Eberspaecher D5 Hydronic Capability

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrh

Reaction score
I am looking at installing an Eberspaecher D5 hydronic (5kW) unit but am wondering, from a real-world perspective, what it is capable of.  I am looking for it to run through the following:

• 3 x 2 KW matrices
  • 1 x 500 W towel rail
  • 1 x 20 litre calorifier
  • 25 m of underfloor water heating tube (approx 650W)

Will the D5 be able to cope with the above requirement when all are in use?  Is it as simple as comparing the output of the D5 with the output of the consumers?  If so the D5 will not be powerful enough...

I am aware that you need to run these diesel heaters a sufficient time to avoid soot build-up but in summer but I will not be needing the matrices to be running.  Any issues there?  What is the minimum (in addition to the calorifier) that I will need to keep running?

Another question:  is the pump in the D5 capable of pumping this much volume of fluid around the above system including the wall mounted towel rail or is an additional, external pump required?

Hoping for your experience of this unit to see what is possible.

I have no idea what you are talking about. remember I am the stupid moderator. can you kind of dumb it down a little.

a link for the "Eberspaecher D5 hydronic (5kW)" would help and what are these,

•3 x 2 KW matrices

•1 x 500 W towel rail

•1 x 20 litre calorifier

highdesertranger

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid but this seems like bait.

A 500 watt towel heater? In the summer? In a vehicle?

Yeah right.

You guys are too funny.  I'll take YOUR bait anyway...

A hydronic heater for my purpose heats fluid (water plus anti-freeze) and pumps it around a closed loop.  A matrix is effectively a radiator with a fan.  The hot water runs through the matrix which has a large surface area.  An electric powered fan blows air across the matrix vanes which picks up the heat and pushes the heated air into the area where you want to heat.

A calorifier is a heat exchanger for water.

A 500 W towel rail refers to the effective heat output (or heat loss of the heated water running through it).  It is not always summer where I live and this would have a secondary effect of reducing the heated water temperature so it does not affect the vinyl floor covering.  Yes a luxury but the good lady does like to be pampered.

Here is a link to the Hydronic heater:

Eberspaecher Hydronic D5

Perhaps this forum is a bit too survivalist/doomsday-prepperist for this question.  Nothing subversive with my thread so no need for moderation.  Those that have input will comment (not hopeful) and then this thread will (very quickly) die a death.

Bait on a forum often contains sensible information, but then asks an odd question or two.

I think most of us know what hydronic heating is: it's been talked about on this forum many times. The concept is one thing, but execution of it is often another thing. It's kind've like the 'holy grail' of van or RV heating, and usually reserved for more expensive layouts, often in upper range coaches. 

What threw me was the heated towel rail in the summer...that DOES seem a bit luxurious to me when taken in context of this forum.

But, I apologize if you were sincere and I will let others contribute.

I like this setup. Radiant floor heat would be great on those cold mornings. It looks like your limiting factor may be the water throughput of 0.1 bar. This will be influenced by the restrictions in the system, ie. pipe size and elbows, bends, etc. IIWM, I would plan for booster pumps for each system but not install them until which time they may be needed.

My advice is to try Expidition Portals web site forums or possibly a web site for yacht/boating. Very seldom do these systems get installed unless there is already a diesel fuel system being utilized. Even running a pump or ignition system is sort of a power drain never the less converting heat from one medium to another very efficient. Although newer units are quieter the old burners were a little loud I have been told. I was convinced by others to use air heating systems rather than fluid so I have no first hand experience and this was years ago so hopefully systems have been much improved and become more reliable. Maybe when the Chinese clone them cheap enough we will see one here! LOL!!! Good luck , hope you find the info you need and it works well for you. Let us know if it does! There was a DIY system that is being developed by a small conversion van company with a YouTube video that used potable water recycled from gray water and floor heating but that was over a year ago and probably went bust. Using the air system I once got the fire department called when it got out of adjustment because someone thought my van was on fire!

We just had the big debate oh diesel heaters & yes Eberspaecher is made in china. I hought a chinese 5kw air system for mine & the main thing you want to do if you run it on low is turn it to high for about 5 minutes before shutdown to keep it clean.

the eberspaecher might be made in china but that does not mean it is the same quality as the $100 knock offs flooding out of china. there is also a significant difference between the air heater and the hydronic system the op is talking about.

and to the original poster, i know enough about what you are talking about to say it is way over the head of most folks here, including mine without looking up specs and contacting the manufacturer. i have only run into one person with a DIY system anywhere close to what you desrcibe. it was bad ass for sure, if i recal in laymans terms of course. his was in a dodge promaster van. he had seperate loops for the main area, the sleeping area, the water heater, and the battery box (lithium) his day job was in HVAC so he knew all those specs and numbers by heart. i dont think he is a member here. but he also built his own 12 volt DC air conditioner by driving an ac compressor from a 12v dc motor and built his own slide out using the drivers side sliding door as the template.

i would love to see your rig when you get it done, but i suspect you will get better and more accurate answers on a HVAC forum and then figure out how to apply that knowledge to your van/rv build. the guys on the HVAC forums will speak the language. just dont tell them you are putting it in a van... lol

While doing research on the 5kw air diesel heater I found a boating forum that is on facebook which I'm not on but they have formed a sub forum of 2700 members just to study these heaters, here are some comments. Thay did a poll where 10 to 1 approved & liked the chinese ones. I plan on a exhaust water heat exchanger to warm the coolant in the diesel engine. I have coolant to the rear for heat anyway so it should be easy.

Default Re: Chinese (5kw )air heater
Mine is still working perfectly . The eBay Chinese heater Facebook group started a poll a few days ago which showed a ratio of 10:1 in favor of satisfied users of the heater.
In the group there are pics of installations, test setups , and solutions to problems.
The truth of the matter is that at the price that they Chinese heaters are selling, I will not complain over a few niggles with it taking into account that a spare fan for my Eberspächer D4 plus can buy a couple of Chinese ones.
Ocqueteau 8.15,200hpNanni.
Buster Sun R,25 hp outboard

Default Re: Chinese (5kw )air heater
Excellent. gives folks chance to weigh up the actual pros and cons from users .
As per usual our colonial cousins appear to have got wise to these budget heaters many years before us.
As regards quality and reliability , suspect many boaters have aboard their vessel invertors/ voltage droppers/ split diode devices/ chargers and a multitude of dubious electronic items that the importer has held their nose when worrying about safety compliance certificates.
It would help if a decent photocopier was used and the signature did not resemble M. Mouse.
As for the magic letters CE on the paperwork.