dry milk anyone use it??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
I put milk in my coffee and when I run out of milk it's just dissapointing. I have been known to ask perfect strangers for milk. I sound like an addict, and you may be asking yourself wtf is this guy's problem, LOL. It's the little thing.

I can't take it straight as in drinking a big glass of the mix, it doesn't taste the same. Cooking with it I am fine with and keep the Carnation individual packets for when I'm out of the real stuff.

wagoneer said:
I put milk in my coffee and when I run out of milk it's just dissapointing. I have been known to ask perfect strangers for milk. I sound like an addict, and you may be asking yourself wtf is this guy's problem, LOL. It's the little thing.

I had a special coffee that I carried with me everywhere and still drank when the temps were in triple digits so I can appreciate your *habit.*  When they stopped making my coffee well, withdrawals would be accurate. :(

Good to see Bob's has a dry milk.  I used to keep Sanalac dry milk around for baking and milk emergencies because it was the closest to milk that I found.  Not sure what brand I've got now since I wasn't able to find the Sanalac, but it's just not as good. I also use dry milk as my creamer since I don't use enough milk to warrant buying real milk or creamer.

Have you tried the Bob's yet or are you asking about it?  If you've tried it, how is it?

There's a wonderful dry whole milk from New Zealand called Peak. Makes a much better creamer for coffee than the nonfat stuff. Available through Amazon.

Some people like Nestle Nido, unfortunately Nestle is a brand I boycott. Peak costs more to purchase and does not use anti-environmental or anti-humane practices I don't care to support. There's always a trade-off.

Tell me what you think when you try it.

Good to see Bob's has a dry milk. I used to keep Sanalac dry milk around for baking and milk emergencies because it was the closest to milk that I found. Not sure what brand I've got now since I wasn't able to find the Sanalac, but it's just not as good. I also use dry milk as my creamer since I don't use enough milk to warrant buying real milk or creamer.

Yes I have never just poured me a tall glass-o-milk, it just seems discusting to me, Have not tried it just paid 10 bucks 1/2 cup makes a quart. figure I would half that and shake it in a small jar just for coffee I will report on my results, headed off to Nevada Thursday for a couple weeks at the Spring, be safe.

yes yes yes and yes.
Regular milk gets used so little it is always gone bad before it's used up.
If you let it sit in the fridge for an overnight the taste is better.
Cooking with it is fine.
Some brands do taste better.

I grew up on powdered milk. I considered it a horrible thing to do to water.

MrNoodly said:
I grew up on powdered milk. I considered it a horrible thing to do to water.

My parents tried everything including mixing it with regular milk. They would also get milk on sale and freeze it. That never tasted right either.

wagoneer said:
Not being a cornysewer of milk you gotta take my evaluation with a grain of salt.

LOL...will bear that in mind. Just wanted to add that I've always used the powdered milk in coffee like powdered creamer---skipping the mix and refrigerate step. For me it makes it easier to tweak the amount to get it where I want it. I do it the same way in baking, just adding some water to the mix to make up the liquid portion of milk.

Powdered milk reminds me of my prefridge van dwelling years, where I'd just tap the powder into my steaming coffee

I carry some non dairy creamer for when I don't have milk for my coffee. The sugary factor of NDC is sometimes appreciated.

Always keep it on hand for emergencies, as well as evaporated milk. I have the same problem with milk going bad before using it. My older kids developed lactose issues and I had to switch to lactose free milk. It lasts so much longer than I don't have the spoilage issues any more.

Just pinch your nose shut and keep repeating "It's good for me"

Just like instant mashed potatoes ,,,,it's gotten better lately.

the key to making powdered milk ok is to use boiling water to mix it then refridge it to very cold

I will have to try powdered again. I use powdered creamer for coffee and canned milk for cooking. highdesertranger

My issues with powered milk are the works "skim" and "low fat"..... it tastes like milk flavored water.....might as well just go for water. But after the kids were out of the house, I found that even the smallest container went bad before I used it all. But alas Oatmeal just doesn't work without milk.... till I discovered Nido, which is powdered WHOLE MILK.... The first time I used it I put too much and it tasted like I had added cream.

The internet is our friend. Turns out Sanalac does still exist. Guess I've got more research to do. Allergies and trying to vote smartly with my dollars make it harder and harder to find some things.

Wagoneer, when you report please be specific about what it is you like or don't like about the BRM powdered milk please, and thank you. :)

Like others said, it's okay for cooking, not so great for drinking. Also, when you buy it, check the exp. date, and then put it straight into the refrigerator. I put mine into a quart mason jar first.

I have purchased Bob's Red Mill Dry Milk for a few years BUT I do not drink it. I use to bake/cook with and for smoothies. It is about twice as concentrated as the most of the store stuff, not crystals but powder. I think it takes 1/2 cup to make a quart where the others are 1 1/3 cups to make a quart? The good thing is that since it is a powder instead of crystals, it takes up less space when stored. NOTE: It does not dissolve easy in a liquid, you are not just going to stir it in.

I use powdered milk in my morning protein latte. I premix the powdered milk with protein powder and instant coffee. A gallon bag of this premixed stuff lasts me about a month when I have a mug a morning.

Latest posts