Drive at night, sleep during the day?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Art W wrote:

Both of these were purchased at discount stores.  "Big Lots"

The Aviator style was by "Turbo" which is printed on he side frame.

The wrap arounds were just on a sunglasses display and didn't have
anything but a price tag on them.  Generic I guess. 

I agree that they do take some getting used to the first time you wear them.

But if you are in very lite traffic late at night I think it is easier to get used to them.

I guess if you don't want to wear yellow glasses,  you could install some yellow driving lights.

eDJ_ said:
I guess if you don't want to wear yellow glasses,  you could install some yellow driving lights.

Yellow driving lights are not going to help with the lights of oncoming cars.

A few things I hate about driving at might.
Bugs, lots of bugs.
Deer and other animals. I hit an owl once. It was eating a chunk of roadkill and I never saw it till it was too late. Killed the bird :(  Shattered my headlight. Feathers everywhere.
Drunks are more likely to be out at the wee hours.
You cant see the road hazards. Pot holes and downed limbs etc. Stalled cars too.
Most service centers are closed. Even if I need a simple part, the majority of fix it stores are closed down.
My internal clock gets off.

Alligators . . . you can't seem them at night until you are right on them and then it's too late. They can do massive damage to your vehicle. More prevelant during the summer when the roads are hot.

Alligators= tireus retredium separatus; from the Latin

People overlanding in foreign countries all warn against trying to drive at night.  In Central and South America it's burros in the road, in Australia it's kangaroos.

Some problems with night driving. There's no scenery to look at, just what little you can see in your headlights. Except for a few 24 hour stores in populated areas, everything's closed, so there's nothing to do but keep on driving. You will get tired of poorly adjusted headlights blinding you and inconsiderate drivers blaring their highbeams in your eyes. Some places, the local cops lie in wait on the less traveled roads late at night and pull over drivers for suspected DUI if, for instance, your right wheels touch the white line when rounding a curve. As other people have pointed out, animals are a constant hazard in some areas of the country, though they are less of a concern along the well-traveled interstates.

Also, the signs banning overnight parking at Walmart stores are normally town ordinances and not company policy. Enforcement is often "secondary" (only enforced as an addition to a primary violation) or complaint-based. If you are moving on down the road, you will be passing through other towns that do not have such policies.

Thank you for asking this. I was thinking about sleeping during the day and driving at night to help save money and to actually be a little more safe when I sleep. I learned so much from the replies. I especially forgot about all the critters and the fact that if you're traveling in beautiful regions you'll miss the scenery.

This is a great topic!  Lots of awesome feedback.

For me personally, I don't think I could switch my sleep schedule.  Maybe, with time, but I love going to bed early (9p-ish) and getting up at the butt crack of dawn!  My favorite time to drive is getting started 1-2 hours before the sun comes up.

If you are super stealthy, you should be able to sleep just about anywhere (read the signs, obey the ordinance).

I am concerned about finding a place where the temp won't get too hot during the day if the sun is out.

+1! And they love big white vans.

In 30+ years of driving I never came even close to hitting a deer.
I get my van and start building it out, I hit two within 6 months, both early morning.
The first totalling the van (I bought it back and continued with the project) and the second I repaired myself.

That said, there is an appeal to doing your driving and covering large stretches of interstate at night when traffic is minimal.
And interstates are less likely to have critters than winding back roads.

If i was taking a winding scenic route, I'd do it daytime.
I'm slabbing it on I70 to make time East-West, nighttime.

I once had a deer hit me in broad daylight. I had to explain that to the insurance company. While driving a deer ran in front of me. I stopped in time not to hit it, but the deer that was running behind it had faulty brakes. His horn came through my drivers window and nearly got me. It broke off the side mirror. I got T boned by a critter. He ran off, so it was a hit and run. I asked if my uninsured fund would cover it, they said comprehensive would take care of it.

I worked the night shifts most of my life. I think night driving may be safer. You may have to deal with one animal as opposed to dealing with thousands of idiots, (they are in bed sleeping). In the summer during the day I am all sealed up with air conditioning. At night the window is usually down with wind in my hair. Driving at night you may have less to look at, or be distracted by.

The last 3 years that I had to work I had a day shift job. I got a puppy. I retired and now this old dog thinks I need to be up by 7 am.

I have never hit a deer came real close on several occasions but no contact. my sister on the other hand has hit several she had a sales job in the pacific north west and put on many, many miles driving every year. highdesertranger

If you're just passing through, why not just stay at a truck stop and then be on your way?