CoolMyCamper A/C unit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
I found this the other day.  It is made by a company in Europe.  But it looks awesome.  Anybody care to tell me what I would need to do to make it work for my Chevy Express?  I have a dog to keep cool in the summer when I am at work.  I have some alternative ideas to A/C like dog day care but that can get expensive not to mention time consuming to drop her off everyday before work.  What we do for our four legged children!  If I can figure out a way to keep her cool in the van, that is the way I would like to go ideally.  

I like this because I don't have to cut holes in my van.  I have the access package so I have windows that lift up. :)   I also like that it is easy to remove and install.  It is not permanent.  The only barrier is that it works only on 220-240v main supply:

"Cool My Camper portable air conditioning units run on a 220-240v mains supply. The unit only uses 350 watts when cooling, that’s only 1.52 Amps on 230 volts. This compares favorably with large roof mounted units that can consume 1500 watts with a current draw of 6.5 amps"

Here is the website:  www.coolmycamper.com/

Here are pictures of it installed on a camper.  

coolmycamper.jpg

coolmycamper2.jpg

Will this work on a 12 volt system? Can I run this on a solar panel? Will this work on an inverter?
All units require 230v mains electrical supply. Customers can of course use an inverter to utilize power from batteries and solar panels to provide the 230v required. Be sure to size the inverter and batteries to suit your needs. We recommend the use of a pure sine inverter as they are kinder to electronic components. 

So can it run efficiently on solar?  I don't think I understood the answer.

Will the unit work on European voltage? Can the unit work on 110v?
In 1994, to remove a perceived barrier to trade between European countries, the European Commission (EC) decided to ‘harmonies’ the standard UK mains voltage of 240V and the European standard of 220V at 230V. All units will operate on UK and EU power supplies. The equipment cannot be used on 110v – a step-up transformer would be required.

What is the power required 220v or 12v or both?
As above the unit will work on 230v AC – this means it is safe to operate on 220v and 240v. Customers can of course use an inverter to utilize power from batteries and solar panels to provide the 230v required. Be sure to size the inverter and batteries to suit your needs. We recommend the use of a pure sine inverter as they are kinder to electronic components.

How many amps does it draw? What is the peak and start-up power?
This unit will operate all day on a 3, 5 or 6 amp electrical hook-up without tripping a MCB. There are five electrical components in the system: Compressor, Condenser Fan, Evaporator Fan, Condensate Pump and the Control Panel. When running the units will draw 1.53 amps. Users need not worry about tripping MCBs when the unit is first switched on as the intelligent system soft-starts the electrical motors and thus keeps start-up (or inrush current) under 3 amps for less than a second.

You all have thoughts on this?  You are all so good at giving them and I do appreciate it greatly! :)

Keightley

Attachments

• coolmycamper.jpg
    coolmycamper.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 10
  • coolmycamper2.jpg
    coolmycamper2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 9
BTW... I am not too worried if they don't ship to the US. I just found a service that will. It is called myUKmailbox.

Need a big Euro output inverter, likely pure sine, expensive, good one over a grand.

If something breaks your pet may die.

That's really cool!  
If I were staying in a campground with utilities, it would be quite doable.  I was thinking down the road, when I got my cargo trailer home, that I would install a split unit on the trailer tongue (I've seen that a few places).  But this would work in a van. Especially if I was stuck in the heat with a pet. 
Ted

You can run anything off solar....

350w @ 12v = 30A x 8hrs = 240A

so 5-7 batteries and 5-7 100w+ panels should do the trick. Or one $250 generator.

Of course you're likely going to need at least two of them for just under 5k btu so 10-14 batteries and 10-14 100w+ panels. Or one $250 generator.

BUT 2,400btu @ 350w = 6.8 EER....one of the least efficient AC's I've ever seen

Many setups would not benefit from the 6-800lbs of batteries.

I have seen this microsplit. It is not very efficient but it would be easier to deal with than my window A/C. Adding the 220v inverter would not be that bad but add it to the expense of the mini split and it is expensive.

$629.00
That'll buy a lot of iced tea, Long Island iced tea.