Eco flow river

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott3569

Reaction score
Ok so, as my build has progressed, I am getting to the point that I need to start seriously considering my power options.. I have ran Battery cables (not hooked up) from my battery to a compartment.. and eventually I will get a battery.. and the things I need for that..

However, I am also considering this.. I am thinking that this will run what I need to to run, at least for now.. 
My brother has a Solar panel he just bought, well he bough two it is a 160w panel.. 
But he is saying he doesn't think he needs 2.. 

Soooo
160 Solar panel + ecoflow 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1TYFFP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AQ1V7B3LZ6YFO&psc=1

Seems like it would be more than enough for 

8 ft usb LED lights + my cell+ periodically charging Ryobi batteries + the fridge below.. I am thinking it would be enough 

(may not buy the fridge right away, that maybe something I need off hold of on)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R1LH8D/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=&psc=1

When I do get a house battery, I am thinking I may be able to charge that with the same solar panel.. it will probably be only a 100w AGM 

Does anyone see any issues with this?

Any reviews on the ecoflow?

Several days of cloudy weather and no driving will run things down.

The Eco Flow can be carried in somewhere to charge.

The AGM would need to be charged with shore power or a generator.

Last year I had the same fridge and similar power needs and had two 100ah batteries and 180 watts of panels.

It was OK except for a 4 day stretch when it rained and rained. I could have run the generator but didn't want to in the rain.

So the weather patterns where you will be going and how much driving you do will be factors.

yeah I hear you, I would not get the AGM until I had Solar power, then I will also have a Dc-Dc charger.. I am just thinking about the Eco flow to get me going until I get everything else..

PS: How you mount your panel will make a difference.

Flat on the roof; not so good. Able to tilt; better.

My van has a 100w on the roof and an 80w portable that I (mostly) kept tilted toward the sun.

Those power stations seem like a pretty good option to get started on and are pretty versatile. I have no experience with any of them though. I would just shop around for one that seems to be reliable and/or has a good warranty.

yeah I have been looking at them for a while now trying to decide the direction I am going to go, while I build..

the eco flow gets pretty good reviews and I know a couple people here have them.. right now, the one I am looking at I can get for $300..Normally $350 which is a pretty good deal..

I am actually considering mounting a solar panel onto a roof top Carrier.. right now it is only a thought

Don't get an AGM for that scenario.  You will destroy it pretty quickly unless you can charge it fully every cycle.  As has already been said, unless you are driving daily or have shore power or a generator to charge the battery to full then you are going to short cycle the battery because that solar panel system will not reliably top it off every day.

I am certainly not going to pay $1000 for a house battery, I know it has been told to me many times and AGM must be fully charged.. Lifepo batteries are fairly new.. so what did people do before lifepo???

the answer is they had deep cycle batteries so don't tell me not to get an AGM I have a budget just like many others here.

How about giving me a solution to my situation that is not going to cost me an arm and a leg..

That ecoflow is not worth shit. Storage batteries are rated by Amp Hours, not watt hours. That battery is maybe 24 amp hours. So small as to be worthless.

I haven't read the whole thread yet. But the alpicool C20 fridge I would recommend at least 400 watt hours in the budget for as a fridge. More as a freezer.

I dont know why watt hour measurement is a bad thing. It's really far easier a concept when dealing with 24v 36v and 48v battery banks

Easier than my method anyway. I round down.

XERTYX said:
I haven't read the whole thread yet. But the alpicool C20 fridge I would recommend at least 400 watt hours in the budget for as a fridge. More as a freezer...
wow 400wh for the C20?? Perday? at first I was considering using the c20 as a fridge, But then I had the idea about maybe getting a smaller one, and use it sole as a freezer, mainly to freeze block ice for a small cooler.. since block ice keeps much longer that cubed.. But I am not sure I want to mess around with all that, especially in my limited space.. 

I am also getting pretty frustrated, trying to ask about how I can have power within my buddget.. the answers I receive are always all over the place.. I want a set up that I can have the ability to expand if needed later on down the road, but I also want it to be enough for some basics to start with..  

It seem to me like that should be a pretty darn simple thing to do..

Scott3569 said:
I am also getting pretty frustrated, trying to ask about how I can have power within my buddget.. the answers I receive are always all over the place.. I want a set up that I can have the ability to expand if needed later on down the road, but I also want it to be enough for some basics to start with..  

Expanding a system is straight-forward. Just add batteries and panels, and possibly you will need a newer charge controller.

Maybe I missed your list of ALL the items you want to run and your specific estimate of how much power each item will use in a day? If you did post it, I apologize. If you didn't post it, that might be why the answers you are getting are "all over the place"...

Scott3569 said:

Scott, I get emails and comments from hundreds of people just like you so you are not alone.  My Youtube channel has a ton of videos specifically for you and others who want to do things right but don't have a ton of money.  Because that used to be me (the money part is still true, haha!).

Here are two videos that might help you.  They cover how to scale a solar panel system that will start small and grow big later and how to cut some corners along the way and save some money without sacrificing performance:

If you don't want to watch any videos, my only advice would be to stay away from kits even though it is tempting.  You will end up replacing every component of the kit along the way as you learn more and also the components tend to be cheap and short lived in most kits.

Figuring out your system is easy,

1. figure your daily usage.
2. size your battery according to #1
3. size your solar according to #2

If your worried about expansion use an oversize controller and larger gauge wires.

Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Highdesertranger

@jacqueg
It is doubtful you missed anything.. the fact is I do not have the specific usage.. a few people have tried to explain how to figure it out.. and honestly this is one area that I have very little knowledge of.. I know what I have at the moment.. I know what I will begetting in the future. But I am clueless as to know how much power I will need to run the things I am looking at and currently have..
and I have listed the things that I have currently, and things that I plan on having some time in the future..

@ldsreliance
thank you for the videos, and yes I will watch them, that is who I have learn a lot of what I know now..
-I totally get that these lifepo4 batteries are the thing to have, But budget wise, there is absolutely no way I can do it..
- I am also limited on space at the moment with the type of vehicle I have.. I understand the lifepo4 batteries can help me reduce weight for the same power storage compared to Led batteries.. Still the cost is simple out of my reach.. which is why I am looking at 1 or 2 100 AH deep cycle batteries..
- But to start out with, I have considered buying a smaller 300wh solar generator.. this included with the solar panel that I can get(aprox. 170w solar panel) I am thinking should be efficient enough to get me going.. I could then add a dc-dc charger been looking at the (30a dual input from Renogy) and I could then add a 100Ah deep cycle battery. and that may be all I need.. But I can not Start out with this complete system, my budget simply will not allow it.

-Also, I am not a believe in kits either, anything you buy in a kit it is almost always cheaper less quality components. so I would never look into a kit.. Especially since I want to start out with my basic minimal needs and expand later on down the road.

@highdesertranger
Yes, you have mentioned this a couple of times to me, and I am sure you have said the same thing to several others.. and I have learned some bits and pieces, But I must have some sort of mental block with electrical power, because it all seem to be like reading Chinese to me.

I appreciate and respect everyone's input..

Scott lets try to make this as easy as possible. Make a list of everything you plan to use that uses power. Post the list here. We will start there.

Highdesertranger

Hey Scott, about an hour ago I looked at my charge controllers daily charge. The only load running was my fridge (I did have a tablet plugged in but it was fully charged and OFF so negligible)

260 watt hours today and batteries in "float" (fully charged)

So since the sun went down yesterday my system has generated 260 watt hours. Also it was running the fridge during the day as it cycles)

So probably about 220 watt hours used overnight and the rest just today's daytime usage for a total of 260wh. That's pretty typical for me.

Some days when its HOT AF I turn on my USB fan to help circulate air in the van. 5 watts. (120 wh daily roughly) the day after a hot day like that I generally put about 360-410 watt hours back into the battery.

Sometimes only 290-310. Sometimes 400. Granted some of that power generated is the fridge running off of the panels during the day.

So yes, I would recommend 400 watt hours in the budget for fridge. Better than having to throw out 50 bucks worth of food.

Here is a breakdown of my cost.

2 100 watt rich solar panels ~$155 (sold as a 2 pack)
Epever 20a MPPT charge controller ~$80
Group 27 walmart deep cycle battery ~$80+$12 core charge call it 100 bucks
Alpicool fridge ~$200 sometimes $179

I did things a lil different because I hate MC4 cables. So factor in some good COPPER 10 gauge wire, solder, ring terminal connectors, basic tools, lumber as I built my own mount.

So for around $400 or so you can build the same thing that works for me. Around $600 with the fridge.

This works for me. It's not what I'll end up with. This is my starter system. Its more than enough for some people.

Dont let this stuff get under your skin. Its aggravating, but anyone can do it. As far as budgeting out from a small solar generator.... i just see that ending with you being disappointed and having spoiled food. Maybe not. Or start with a solar generator and panels. Then buy a charge controller. Then a battery. Then take the generator out of the equation and charge it up from the new system to use as a portable power station.

Scott3569 said:
@ldsreliance
thank you for the videos, and yes I will watch them, that is who I have learn a lot of what I know now..
-I totally get that these lifepo4 batteries are the thing to have,  But budget wise, there is absolutely no way I can do it..
- I am also limited on space at the moment with the type of vehicle I have.. I understand the lifepo4 batteries can help me reduce weight for the same power storage compared to Led batteries.. Still the cost is simple out of my reach.. which is why I am looking at 1 or 2 100 AH deep cycle batteries..
- But to start out with, I have considered buying a smaller 300wh solar generator.. this included with the solar panel that I can get(aprox. 170w solar panel) I am thinking should be efficient enough to get me going.. I could then add a dc-dc charger been looking at the (30a dual input from Renogy) and I could then add a 100Ah deep cycle battery. and that may be all I need.. But I can not Start out with this complete system, my budget simply will not allow it.

Nothing wrong with lead acid batteries.  They can still be very economical in terms of $$ per cycle.  You just have to know how to design a system around them.

I would stay away from those cheap, small portable power stations.  The reasons are you can never scale up from there as they are a closed system and they have severe limitations in terms of surge capabilities.  For example, if you want to run a small refrigerator with a compressor or some other inductive load with a high transient surge then those 300-400W portable power stations don't stand a chance.  Heck, my Bluetti EB150 that cost $1200 (at the time) and is supposed to be able to handle 1000W peak can't start a small window unit air conditioner.

If all you ever want to do is run some lights and fans and recharge a laptop and mobile phones then go for it.  But if you want to run anything bigger than that, I would piece together a solar panel system with individual components for your needs.  Give us a budget and we can help.