Duracell Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alt isn't really "free" power but IMO worth setting up to work right for your bank, since starters really don't need 1% what's available.

Only real issue is voltage, must match the bank's requirements.

A field current powerdown switch is a good idea for when you need all available power for propulsion.

Not needed for when the banks are full, that's taken care of automatically by the regulator.

John61CT said:
Wow, how much space does that take?

The 315w LG mono x panels are pretty efficient so the array is about 118 inches long x 66 inches wide.  The long axis of the panels is actually about 64.6 inches, both sides of the array are flanked with 1.25 inch square tubing. 

Since the cargo trailer is a 6x10 foot box the array covers the roof well.

MazdaGuy15 said:
945w to charge a 300ah battery sounds like even more overkill than me.  haha  
I'm looking at 1 250w 24v at the moment instead of 4 100w 12v panels.  I could fit a second 250w on the roof later if I need it but its starting to look like I won't.  I'm still up in the air if I should hook it up to the vans alternator I've hear that its not really ideal for the alternator or the batteries.  I will probably hook it up but have a switch to have it off most of the time and only use it if the batteries get really low.

I would go with a pair of the 250 watt panels, or bigger, and 4 golf carts in 2s2p.  In even then, since you will have just over 1 solar watt per bank amp hour, in poor solar conditions you will be running your engine, and driving to keep from frying your alternator, a lot to bring your bank up thru bulk charging soon enough that the solar has a chance to finish the job.  Does not sound like fun.

A 1 to 1 solar to Ah ratio is great if everyday is sunshine and lollipops. That's one where your system puts out more than you use and is able to bring up the bank daily. 2 to 1 isn't overkill if you plan for the worst case scenario. Winter brings shorter days, lower sun, cloudy conditions, all at a time when you are likely using more power than usual for lighting, heat and entertainment. Once your system starts falling behind it may take days of sunshine to get it caught up except you are still using the power. That keeps it behind and the longer it is behind, the worse off your bank will be.

Right now my 1185w array that will peak at 80 amps on a nice long summer day is putting out 25 amps on a short, cloudy winters day. The system will keep up with my basic needs but only because I built it for these conditions, not sunshine and lollipops.

jimindenver said:
A 1 to 1 solar to Ah ratio is great if everyday is sunshine and lollipops. That's one where your system puts out more than you use and is able to bring up the bank daily. 2 to 1 isn't overkill if you plan for the worst case scenario. Winter brings shorter days, lower sun, cloudy conditions, all at a time when you are likely using more power than usual for lighting, heat and entertainment. Once your system starts falling behind it may take days of sunshine to get it caught up except you are still using the power. That keeps it behind and the longer it is behind, the worse off your bank will be.

Right now my 1185w array that will peak at 80 amps on a nice long summer day is putting out 25 amps on a short, cloudy winters day. The system will keep up with my basic needs but only because I built it for these conditions, not sunshine and lollipops.

I'll testify to it NOT being overkill.  I've parked beside Jim , and his solar power system  perhaps does more than some people may be willing to pay for.  But, if you want to not have to use gas or a generator, more solar power equals less carbon emissions.  And it's my observation that  that is why some or even many of us use it.  

that's a big part of why I do.  And I'm just getting started , with the help of Jim and Chico.  

Thanks,

Pat

Sunshine and lollipops! I like that so much that I'll put it in my repertoire of pithy phrases.

Question:
I know that scenarios are all widely different,but...I have 380 watts solar (280 on roof, 100 portable) and 400 ah batteries. With a 130 amp alternator (knowing I'll never get close to producing that much), if my batteries are pretty much depleted, say down to 12 or 12.1 volts while running the fridge in the morning, with WAG guidelines, how much driving would it take to bring my batteries back to the point where decent sunshine and lollipops could roughly finish a charge? Hubby and I like to go out to breakfast and usually, it's a bit of a drive for us because we tend to be somewhat "out there".

I have another quick question. How many amps does an alternator put out while idling? Say, if one is not worrying about heat stress on the alternator? I'm just curious if the number should be in the single digits, or if in the double digits, low or high?
Thanks,
Ted

Two hour drive should get the bulk of it done, just get back in the AM, really need a full days sun get to 100%.

Alts each have their own power curve RPM to Amps output, newer ones are steeper.

Special custom jobs for ambulance etc designed for very HO at fast idle.

Can mess with pulley ratios too.

Good auto electrician can help with all this, get a good external regulator too, Balmar MC-614 is tops.

But charging by idling is $$ wear and tear, better run a small gennie.

If you're driving anyway just costs a little mor gas.

How many amps an alternator return into a depleted battery at Idle is Extremely variable depending on the vehicle, its alternator, its manner of voltage regulation, the battery, and the wiring path between alternator and the depleted batteries.

It is not a simple manner to convert an alternator with internal regulation to one with external regulation so that one can employ a voltage regulator that was designed with depleted battery charging in mind.
  An internally regulated alternator might really drop back the voltage once it gets hot and with less electrical pressure, less amps flow.  

My alternator is rated at 50amps idle and 120 amps maximum, and it holds true to this except when it gets to 180F+ then max amps at hot idle drop to about 42 and keep going down with more temperature. 

But with a ~25% depleted battery(75% state of charge), if the voltage regulator is asking for 14.7v my single 90AH AGM battery  more than half way through its cycle life, will take  29 amps, If I lower voltage to 13.7, the battery only wants 9 amps.  If the battery were newer and healthier these numbers would be higher

So even though my alternator at hot idle speed is capable of 50 amps, total, including that which is required to run the engine(8.2 amps at 550 rpm, 12.2 amps at 2000rpm, on my 89 dodge b250), only so much overhead exists at idle.  Lights(~17 amps) and blower motor on high(~19 amps) and stereo at high volume(~8 amps) and my alternator cannot keep up at idle, and my battery provides the juice that the alternator cannot and voltage drops into the 12's and keeps dropping as long as I keep idling.

Bumping rpms tro 800 and I can het 68 amps from my alternator.  My previous alternator I reduced the alternator pulley diameter about 12% so it would spin faster, and the total output increase was marginal, and  not worth the price of the pulley, or the effort of installing it. 

I'd suspect your 130 amp alternator is similar, capable of about 50 amps at idle,  I have no Idea how much your engine's ignition and fuel pump and other electrical consumers require.  Nor can I guess how long your voltage regulator will allow voltages in the mid 14s, especially at max output, and also unknown is the thickness of the charging path from alternator to batteries and all the resistance in that circuit, and the ground path.

But this ~50 amps is a best case scenario, if your voltage regulator was asking for mid 14 volts, and it wont, not for long, and it is no easy manner to simply convert to a better voltage regulator, especially on a modern computer controlled vehicle, and it is not something the average automotive electrician will know how to do either, not that they would ever admit it, nor would most understand why one would want to do so, as most have no idea what a battery really requires, other than more than 13 volts.

I would not idle to recharge unless I could have a temperature sensor on the alternator and stop( or start moving at 40mph +) when it got to 200F.  How long this will take is, Again, Highly variable depending on all the other variables I listed earlier.

You can answer the question yourself, with a clamp on Ammeter, but note the voltage at the time, and check again not just after starting engine, but again after a drive when the batteries were depleted.

Very few do this, most will believe their alternator accomplishes more than it actually does.  But ignorance is bliss, unless blissful ignorance is spouted as gospel, and causes others believe it.

Watching battery voltage and an Ammeter as one drives is very enlightening, and usually a bit disheartening.

about 10 days ago my 140 amp circuit breaker on my alternator to battery circuit tripped after less than 5 minutes of 75 to 95 amps.  When my engine started making some heat, and i cranked blower motor to high, my ammeter indicated over 100 amps, and a few seconds later read 0.00amps and battery voltage dropped to 12.0, as the breaker tripped passing somewhere around 110 amps.

Achieving the full rated output of the alternator is certainly possible, it is just highly unlikely in most vehicles.

Latest posts