can find these vents at home depot for about 5 dollars, they have larger ones also.
side vents.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 5
If your not willing to cut holes in your brand new van, you are stuck with the windows that open. Rain guards work well on the front door windows. I like the Weathertech slim profile ones. They don't stick way out. Next would be some 12V fans to move the air in the van to the back.

Edit to add: Forgot - Welcome. Got lost in the ventilation.

JonyJoe303:
Thanks for the idea. That’s an interesting option for ventilation we haven’t considered. I love seeing how creative people can be.

Brian:

Thank you. This is something we’ve discussed, but wasn’t sure if they made them for our van (since it’s not one of the more popular cargo vans). I will definitely check out that company tomorrow.

Thanks for posting your story :)
Mine is a bit the same, have 4 yrs til kid graduates and hits college then our time comes. Hubby and I will hit the road then. I am so happy you guys are loving your freedom!! All new adventures coming your way and enjoy your van build. best of luck!

I would think they have a window as a factory option?? I have never liked the idea of a windowless van, but hey we are all different. Welcome aboard. If you can keep your build modular???

Hello Troliver ... welcome to west coast living! I've lived here all my life... and seriously, want to spend more time exploring the rest of the USA. My son also drives a semi for an Oregon company. Well, I hope you have fun converting the van. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Brian for the link. Funny, I was just logging in to get the name of the company to look it up[emoji106][emoji2535]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelaround said:
Hello Troliver ... welcome to west coast living! I've lived here all my life... and seriously, want to spend more time exploring the rest of the USA. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! You are so fortunate to have lived in this beautiful place all your life. We are so excited. Due to hubby’s schedule, I will probably take off and explore by myself most of the time after we get the van converted. Maybe we will have the opportunity to meet one day.

Idaho is also beautiful. Safe travels!

wagoneer said:
I would think they have a window as a factory option?? I have never liked the idea of a windowless van, but hey we are all different.

It’s not totally windowless...there are two back windows. We were looking for rain guards for the windows for when we crack our windows at night.[emoji4]

RoamerRV428 said:
Thanks for posting your story :)
Mine is a bit the same, have 4 yrs til kid graduates and hits college then our time comes. Hubby and I will hit the road then. I am so happy you guys are loving your freedom!! All new adventures coming your way and enjoy your van build. best of luck!

I LOVE the freedom. It’s like we are a young couple exploring adult life for the first time together...lol. Miss my girls, but not all the other daily responsibilities . They think mama is having a mid-life crisis, but in time they will see that this is probably the smartest thing I’ve ever done financially...lol. Your time will come...4 years goes by quick.