Electric Blanket Under the Carpet??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
Any body just put an electric blanket under the flooring? I was just playing with the idea, looks like it might work and be fairly low power use.

Corky

does a electric blanket put out enough heat to radiate though the floor? highdesertranger

I just tried putting a couple of the neoprene mats O use on my floors on top of my electric blanket, they got nice and warm in about 20 minutes. I'm still thinking on this. I had hydronic heating in one of my houses, loved it and it was very energy efficient. Might also look at using my flash water heater and piping water under the floor, I know people love the diesel units that do that.

I think the cost/easy of doing tradeoffs might be worth looking at.

Corky

I seriously doubt that an electric blanket would survive very long if you are walking on it.

As far as the product from Home Depot goes, notice that you are supposed to install it between the studs, not flat on a surface with a floor laying on top of it. Apparently not designed to handle direct weight on it.

Regards
John

I have one of those a customer didn't like. It is pretty stiff so it wont roll or bend for a wall. At 135w it isn't a instant heat by any means but once given time to heat up, it puts out considerable heat.

It's 135w and 1.2a at 120v, without losses that 12a at 12v. On a basic grp 24 hybrid deep cycle, that is 3 hours max.

corky52 said:
You could use inch board on either side.

Also found this, it is designed to be walked on.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...e=&network=g&gclid=CMyXss6GicMCFQNrfgod5kkA9Q

Corky

Ha!!...I've got onna those!!

They really don't get very hot, and I've got mine under my desk at my studio, and take my shoes off when resting my feet on it.

I really don't see this as working underneath any flooring, but you could get one or 2 of 'em and just leave them on the floor. It ain't gonna warm the place up at all, but your feet will be happy. :)

I did see a underlay product for heating a laminate floor. Direct under the laminate. 120 volt. Every electric blanket warns against covering the blanket do to danger of fire.