Dry Ice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides the few downers of dry ice, the biggest problem for boon-dockers is just plain finding it... Second best thing in the ice dept. is block ice, works great for me...

I read a blog post where a vandweller used dry ice as the cold source in his cooler... he used a piece of cardboard between the ice and the food/drinks... just an idea

The walmart here in Panama City Beach just started selling dry ice and I asked one of the managers about it and he said they are putting dry ice in all the stores in FL that sell large quantities if bag ice.

Seems to me it's becoming more available in recent years.&nbsp; I've used it on and off for 50 years, or so, and there was a time it became difficult to find.&nbsp; But I used to buy it in Grants, New Mexico, during the early 2000s, and for the past few years I've bought it in Junction, Texas, small town, and at the HEB in Kerrville, Texas.&nbsp; Price at the moment runs $1.60 per pound.&nbsp; Comes in 5# packages, but they allow you to break off however much you want and weigh it at the register.<br /><br />For me it's always worked as well as ice for any purpose, better than ice for frozen foods.&nbsp; A pound lasts as long as a bag of ice and unless you need the water from the melted ice, the dry ice eliminates a bit of water waste.

Hi, Most company's that deliver carbonic gas like whats used in most convenience stores&nbsp;and quick marts as the propel-ant for soda fountains also produce and distribute dry ice, Also you might call your local red cross or blood donation center as they also are&nbsp;big users as they use it to keep blood products cold when they do long distance shipping I'm sure they wont sell their stock but my meaning was that they could tell you a wholesaler "might as well skip the middle man when possible", Just some ideas as i have never used it myself but do use carbonic or co2 gas&nbsp;for welding.

I used dry ice recently in my rv when my gas line had leaked and while I was waiting to get it fixed. &nbsp;So basically I had no fridge for that time since I didn't want to run the generator the whole time and I wanted my batteries for other things. &nbsp;I used my large camping cooler and put a couple blocks of dry ice ($12 worth! -- I didn't realize how expensive it was until I was at the register), along with several gallon ziplock bags of regular ice. &nbsp;It was great for a long weekend. &nbsp;It was mostly gone Monday evening and everything stayed cold...actually you have to be careful that you don't put anything next to the ice that you don't want frozen! &nbsp;A couple of my iced teas were frozen but eh, who cares. &nbsp;It was great for my frozen dinners. &nbsp; I got the dry ice from King Supers which is the western version of Krogers back east. &nbsp;If I had to do it again, I'd get less dry ice though as it was quite expensive and I really didn't need as much as I got. &nbsp;(A little goes a long way to keeping things cold)

As for having dry ice in a small enclosed container, I used to work in a warehouse and we would put some in a gatorade bottle with a small amount of water, screw the cap on and throw it (foolish teenage years) and it would blow the bottle apart in about 10 seconds. Here is a youtube link to some ppl doing similar things and it does pack a pretty good punch.&nbsp; &lt;iframe width="420" height="315" src="<a href=""></a>" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;&nbsp; If it it with water and in a sealed container it could be dangerous. just an fyi for the inexperienced.