Electric Wiring - Tips and Tricks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
You can find cheap electrical tape for sale everywhere. But it almost always loses it’s grip and falls off after a few months. If that happens on wires behind your walls, you’ve got real problems
3M makes the professional grade tape that doesn’t come unstuck. They designate it as Super 33+. Super 88 is similar, but thicker.
For individual wires, I prefer to use heat shrink tubing. But there are still a few places where only tape will do.

120 volt AC electrical parts were designed for use in stationary houses, not moving vehicles. Connections can work loose under vibration.

Once I connect two wires together with a wire nut, I like to wrap a little electrical tape around the nut and wires.

I also think it’s a good idea to wrap the sides of outlets and switches with several wraps of electrical tape to help prevent the screws from backing out once you tighten them down over the wire.

For ordinary wires, heat shrink tubing is a better choice than any tape. It just CANNOT come loose, once it has been shrunk.

For marine applications, they make a special heat shrink that is lined with adhesive. The heat not only shrinks the tube, it also activates the adhesive. The adhesive makes the whole joint waterproof, even if submerged.

It’s more expensive than regular heat shrink, and PROBABLY overkill for most of what we do. I would consider it for areas exposed to the elements, say, wires on the roof.

3M makes really good heat shrink tubing. I would be really leery of unknown/unmarked brands – probably cheap Chinese crap.

Ancor and Blue Sea Marine for the marine heat shrink.

Colored heat shrink can be used to code wires. You can cut a 1 or 2 inch piece of one color, shrink it over a wire near the end, then cut some smaller pieces of different colors and shrink them over the first tube, Say a white tube with red and green rings over it.

Rather than run individual wires, consider getting automotive zip cord. It’s similar to the lamp cord sold at your local hardware store, except that one side is red and one is black, and the insulation is rated to resist gas, oil, anti-freeze, etc. which the household zip cord is not.

Crimp on terminals are available either insulated or uninsulated. The insulated are color coded – yellow insulation for 10 and 12 gauge wire, blue insulation for 14 and 16 gauge, and red for the 18 and 20 gauge. This can be convenient.

BUT, the uninsulated are not only cheaper, I think using heat shrink tubing over them actually gives you a better connection. Plus, you pick your own color heat shrink for coding, as above. But it is more work, and takes longer.

That's all I have. Others should please feel free to add their own tips to this thread.

Regards
John

Great information, thanks. Here are a few of my notes.
3M tape is available in many colors.
Those silicone shrink wraps are what is used on submersible well pumps. That is sever duty.
There are silicone filled screw on wire-nuts.
Good quality numbered tags for wire are available to ID wire runs.
You will find few to no soldered connections in marine or automotive wiring. Soldered connections are difficult to get right and tend to fail with vibration and movement. Use quality solder covered copper wire terminals with a good compression tool, a good investment. Some cheap terminals are aluminum.
There is a special grade 110 wiring that is stranded rather than solid wire,for use in RV.
Marine grade wire is solder covered for it's whole length to protect from corrosion.
One should not use those push in connections on lighter grade 110 switches and sockets. Take time for the screws and tighten them tight.
Again the trick for dependable safe wiring is the quality of the materials you are using. Not the place to save a few $.

Good stuff so far.

One other thing to add to one's electrical tool box is liquid electrical tape. But one must also add patience, as more than one coat is needed as well as dry time in between coats.

Sometimes you can't wrap tape around wire, or get heat shrink over it, and the liquid E tape is key. Just clean the surrounding wire insulation and exposed copper with rubbing alcohol first to insure a good bond, and do not apply too thick, the first coat, or recoat too soon.

I've not had any cheaper heat shrink tubing failures, yet. I believe that the good stuff, just has the ability to shrink more.
can't argue with quality adhesive lined heat shrink though, even if it might be overkill for some applications.

I'm all for the uninsulated crimp terminals covered with heatshrink rather than the insulated terminals. I've never found the un insulated ones and wind up stripping the plastic/nylon off to get at the actual barrel inside which can be a challenge too.

Do avoid the Harbor freight butt connectors. They are not very conductive and heat up greatly passing current. I had a 10awg wire crimped with their 10awg butt crimps, passing 25 Schumacher amps, and the things got so hot they burnt my fingers when I was playing, what's that smell?

Definitely do not try and save money with things electrical. It will cost more, perhaps much more, at some point.

Zil said:
You will find few to no soldered connections in marine or automotive wiring. Soldered connections are difficult to get right and tend to fail with vibration and movement.

Zil, I've read that the FAA will not allow soldered wires anywhere in an aircraft for that reason.

Regards
John

3X (Zil, SternWake) on using quality components. Avoid cheap (HF, Walmart, etc.) terminals. In DC electronics you can't afford voltage loss and the cheaper terminals are made from cheaper materials to cheaper specs (I actually got terminals from some forgotten source that rusted!!!).

Avoid soldered terminals in vehicles (learned that the hard way).

Buy good stripping and crimping tools (voltage loss again).

I use a double crimp on all my terminals, as it is not any harder to do and makes a much stronger connection (first crimp electrically connects the wire to the terminal, second crimp connects the terminal to the insulation for greater pull strength).

Clear, adhesive lined shrink wrap makes a good cover for labeling your wires. I use a label maker (cuz I can't read my own writing), but you can just print on a piece of paper and seal it onto the wire permanently. I like it better than numbering because I can never remember where wire #4 goes. Much easier to trace 'to switch on rt' than '4'.

I use an explicit ground wires, don't trust a 'chassis ground' (another thing learned the hard way).

Always use fuses! And size fuses to protect the wire.

Probably think of more stuff after I hit the 'Post Reply' button
-- Spiff

Okay, let me admit my ignorance and come clean, I've never used heat shrink tubing, just wrapping with tape and the liquid tape.

So, how do i use heat-shrink tubing?? Is their a heat gun for it? How do you do it without 110 or can I do it off my inverter. I need things to be pretty simple if possible. Does anyone have links or pictures?
Bob

Easy to use. It can be done and usually is done with a propane tank torch. Carefully. In the shop I use an electric heat gun. It is wonderful stuff. Can also be used as shoelace ends. Or rope binding. I fixed my glasses with it.

Little butane torch is great for on the go. Cost anywhere from $10 and up. Good for soldering & shrinking.
ybenutut.jpg

A good lighter will shrink tubing also BTW

The one thing I noticed missing here is that when using electrical tape, underlay and overwrap the starting point, and put a half hitch or two at the end point.

An electrician taught me that, and said that would guarantee no unravels due to age.

Re: Heat shrink

If you use an open flame instead of hot air, just be careful not to get TOO close.

Heat shrink is a plastic, and it will melt, will scorch, and will even burn if you put too much heat on it.

Just get some scraps of wire and some heat shrink and play with it. It's not hard.

Regards
John

BTW, poke around Amazon a bit looking for heat guns, and you'll find there are inexpensive little gadgets that use butane to make hot air instead of an open flame like the mini torch Bdog1 showed.

I have always used a Bic lighter. Keep the flame away from the wrap! Nice to know there are specific tools designed to do it.

SternWake said:
Good stuff so far.

One other thing to add to one's electrical tool box is liquid electrical tape. But one must also add patience, as more than one coat is needed as well as dry time in between coats.

Sometimes you can't wrap tape around wire, or get heat shrink over it, and the liquid E tape is key. Just clean the surrounding wire insulation and exposed copper with rubbing alcohol first to insure a good bond, and do not apply too thick, the first coat, or recoat too soon.

What's the lifespan of this stuff?

If I open a can and use some of it, and then close it up and throw it in my toolbox, how long will the stuff in that can still be usable?

If I try to use it two or three years later, will it still be good, or will I have to throw it away and buy a new can?

Regards
John

It depends on how much is left inside the container. If near full and a tightly closed cap. Itll last a good while. I got 2.5 years from my last jar. It was thicker than the newly opened jar. But still serviceable. Make sure to return cap quickly. The cap brush is not a very precise tool. At least on the brand I buy at home depot. They also have different colors

Just wanted to add that the Performix brand is the only Liquid tape I have personal experience with as to shelf life and performance/ application.

I do not know how much other brands vary.

I just use Rescue Tape. No adhesive to dry out, comes in many colors, stays forever. If you need to remove it, you can cut it off; otherwise it stays wherever it's put forever.

Latest posts