Eco throttle or normal mode?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
When charging house battery should I have the Honda eu2000i in eco mode or normal? 
Its going to be a 75 amp charger

There are times when the generator doesn't have to run wide open. If the generator senses a need for an increase in current, it will automatically jump out of Eco Mode. When the need for current decreases it will automatically go back into Eco Mode.

LoupGarou said:
There are times when the generator doesn't have to run wide open. If the generator senses a need for an increase in current, it will automatically jump out of Eco Mode. When the need for current decreases it will automatically go back into Eco Mode.

Except it is not fast enough for things like small air conditioners.   When I tried to run our 6000 BTU (About 500 watts) A/C in Eco mode, it would brown out when the compressor tried to come on and by the time the EU2000i had decided to jump out of Eco Mode the A/C had decided to quit trying to turn on the compressor.

The reason I ask is because I was under the impression that chargers use alot of power. 
Whenever I power something that uses alot of power I turn eco mode off.
Example
Microwave , toastern heater I turn ecomode off.

Power drill I leave eco mode on and then Honda just revs up a little every time I pull thee power drill trigger.

Battery charger ,,,,,, I don't know if to set it to ecomode or not.

In the beginning a battery charger can pull a lot of power. That just means the generator will slow down as soon as the battery charger starts getting the battery caught up.

what is the power requirement for the battery charger? that is what you need to know. highdesertranger

My 2000i runs on eco mode while using my 40 amp charger. I say try it on eco, it will kick up if it isn't enough.

The EU2000i owners manual recommends normal mode when charging batteries

Mobilesport said:
Battery charger ,,,,,, I don't know if to set it to ecomode or not.

Depends on who much amperage the batteries can pull from the charging source.  If you are using the adjustable powermax you could lower the voltage and crank it up after seeing how the generator responds.  Sounds like it would not be an instant overload and no choice of eco or non eco modes would have to be employed.

I've no personal experience running a generator at near max load.

SternWake said:
Depends on who much amperage the batteries can pull from the charging source.  If you are using the adjustable powermax you could lower the voltage and crank it up after seeing how the generator responds.  Sounds like it would not be an instant overload and no choice of eco or non eco modes would have to be employed.

I've no personal experience running a generator at near max load.

I'm going to try and get that Powermax going , right now it only stays at 14.8 volts for only 15 minutes and then drops to 13.6 volts .
I called Best convertors last week and talked to them about the same model that I have , I asked if that model is supposed to stay at the voltage I set it at , Randy said yes  so I'm very confused because mine don't work like that and they kept sending it back to me saying its working correctly .
I'm thinking about buying another one of that same model to try out , Randy says it will stay were I set it  , won't know for sure until I try it .
Also a guy named Erin said I could mod mine with a resister to prevent it from dropping down to 13.6 volts after 15 minutes , supposedly that mod is supposed to keep the voltage at the 14.8 volts that I set it at .
Erin said he was going to send me instructions on how to do the mod and then I never heard from him again. 
I'm going to request the info be sent again .
I think the Powermax usually would pull about 60 amps and then drop , I don't recall it ever being higher than that but its a 75 amp charger so maybe 75 amps tops.

Do you run that powermax with the casing removed?

If so, Since the PM's fan is exhausting, the casing is not acting as a shroud directing heat over those components requiring airflow and heat removal. The round thing with the copper coiled around it generates a lot of heat and is directly in the path of airflow, if the casing were still in place.

Perhaps the 15 minute thing is related to overheating.

Below the Meanwell rsp-500-15, are those fans blowing up or down?

On another forum a poster claimed they got a warranty replacement from Errin and the new unit was performing well.
It would be great if they would get their act together both in what they deliver and how they respond to customer complaints.

SternWake said:
Do you run that powermax with the casing removed?

If so, Since the PM's  fan is exhausting, the casing is not acting as a shroud directing heat over those components requiring airflow and heat removal.  The round thing with the copper coiled around it generates a lot of heat and is directly in the path of airflow, if the casing were still in place.

Perhaps the 15 minute thing is related to overheating.

Below the Meanwell rsp-500-15, are those fans blowing up or down?

On another forum a poster claimed they got a warranty replacement from Errin and the new unit was performing well.
It would be great if they would get their act together both in what they deliver and how they respond to customer complaints.

No , the case was always on ,  the voltage drops to 13.6 volts after 15 minutes when the case is on , it has always dropped to 13.6 volt since I first got it. 
I removed it now so I could tinker with it since it doesn't work right.
Them fans on the meanwell are blowing up , I'm going to modify my L brackets and build a tube or something to blow air into and out of the Meanwell , these fans in the picture are just temporary out of desperate quick fix , not so good of a fix but at the time I thought it was better than nothing. 
I haven't been using the Meanwell much and when I did the batteries were already at about 35 amps and dropping so it felt cool to the touch @ 14.8 volts

Ahh. I hope you can get it sorted with Errin and Randy. Let them know you will be testing amperage and your depleted batteries will easily accept that much..

how many Fuses does yours have?

The 100 amper my buddy ordered, that came with a 100 amp sticker, came with 3 40 amp fuses, and maxed out at 75 amps.

Randy told me my 2 depleted AGMS batteries could not accept more than 75 amps. I was not the only one whom he told just to accept less amperage than ordered.

Pffffffft. My single smaller AGM battery can take 65 amps for nearly 30 minutes before voltage raises to 14.7v and amps taper. To say that 105% more capacity of the same brand AGm depleted to 50% couldn't accept 100 amps was extremely insulting.

When the 100 Amper finally arrived it was longer, had 4 40 amp fuses, and delivered 92 amps.

But input AC voltage might have been the cause of 92 vs 100.

I have a temp sensor inside my meanwell rsp-500-15 on an internal heatsink. Seems the meanwell's loud small powerful 40mm fan comes on at 103.7f, and goes off at ~98f when amps begin tapering.

I do have a 60MM fan blowing into the casing directly over this heatsink, and an 80Mm exhausting. If I cover this 60mm fan with my hand the temperature skyrockets. My external additional heatsinks stay pretty close to the temp of the internal one.

Here is mine acting as a portable charger, top charging my friend's two group 31 Northstars which he unwisely bought before requiring them. Usually it is on my electric cabinet door. Removing it is 4 screws.

I have a watt meter on each output going through 10 awg extension cords going to alligator clamps via 45 amp anderson powerpole connectors. One watt meter is hardwired to DC outputs, the other is my portable one.

I took the housing for a LED dimmer to install my 10 turn voltage adjusting potentiometer and voltmeter. The obscenely bright green voltmeter is redundant as I have voltmeters on the wattmeter, but is easier to see. That green voltmeter used to be on my dashboard, and got replaced with a red one which matches my other dashboard lighting. i use 2 layers of 35% window tint to tame it down. The green one required 3 layers.

SternWake said:
Ahh.  I hope you can get it sorted with Errin and Randy.  Let them know you will be testing amperage and your depleted batteries will easily accept that much..

how many Fuses does yours have?

The 100 amper my buddy ordered, that came with a 100 amp sticker, came with 3 40 amp fuses, and maxed out at 75 amps.

Randy told me my 2 depleted AGMS batteries could not accept more than 75 amps. I was not the only one whom he told just to accept less amperage than ordered.

Pffffffft.  My single smaller AGM battery can take 65 amps for nearly 30 minutes before voltage raises to 14.7v and amps taper. To say that 105% more capacity of the same brand AGm depleted to 50% couldn't accept 100 amps was extremely insulting.

When the 100 Amper finally arrived it was longer, had 4 40 amp fuses, and delivered 92 amps.

But input AC voltage might have been the cause of 92 vs 100.

Mine has two 40 amp fuses and if I remember correctly it maxed out at 60 amps.
If I can get a Powermax that will stay at 14.8 volts I will be very happy .
The Meanwell 500 seems to be working good , I plan to use it as a back up in case my
More powerful powermax gives me problems because at this point I don't trust it , it may konk out in the middle of winter and the Meanwell seems reliable as long as I keep it cool , I plan to make some sort of box or vents to let cold winter air circulate the meanwell but at the same time keep moisture out , I only need to use a battery charger during the winter because my furnace runs my batteries down , the rest of the year its
Just mainly alternator charging and hit it now an then with the high amp charger.