Drove into a dust storm...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
A few minutes ago I drove into a dust storm in West Texas. As soon as I drove into it, I suddenly became unable to accelerate over ~50MPH. Hmm... what about dust would kill my acceleration... better check the air filter.

Yep, time for a new air filter.

Bet this is also where that 1 MPG went that I've been looking for.

Attachments

• 20180110_162630.jpg
    20180110_162630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180110_163917.jpg
    20180110_163917.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Owwwwwwwwww
That looks like a new filter too !
Next one , bet you turn around ?

My last Dodge filter was full of mouse hair and bits of the orange plastic from the Fram filter.

Solved that by putting 1/4" screen over the air intake up front.

Well, the filter is pretty gummed up with oil. I think I have PCV valve issues. Going to replace that with the filter.

rvpopeye said:
Next one , bet you turn around ?

Better yet, just pull over, shut off the engine so you don't suck the dust in, and wait for it to pass.

I went through a Texas dust storm maybe four-five years ago. I had never seen one before and had no idea of the issues involved. I was on a tight schedule and motored through. It was like driving through blowing snow but it made noise. Getting out of it makes darn good sense. Next time, I'll park on the downwind side of a building and wait it out.
Outside Las Cruces on 10 there are signs saying what to do in case of a dust storm but its so vehicles don't crash into others.

Because of the droughts over the last several years, many places along I-10 have really dry dusty areas that turn into a near-haboob when it gets windy.

Be careful out there!