Drawbacks of a Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mpruet said:
Yes, but that would make me vulnerable to having to go to a specialty shop for mechanical problems.  The appeal of a van is that maintenance would be easier.  Also from my experience with my class-a, if the van is older then you can expect to have troubles with the fridge or other devices in the house.  If I were to go with a van then I could start out with new house appliances.

Thats one thing I never understood. Why house appliances?
 With the exception of a micowave they make everything in 12 volt DC.
You don't even need to convert from DC solar power to AC.
My DC coffepot is seriously going on 23-24 years.

Alcatraz said:

I guess I didn't make my point well.  

If I were to buy a used class-b, then I would also be getting all of the old appliances that went with that class-b.  I know that the appliances in any RV will wear down at a different rate than the chassis.  With my class-A, I ended having to replace the fridge, the TV, the washing machine, etc.  All of those were rather expensive to replace.  If I were to go with a van conversion, then I would be using mostly 12 volt DC.  Not only that, but I would be getting appliances that would be easily replaced.  I wouldn't  have to take the rig into a RV repair shop for an extended period of time for replacement of appliances like I do now.

Alcatraz said:

I guess I didn't make my point well.  

If I were to buy a used class-b, then I would also be getting all of the old appliances that went with that class-b.  I know that the appliances in any RV will wear down at a different rate than the chassis.  With my class-A, I ended having to replace the fridge, the TV, the washing machine, etc.  All of those were rather expensive to replace.  If I were to go with a van conversion, then I would be using mostly 12 volt DC.  Not only that, but I would be getting appliances that would be easily replaced.  I wouldn't  have to take the rig into a RV repair shop for an extended period of time for replacement of appliances like I do now.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
That theory probably works most places.  However, I read somewhere that state parks in Hawaii have parking lots that are 1/4 mile or so from the tent sites.  You have to park in the parking lot and carry your gear to your site.  And no sleeping in vehicles allowed

Get a small enough van (I have a minivan with a high-top) and you can park it in the tent sites for only a few bucks a night, compared to the RV sites.  
You likely won't get water or electrical, but for just a night or two you really shouldn't need it.  I have water and solar, so I do just fine in those regards.  

I only suggest this because you said you've camped in a Prius.  Compared to the Toyota, a little van would feel like a luxury.  :p

djkeevI would say that the #1 drawback to a Van is that the Van IS your vehicle. 
You want to go shopping, pack up the Van and go
You want to hiking, pack up the Van and go
You want to visit a place of interest, Pack up the van and go.

You get the idea.......

My system is to never unpack the van at all.  OK, maybe a comfy chair outside or my awning out, but that' it.  If I need to go somewhere, I just toss the chair inside and leave.

steamjam1 said:
I miss the simplicity of living in a regular passenger van. No appliances, plumbing or wiring to go wonky. Just me and the basics.

As one designs their "Van", there is no reason one has to go down the path of "Appliances, plumbing, or wiring". Our custom van build has none of that and yet we can cook, shower, poop, and charge all our electronic gadgets. It's all in the way one chooses to go camping-in-a-metal-tent (how we designed our rig) or living-in-a-home-on-wheels (with all that stuff that can "go-wonky" !)

:) Thom

Turtlelady said:
Hi, Thom. Loving that elegant portable hammock stand!  TurtleLady

OHGOSH!! You are the one that started it all.
Great to see you in the forums : )

Thom

Latest posts